Notices

Local Performance Tire Distributors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 05:28 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Local Performance Tire Distributors?

Just wondering where people are buying their track/autocross tires from locally. Tire Rack is great but with the Canadian dollar being the way it is, hard to justify going through them. Guess it's always going to be a pay to play sort of deal but I'd rather not pay an additional 35% for a set of tires if possible.

Last edited by DasSilberWedge; 03-19-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 PM
WestCan997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last 3 sets I have bought for my Mercedes and the 997 have come from

http://www.1010tires.com
Old 03-05-2016, 08:58 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by WestCan997
The last 3 sets I have bought for my Mercedes and the 997 have come from

http://www.1010tires.com
Thanks I'll give em a shot
Old 03-18-2016, 02:42 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm assuming performance tire -> MPSS, PS2 or similar and not track tires (NT01, Trofeo R, etc.)

I've found 1010 to be pretty pricey vs Tirerack even with exchange factored in... I've had good luck with (believe it or not..) Costco and Canadian Tire. If they don't have them or are too expensive I've also used Discount Tire in Bellingham.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by mistermct
I'm assuming performance tire -> MPSS, PS2 or similar and not track tires (NT01, Trofeo R, etc.)

I've found 1010 to be pretty pricey vs Tirerack even with exchange factored in... I've had good luck with (believe it or not..) Costco and Canadian Tire. If they don't have them or are too expensive I've also used Discount Tire in Bellingham.
Yeah I've had really good luck with Canadian Tire with my two sets of Michelins for our other cars. Heard good things about Discount Tire so might end up going there but depends on what they carry.

My apologies, I should have been more specific in what I'm looking for. I am actually looking for track oriented tires for autocross and hopefully the occasional DE. I've really been eyeing up the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs and just recently noticed 1010 has them. Haven't price checked them yet. Also debating a set of BFG R1 S and Trofeo R. Still a ways off in pulling the trigger but was just curious for when I get serious.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:54 PM
mistermct
Racer

SCAN in North Van apparently gets good prices on the Trofeo R. From what I understand the Trofeo R is in a different class (faster tire, faster wear) than R1S or ZII Star Spec. For autocross and occasional DE the RE71R is very popular right now and fast but they wear out quickly relative to Dunlop and RS3 and sizing may be limited... what sizes are you looking for?

FWIW... I'm currently on the Yokohama AD08R (ordered from Tirerack) and I may test the Trofeo R as my next tire given the CADUSD exchange shift in the past 9 months. I have very limited selection because of rear tire size 295/30/18 so I basically have to choose between AD08R, MPSC2, or Trofeo R and the Trofeo is likely the easiest to get locally. Long story, hope it helps.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:19 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

SCAN in North Van apparently gets good prices on the Trofeo R. From what I understand the Trofeo R is in a different class (faster tire, faster wear) than R1S or ZII Star Spec. For autocross and occasional DE the RE71R is very popular right now and fast but they wear out quickly relative to Dunlop and RS3 and sizing may be limited... what sizes are you looking for?

FWIW... I'm currently on the Yokohama AD08R (ordered from Tirerack) and I may test the Trofeo R as my next tire given the CADUSD exchange shift in the past 9 months. I have very limited selection because of rear tire size 295/30/18 so I basically have to choose between AD08R, MPSC2, or Trofeo R and the Trofeo is likely the easiest to get locally. Long story, hope it helps.
Oh ok that's interesting. I was thinking of going to them at some point to have the car corner balanced anyways so might have to ask for a quote. Only looking for 225/50/R16s for my 944 S2 so my options are pretty open thankfully. I liked the Dunlops as the 944 steering racks are known to be slow, hoping they might help with turn in a bit & they last longer than the RE71Rs so that's a nice bonus for not much of a performance drop. RS3s seem like a great tire too. Trofeo R essentially the ultimate tire but it largely comes down to price and accessibility locally more than anything.

Appreciate the help!

Hardly a bad group of tires you're 'stuck' with
Old 03-29-2016, 02:27 PM
mistermct
Racer

It's a great group of tires... just all pricey! I'd love to experiment with the Rival S / RS3 / Dunlop to be a little more cost-effective.

Just saw this review http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=202

Have you looked at Kumho V720? If this wears similarly to the Rival S or Dunlop this could be a great alternative to the RE71R..
Old 03-29-2016, 02:59 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

It's a great group of tires... just all pricey! I'd love to experiment with the Rival S / RS3 / Dunlop to be a little more cost-effective.

Just saw this review http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=202

Have you looked at Kumho V720? If this wears similarly to the Rival S or Dunlop this could be a great alternative to the RE71R..
No kidding! Wish I could throw away money at tires and experiment too..

No I haven't really considered them. Guessing I should as SRT has had massive success with the Kumhos on the Viper ACR. Still pretty sold on the Dunlops though.. Price difference of only $33 after mail-in rebate. I know pricing can be totally different based on region though. We've been looking for PSS for our M5 and funny enough Canadian Tire sells them for the same shown price on TireRack but in CAD!
Old 03-29-2016, 03:01 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
No kidding! Wish I could throw away money at tires and experiment too..

No I haven't really considered them. Guessing I should as SRT has had massive success with the Kumhos on the Viper ACR. Still pretty sold on the Dunlops though.. Price difference of only $33 after mail-in rebate. I know pricing can be totally different based on region though. We've been looking for PSS for our M5 and funny enough Canadian Tire sells them for the same shown price on TireRack but in CAD!
I would hop on those PSS asap before they adjust their prices if/when stock goes away... I missed out on them for our STI and now they're 20%+ more expensive
Old 04-05-2016, 09:17 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

I'm in the same boat looking for summer tires for my a4. So many brands to choose from with varying degrees of price and performance. Paralysis by analysis.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:57 AM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
I'm in the same boat looking for summer tires for my a4. So many brands to choose from with varying degrees of price and performance. Paralysis by analysis.
Summer tire and no track? MPSS makes an easy no-brainer: great in wet and dry, wears like iron, competitive price.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:27 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 773 Posts

Summer tire and no track? MPSS makes an easy no-brainer: great in wet and dry, wears like iron, competitive price.
Agreed...the MPSS is an awesome tire. But I've given up looking for rears in 305/30/19 for my GTS and and am going RE-11. Costco can get 'em cheaper than anywhere I've seen in Canada, and WAY less than from TireRack. BTW, ordered a set of MPSSs for my Cayman from Costco...came in about $100 less all-in than 1010 and $400+ cheaper than TireRack.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:37 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Funny, I took a quick look the other day at the Dunlop ZII Star Specs down south with the exchange rate @ TireRack vs what it costs locally. Still worth it going south, at least for that tire..
Old 04-09-2016, 11:55 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
Funny, I took a quick look the other day at the Dunlop ZII Star Specs down south with the exchange rate @ TireRack vs what it costs locally. Still worth it going south, at least for that tire..
I'm finding the same thing with MPSS right now. Stupid Costco hasn't gotten any stock in last 4 months. I miss last year's pricing

Quick Reply: Local Performance Tire Distributors?