991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Blue Baron: CXX '16 Targa GTS Build

Old 03-01-2016, 09:43 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With great pleasure and humility, I'm thrilled to share one of the very last 991.1 cars built to customer specifications. Originally, I was planning to hold off until my 50th birthday for such an indulgence; however, advent of the turbocharged .2 left me scrambling for a NA engine. Since I already own a one-of-one PTS/LTS '97 993TT TechArt TA01, the plan was always to procure a NA car in my next purchase. (The sounds of an air breathing 3.8 send chills down my spine.) Scouring dealers around the country in late September '15, I was able to find an open and changeable allocation Targa GTS at Porsche of Conshohocken.

After securing this spot, I reached out to the lovely and gracious Melissa Witek at PCNA to spec the car. She and I worked closely together to utilize all available creative outlets at Porsche Exclusive. No stone was left unturned. In fact, some of the options ultimately applied to the Blue Baron could only be priced on an ex post facto basis as they represent unchartered territory for the factory. As I type this, I still don't have a clue about the final MSRP.

My goal was to build a truly bespoke grand tourer. To that end, GTS-defining elements were retained but subtly reimagined. The 20" CL Turbo S wheels, usually in trademark satin black, are now factory painted in classic GT Silver to complement the targa hoop (Option CXX). The black script model designation on the doors was deleted (Option 498) but then later added back in with GT Silver script to match the wheels (Option CXX). This thoughtful, yet nuanced, approach also carries over to the interior. More details on those touches at a later time.

This one-off Targa emerged from the assembly line and entered Porsche's Custom Tailoring the day before Christmas '15. The Blue Baron was born on January 25, 2016 and represents one of the very last 991.1 Carreras. The opportunity to spec a classic car -- before it was ever. even. built. -- is nothing short of a dream come true. It's important to thank several people who played an instrumental role during the planning stage. Eduardo (Z356) is more knowledgeable about Porsche Exclusive than most alive. His threads on RennList are epic and for good reason. Profound gratitude to STG991, Larry Cable, Opo, T4Svet, TRAKCAR and many others at RL for their remarkable willingness to share.

Shout outs to my old friends made at 6Speed nearly a decade ago: MABf355, Kevinw1523, JoeyG, Still Lost, JSchumann, namdoogwerdna and Pearlcoupeg35 (now a diehard Porsche guy). You gents have become family over the years. Kudos to my SA, Eric Exley, for his limitless patience and support. Props also to Jamie Dillon and Daniel Margrave for so graciously procuring special permission from corporate on the European Delivery, thereby making an epic trip possible.

Lastly, a HUGE thank you to my Dad who daily drove high-mileage cars straight through his thirties and forties -- despite having the means to drive a nicer ride -- simply so my sister and I could get an easier start in life. This, truly, is what self sacrifice and love are about. That having been said, Dad, you and Mom never should have sold the black over red leather '64 Impala convertible that you bought new. But that beauty surely imprinted me with my earliest memory and instilled a love for open top cars.

I'm starting this thread not just to share a once-in-a-lifetime automotive experience, but also to leave a small yet lasting legacy for my future son. This truly extra-special delivery is inbound on March 4th.

Junior, when you find this thread circa 2030, I hope you get a kick out of it. If you turn out to be a car guy -- no pressure, but it'd be cool -- the Blue Baron will be yours one day. If mankind doesn't self-annihilate and the 'Net doesn't implode under its own weight, you may also find yourself part of one of the longest running automotive threads out there since you'll literally grow up with this car in the background. Just remember Daddy's 3 Rules: change the oil every 5,000 miles (or yearly), no eating in the car and let a 356 win a street race. Plus always listen to your beautiful Momma. Hope the baby pics don't embarrass you too much.

