Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Most Days in Life Don't Stand Out, But These Do!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:20 AM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Most Days in Life Don't Stand Out, But These Do!

This is the story of a road trip with my dad to get my first Porsche!

I started my long journey toward Porsche 993 ownership in June 2013. Originally, I was exclusively looking for a 964. At the time prices had just started rising and decent C2's could be had in the mid 20's. Oh, how the times have changed. I passed on several great cars b/c they were asking low 30s I looked at several cars that had wild stories and washed titles while still more had deferred maintenance and needed a ton of work

I learned a huge amount of patience during this process and also that if I was going to get a great "drivers" car I would need a large amount of knowledge of these specific cars and do my due diligence. I have spent more than my fair share of nights reading old posts on RL and looking up to find its 2 AM!

I finally branched out my search to include 993s and 997s in January of 2014. I test drove a 997S and it was a lot of fun and very quick, but it was missing that wow factor. Don't get me wrong, I would love to own one, hell I almost bought that one, but I wanted an older car, something with soul and history and character. I wanted to be the curator of the car, the care taker so to say on its journey through life So I stuck to the air cooled market. Almost a year after including 993s in my daily searches I found this little gem on Pelican.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...very-nice.html Pelican for sale Ad

I was super excited slate grey was one of my top color choices and the car looked great in the for sale ad. Ironically enough Rudy had just bought his GR Turbo from this same dealer a month earlier and he happened to be traveling to Dallas that very same weekend I saw the car posted. He graciously agreed to do a RL PPI for me and even brought his paint meter! He also brought along several RL members to take a look at the car at Dallas Motorsports. Turns out the car was owned by a well known RL member (Jason) and was maintained to the highest standard. RL even helped me connect with him prior to my purchase and he provided a plethora of information that just affirmed I was purchasing a well cared for car. RL truly is an awesome place

So I called up Jared at Dallas Motorsports, we struck a deal and I put down a deposit pending PPI. ZIMS in Dallas performed the PPI and it came back strong. So, I booked flights for my dad and I and prepared to have a trip we will both remember for a lifetime. Our plan was to travel from Dallas to Little Rock on Friday, Little Rock to Knoxville on Saturday, and back home to Raleigh on Sunday.

On the day of the trip, Friday January 9th, I was a ball of nerves! They had been forecasting snow in Dallas for Friday and Saturday! I didn't even know it snowed in Texas at all. I had never been on a long road trip. What if it snowed/rained the entire trip? Would the 993 live up to all the hype? Would it be the car I have dreamed of owning for so long? What if it wasn't all that and a bag of chips? I am pretty inexperienced with manual transmissions, what if it was difficult to drive? How would I handle this massive disappointment? All these anxious thoughts would soon be put to rest

Anyway, my dad and I finally made it to Dallas. Jared kindly picked us up at the airport, I bought the car, and our road trip had begun. The car was as described and in great condition, the only issue is a few rock chips. Here is the car as it sat right before we embarked.

At the last minute while we were leaving Dallas, thanks to some amazing advice from JB 911 and Texas993, we detoured north through Oklahoma toward the Talimena Scenic Drive. Here is a map of the route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Plan...34.5862171!3e0
Thankfully the weather was cooperating and the sun came out in the afternoon. These were some of the best roads we saw on the entire journey. If you live near them, you must go drive them. The roads were practically deserted. We had the entire road and all the twisties to ourselves.

Just getting into Oklahoma, I actually missed this opportunity and had to turn around to get this picture

Sardis Lake in Oklahoma surrounded by mountains. The bridge we stopped on had to be over a mile long

If anyone could photoshop my huge shadow out that would be great

We made it to Talihina, OK (right outside the Talimena Park) and stopped to refuel. At this point all my anxious thoughts have faded away. The 993 is a joy to drive. In short, it's an assault on the senses. The way the steering feels, the way the old leather and hot oil permeate the car with a unique scent, the way it handles curves, its striking looks, it is so much fun in such a small package. This is when I found the one thing I do not enjoy about my 993.....the gas cap. The gas cap is a righteous little b*tch to get on and off. I would put all my force into it, when it finally released I wasn't able to stop the rotation of my hand quick enough to keep my knuckles from hitting the latch mechanism. Regardless, what's a little pleasure without a little pain?

Beautiful old iron bridge right outside Talihina, OK
Old 01-24-2015, 01:21 AM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was getting dusky by the time we made it to the Talimena Scenic Drive, but it was still breath taking. Driving through the twisties as it was getting dark was no problem thanks to the HIDs that Jason had installed

Night time set in about the time we made it to the Arkansas state line

We made it to Little Rock, AR about 9PM Friday night and settled into our hotel. My biggest fear was that the car would get stolen on our trip. When we arrived, I backed into a space, turned the wheels, put it in reverse and pulled the DME Relay. Might have been overkill but I wanted to be sure my ownership lasted more than 1 day To my great relief she was right where I left her the next morning.

It was 19 degrees F when we left the hotel, so she was a little frosty

We decided that we would hit up Stuttgart, AR on the way to Memphis. Why? Because PORSCHE

After hitting up Stuttgart to see which ducks had built my 993 in which flooded rice patty, we headed back to I-40 and East toward Memphis. This was my first time seeing the mighty Mississippi River as well as my 993s first time there It did not disappoint.

