Notices

OT: Back to the Vaults

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Back to the Vaults

About 2 years ago the local PCA chapter, VIR, organized a visit to the shop of Rudi Koniczek (www.rudiandcompany.com). We went back last weekend.

Rudi is a true gentleman, passionate about what he does, and a gracious host. He came to Victoria in 1969 as a travelling M-B factory tech and decided this was the place. He setup shop in 1971, I may have even used it to service my BMW 2002 Tii back then, can't remember for sure. Through the years he started buying up M-B 300SL having a vision few others had. This has resulted in him being one of the top(if not the top) restorers of Mercedes-Benz 300SL’s.

For a motorhead his facility is beyond amazing. He said he has 23 300SLs (Gullwings and Roadsters) in inventory, 20 Ferrais, and a total of 80 vechicles all together.

At the shop/showroom were three 300 Sls finished, one in the finishing room, and five in the shop space.
In addition there was a Lagonda that had "done well" at Pebble and a Avions Voisin in the final stages destined for Pebble. Rudi stated that they had very high hopes for this car.

He brought the 356 in from storage for the Club and also as in Olympic theme.

The dark grey 300SL Gullwing is one of 29 alloy bodied. It is in for a freshing. Apperantly the owner turned down an offer for $5M. Rudi restored another alloy recently that sold for north of $4M at auction last year.

After about an hour at the shop we all headed over the "Vaults", which is were the rest of the cars are stored. It is very difficult to explain what one sees there, it just isn't expected. My posting from 2 years kinda of says it:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...dis-world.html

This year I was a little better prepared and boorrowed a Nikon D700 ( I usually us a D300) which has vey good low light performance so this year the pictures are a little better. Enjoy

http://jimbradley.smugmug.com/Cars/P...-To-Rudis-2014

Jim
Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pictures. An incredible collection and craftsman in Victoria no less. A friend of mine worked for him for a while doing restorations. Only the highest quality work was acceptable.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting....

Quick Reply: OT: Back to the Vaults