Let the fun begin... '
THE BLUE BARON '16
911 Targa 4 GTS
N1 Sapphire Blue
GR Black Leather Interior incl. Alcantara
GTS Package in Rhodium Silver
P3K Burmester Audio Package
023 Instrument Dial in Silver
498 Deletion of Model Designation
602 LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
638 ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
XAJ Side Skirts Painted / Exclusive
CNG Rear Fascia Painted / Exclusive
XUB Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior Color / Exclusive
XYB Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish / Exclusive
487 Manual Transmission
658 Power Steering Plus
450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)
435 20" 911 Turbo S Wheels
088 GTS Interior Package
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory
342 Seat Heating (Front)
583 Smoking Package
509 Fire Extinguisher
CPK Vehicle Key Painted / Exclusive
CUR PCM Display Surround in Leather / Exclusive
CZW Dashboard Trim in Leather / Exclusive (Leather in Black, Stitching in Rhodium Silver)
CLP Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara / Exclusive
CXN Rear in Leather / Exclusive (Leather in Black, Stitching in Rhodium Silver)
840 SportDesign Steering Wheel
CTK Air Vents in Leather / Exclusive (Leather in Black, Stitching in Rhodium Silver)
CUJ Fuse Box in Leather / Exclusive (Leather in Black, Stitching in Rhodium Silver)
XNS Steering Column Casing in Leather / Exclusive
CPE Leather Key Pouch / Exclusive (Leather in Black, Stitching in Rhodium Silver)
XLU Sun Visors in Alcantara / Exclusive
CLN Belt Outlet Trim in Alcantara / Exclusive
XXB Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated / Exclusive
900 European Delivery (Zuffenhausen)
CXX Individually Commissioned Equipment

Last edited by TorqueChap; 06-03-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Great story.

Great car and congrats. Whatta build!! I can't even make out those build specs. Good thing we'll never see this in "hot for sale".

Great place to share your story here. Really a great bunch of enthusiasts with a common love.

Look forward to the pics!

In the meantime, keep us content with pics (as in many) of the 993TT Please! Please! Please!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:06 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

The appreciation is heartfelt STG.

Will post pics of the Targa when I see it in Stuttgart. If the anticipation becomes unbearable, I might just post a few 993TT pics in the interim.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Great story. Can't wait for the pictures. Hope you and your son like conditioning leather (gonna be a near-full-time job.)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:20 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by worf928
Great story. Can't wait for the pictures. Hope you and your son like conditioning leather (gonna be a near-full-time job.)
Haha Putting the little guy to work on wheel and leather duty the second he can walk. I'm kidding.... sort of.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:09 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Very nice....looking forward to your initial impression after driving it. I am sure it's going to be special. Drive it in good health!
PS: lots of pics please. Always love seeing targas.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:11 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdkrp
Very nice....looking forward to your initial impression after driving it. I am sure it's going to be special. Drive it in good health!
PS: lots of pics please. Always love seeing targas.
Thanks mdkrp. I fell in love with the 991 targa when it was introduced. Something about those lines simply move me. Pics to follow for sure.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:30 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Great story and what a build. Really look forward to seeing this special car someday in realtime. T
Old 03-01-2016, 11:35 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Can't wait to share 77tony. Appreciate the kind words.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:41 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Awesome story. And pics of Baron and Jr please. Best of luck.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:44 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by br911
Awesome story. And pics of Baron and Jr please. Best of luck.
You got it br911 Stay tuned!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:22 AM
RupeTN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to share the story. Looking forward to pics of the new ride, surely will bring you lots of smiles.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

You're most welcome RupeTN! Pics will be forthcoming.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:31 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You are truly gifted with words and constructed a masterpiece. Congratulations.

Excellent idea on the thread archive for you son and nice touch with the heart felt thank you to your parents too. I am sure they feel appreciated outside of the public gesture, you seem truly grateful.

What an epic thread even without pictures.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:48 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rxtrom
You are truly gifted with words and constructed a masterpiece. Congratulations.

Excellent idea on the thread archive for you son and nice touch with the heart felt thank you to your parents too. I am sure they feel appreciated outside of the public gesture, you seem truly grateful.

What an epic thread even without pictures.
Sincere thanks rxtrom. It's a wonderful, strange time where I suddenly want to live forever but am acutely aware of my own mortality.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Blue Baron: CXX '16 Targa GTS Build