Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:13 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 997 S Project Coming

Hello RL. I am getting closer to my dream 997.1 Porsche. This will be my project car (not selling will drive the wheels off once completed). It is a clean title chassis and I am buying it from a dismantler. I won't take deliver of the car for a few months but know it needs an engine and transmission (Tiptronic). I wonder if I can put in a manual Well lots of decisions to come.

I have owned may cars caprice classic to my current M5 e39 and my Cayenne S. I was looking for a 4s 996 but decided a 997.1 will fit the bill. I like a project so this should be fun. I do need a left side fender though so some pix will be coming of the car. I also was wondering if a 3.4, 3.6 L engine would work in a 2006 S. Ideally the 3.8l would be nice but at 17k (I don't have a core engine to give). But the 6 or 7k 3.6l will probably do nicely. Anyone want to share how their similar projects worked out? Thanks.

dtv
Old 09-10-2014, 12:41 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like fun. I will enjoy watching your project. I haven't messed with the 997 yet,but I just finished a full restoration on a 993. I love a good project.:thumb up:

Emerald
Old 09-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont care HOW you do it but please put a 6sp in there.

hmm, i wonder since it's def a project car anyway, if the old and tired debates of "can i put a GT engine in/can i put a turbo on" would actually be meaningful here? maybe in this case there's actually a different answer than, it's cheaper to by a GT/Turbo.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:46 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

If you have the funds... maybe consider a 3.9 or 4.0 engine from Flat6. http://flat6innovations.com/ Check with Jake Raby over there. They may be able to give you guidance re the 6 speed conversion as well. Great to see more RLers doing these types of projects. GL and keep us posted.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:47 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well, I officially own a clean title rolling chassis. it has no engine, no transmission and no engine harness as they were removed when the 3.8l engine and tip tranny were harvested. I swore I would never get another blue car but I guess you never say never. I am going to go very stock and basis with this car as it will be my 2nd Porsche and first 911. I had offers for my e39 M5 in the 20s but decided not to sell. I was going to use the money for a 911. I decided to have some fun and save a 911. I would love to have a manual but the tip will do just fine. Thanks for the input on Flat6. I will be looking at them when I get ready to source my engine and tranny. I have also thought about buying a donor car as well. The 3.6L will be ok to, however with the S badge I hope to be able to get the 3.8L. For me the upgraded interior was a big factor. The chance to maybe put in an engine is exciting.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Thanks for the input on Flat6. I will be looking at them when I get ready to source my engine and tranny.
Give us plenty of time... My current backlog for reconstructions would complete the project in July of 2015 if we got started today.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:49 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Wow, that's some backlog. You are either the best or the only game in town ). I won't get started til after Xmas.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Wow, that's some backlog. You are either the best or the only game in town ). I won't get started til after Xmas.
No production here, these engines are hand crafted by a single pair of hands from start to finish. The last time I checked an engine took us 125 hours to complete from the time the car arrived, till the time it went back on the truck to go home.
We were the "first" game in town and we've trained all our competitors, except one.. I just instructed another class that had a competitor in attendence. Thats the biggest compliment that I can get.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:10 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well, I thought I would share some pictures of the future "Blumajik-II" Blumajik I is the E39 M5 LMB. I am really excited about this project. I am on a journey to find out what engines mate up to a 2006 Carrera S 911 as well as the type of tiptronic transmission that can be mated. I am going for the most straight forward installs. However I will certainly throw on some "goodie" items if necessary. The chassis is currently in a nice cool warehouse until I am ready to collect it. During this time I will be sourcing an engine and transmission and corresponding bits (harness etc.) for the car. My goal is to have a car I can be safe and proud of. I am not looking to sell or flip this car. Once I am done with it I will give it to my nephew if/when he graduates from college. I will take some more pictures next week with more details. Here are some initial shots though.

as you can see most parts are there. Those are not paint scratches but the light reflecting. I will need a gas cover, two front calipers and a front left fender and bumper to get started with the exterior bits. I hope to learn a lot doing this project. However I do want to help out an automotive training school as well if they want to help me on this project.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:50 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

Man i'm pretty sure if you leave it as a tiptronic it wont be your car forever...have you driven one of these in an automatic?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:38 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Man i'm pretty sure if you leave it as a tiptronic it wont be your car forever...have you driven one of these in an automatic?
I have driven a C4S 6 speed and I have not had an automatic car since 2000. I am not sure if a manual 6speed would mate up well and I want to avoid most issues if I can. I would like the weight difference though. Oh I had an A4 rental which had a tiptronic like shifter and it was quite nice. Of course I love the buttery smooth M car 6 speed.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Honestly, I like the tiptronic cars in respect to performance. The trans is geared perfectly to match the RPM range of these engines. When we build big bore engines, the tip cars are generally faster than their manual counterparts.

Lots of Turbos are tips, too...
Old 09-17-2014, 01:18 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice starting point. Midnight blue (?), full leather, sport chrono, Sport steering wheel, 19" lobsters. Did you get it from LA Auto Dismantlers?

Panorama had an article recently on a guy who converted a 964 Speedster from Tip to manual, and it was a big project.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcheves
Nice starting point. Midnight blue (?), full leather, sport chrono, Sport steering wheel, 19" lobsters. Did you get it from LA Auto Dismantlers?

Panorama had an article recently on a guy who converted a 964 Speedster from Tip to manual, and it was a big project.
Yes my friends st LADISMANTLERS have some great parts and cars there. I will probably be sourcing from them as well. I am sure they sold the parts they needed but it's a big Porsche world out there. I am trying to get an options list so any help is appreciated. I may do the "authentic porsche" request from Porsche.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Geez, no lack of a Tip haters lately on RL. I've owned six manual cars, loved them all, but I've never sat in my 911 Tiptronic and thought "damn this sucks".

To the OP, those May not be scratches, but she is heavily swirled. A paint correction, after parts assuming you don't have a DA and some Menzerna, will be $200 and 12 hours, putting the icing on your projects cake.

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming