Notices

Castrol Raceway, Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Triple_T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castrol Raceway, Edmonton

Anyone have a chance to see this track or even drive on it yet?
http://www.castrolraceway.com/index....=road%20course
Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

The full course (2.7 km) isn't open yet. Tentative opening date is early August. The 1.1 km section is now open. I haven't driven it yet, but intend to, often.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact www.trackjunkies.ca they are on it all the time. I hear the full track will be open soon it looks like we're getting a few days without rain coming up.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Contact www.trackjunkies.ca they are on it all the time. I hear the full track will be open soon it looks like we're getting a few days without rain coming up.
Peter, Do you know who the guys behind Track Junkies are ??
Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Conekilr, it's Eurasia in Edmonton and Paul Conquest specifically.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Correct it's Paul's venture.
I drove the full track last Friday. Tight twisty track with some really awkward turns and not much flow, it won't be visited by my cup car anytime soon. They are going to make some changes in the near future to move more of the concrete barriers away from the edge of the track. Hopefully they gusset some of the tighter turns so you can carry more speed through the tighter sections.
Calgary's Exoticar group is out on it this Friday so we'll see how they do.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

My friend is a member of the Calgary club, and I just got back from a few laps as a passenger in his 458 Italia. Yes, lots of concrete (it won't take long for someone to kiss the wall so hopefully this can be addressed) and it does feel choppy.

http://www.castrolraceway.com/blog-1...ew_Road_Course
Old 08-31-2013, 12:58 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

I heard the barriers were too close and for some of us more amateur probably a bit to close to want to push it a bit. Strange that they set it up like that.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Well they have some pretty significant real estate limitations plus they bought all the Indy barriers and had to put them somewhere My understanding is that they're going to move them around a bit and make the best of the situation. Overall it's still a lot of fun to drive and hugely better than no track although you do have to be careful...
Old 12-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

I raced the Milledge 951 there on the first full race weekend. 1:27 lap time got me the pole. I couldn't get out of 4th gear on a six speed and it is a very busy track to drive. I eventually slid up and hit the last two pieces of concrete (neither of which should be there) coming out of the banked corner. I understand they'll be moving some of the unnecessary concrete and that should improve the bravery factor somewhat. That being said it's the best track we have in Alberta and I will be back as often as I can make it. There is a 1000 km endurance race scheduled for next summer that I'm looking forward to and they should have the best iteration of the track ready by then. There are discussions going on with the owners to improve dedicated paddock space, stands and facilities in general. Castrol seems to be very willing to work with all of the groups wanting to use the track.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

^ I've heard the same, the owners look to be working hard to improve the situation. Tough to be too judgmental on their first season in the road race business. Hopefully they get the curbing in place as well.
Your car back together yet Lanny?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

Working on it more or less every second weekend. It will be ready for the first race. The crash tore the drivers rear corner off and tweaked the frame horns front and rear but not all that seriously and most of it is remove & replace. I could have lifted and avoided all that. To plagiarize a famous road racer " I ran out of talent in the middle of the corner."
Old 12-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Good to hear you'll be back in action The car looks awesome...no running out of talent next year!!!

Quick Reply: Castrol Raceway, Edmonton