We actually met some Germans in this little park by the Mississippi River and they loved the car!

We also stopped at Gus' Fried Chicken in downtown Memphis. Probably some of the best fried chicken I have ever eaten. Nice and spicy

Just hangin out on the street in downtown Memphis

After we got our chicken fix we hit the road again, on the way to the Loveless Cafe in Nashville, TN. Only 3 hours away after we had just stuffed our faces with fried chicken. A boy has got to eat right? Plus we couldn't pass up some of the best biscuits in America.

The biscuits were good, but the different homemade jams are what made them the best!

After getting full, again, we hit the road and made our way to Knoxville. The next morning I was blessed with the site of this beautiful shape sitting right where I left her. It's funny, I have not gotten used to how small these old 911s are. That's a Chrysler 200 parked beside me. A compact car by today's standards and it looks like a pig parked next to the Porsche....well it's a pig anyway but you get the idea. This started the last day of our journey, we were both getting a little tired and ready to get home, but we still got a few more pictures.

It's amazing that I find myself coming out of a gas station, restaurant, ect and I see this beautiful shape and it just makes me want to start taking pictures This is at a gas station just east of Knoxville, TN and yes I cut my hand open again here, damn gas cap

The Smokey Mountains

BACK IN NC!

At her new home

Took the wifey on a trip to Whole Foods after we got back! She approves!

Some things I noticed from my short amount of time with the car:
-Like I stated earlier, it's an assault on the senses. It reminds you that you have to be alive to drive the car. It requires constant involvement, is a thrill to drive, and it is very rewarding when you "get it right"
-The car gave me absolutely zero issues in the 1400 miles we drove back to NC. It started right up regardless of the 19 degree temperatures. It seems like it will be extremely reliable.
-I love the way the horn sounds. It reminds me of Herbie, in a good way.
-I love the way the car smells, it is very distinct.
-The car does not like cruising around parking lots, she is geared for one thing....and that is to GO
-The maxflow mufflers and motor sound together sound awesome. Although there is some droning around 2500 RPM, nothing a lower gear won't rectify My wife told me, when I started looking, the only requirement for the Porsche is that it's got to be fast and it's got to be loud. (you see why I married her?) I'd have to agree with her too What's the point of having a sports car if it sounds like a Camry?
-I noticed the clutch pedal is slightly sticky when it's cold. Any thoughts on that? I usually give the car no gas in 1st from a stop because it has so much torque. When it's cold sometimes the clutch pedal is a little jerky.

Overall, this has been an awesome experience, and I loved every minute of driving this baby back to NC. My dad and I had a blast and I do not regret for a second taking this trip to go get her. Would having it delivered have been more convenient? Sure, but these are days I spent with my dad that I will never forget and that is irreplaceable.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:31 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Road trip

Welcome!!! What a great family journey. (These intro threads just keep getting gooder & gooder )

Slate Grey is a favorite color, & your 'new' ride's a perfect example why.
Originally Posted by Jlbarnett

the horn reminds me of Herbie, in a good way.
^^
Originally Posted by Jlbarnett

I love the way the car smells, it is very distinct.
Smellerholics Anonymous awaits

Drive safe & enjoy, & - again - welcome to the slippery slope, Jarrett!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:43 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonderful pictures and story. Glad you guys had a great trip!

I remember seeing your posts the past year or so looking for a 964 or 993. I was looking for either as well and I also ended up with a 993. No regrets.

Enjoy in good health

Ps I know that feel of leaving your 993 at a hotel and hoping it is still there in the morning.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:51 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

Great story. Thanks for posting.

A good Porsche smells like burnt oil and leather. Nothing better than that.

Congrats on the car. It looks like a keeper.

/
Old 01-24-2015, 04:20 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome story! Congrats and thanks for sharing this with us!
Old 01-24-2015, 05:49 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Congratulations on the 993 and what a great road trip you and your Dad shared ,,one of life,s great moments you will always remember ..............Just dosn,t get any better
Old 01-24-2015, 09:35 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great way to enter the Porsche world! Its always great to start with a long drive to get to know the car!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:36 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice write up. Congrats!

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, hardback sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 01-24-2015, 10:10 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Looks like a beautiful car and a fun trip with your dad. Congrats!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:43 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

What a great way to enter Porsche ownership, and a great job documenting the entire trip. This will be one of those wonderful life events that are sure to be locked up in your long term memory. That's a long trip. Glad it was uneventful for you both. Love the story and photos. Great color BTW!!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pics and cool trip. Welcome to 993 ownership.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great intro story and pictures. Congratulations and welcome.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:00 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Great Shared Experience

Beautiful car! Cudos for being lucky to have that experience with your dad. Was your attractive wife just posing? You did not let her drive it did you????
Kidding of course.....WELCOME!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:26 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats on a great trip and a great start to your car. No better way to bring a car home.

Love this pic. One week of ownership and you already have a worthy 'view from the loft' contribution. I am a little biased, but whenever I see shots like that I can't help but think that this is one of the best looking sportcars ever made. Enjoy

Quick Reply: Most Days in Life Don't Stand Out, But These Do!