Old 07-24-2016, 04:08 PM
911newb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving past mere survival; time to learn how to drive

Name:  2016-07-19-0062.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  158.0 KB

I have come to believe that the first couple of DE events for the green run group are more about stress management than about learning driving techniques. There is an awful lot going on for a first time driver. You are concerned with the people in your rearview mirror. You aren't too worried about people in front of you because , at first, there aren't many. You are worried about braking, spinning and not leaving your instructor with the impression that you are a complete idiot. There is not a lot of room left in the brain to absorb much of the technical side of driving fast on a race track.

July was my 3rd DE event at LCMT. I have to admit that I was feeling pretty good about my progress so far. That feeling came from both my own observations about my driving and was reinforced by positive feedback from my wonderfully persnickety instructor Ken Wagner.

A few things occurred during the two day event that brought me some new insights.

Day one started off a bit wet and Ken had me run at a reduced pace. I would not have run so slowly were I on my own. I did not see standing puddles but it was wet enough that a friend in the blue run group spun in front of the tower. When I found out about the spin I was very grateful for Ken's caution. Hopefully that will be a lesson I retain for a while.

There was another spin, later in the dry that I saw manifested as a 50 foot high cloud of dust visible from my vantage spot on the tower(In either 10 or 13). I think I saw a yellow blur. Further food for thought.

The second learning experience was from going for a session with Ken in the passenger seat of his GT3. I am still processing the experience but it is clear that there is a world of learning ahead of me. The brake points, the severity of the braking, diferent lines, traction levels from the hoosiers, purposeful rotation of the car around corners and another dozen or so techniques that I am too green to even perceive.

A third situation occurred that I will no doubt learn from as well. As my driving has improved I progressed from staging near the back to avoid having people constantly passing me (Very stressful for a newcomer). I now want to stage near the front so that I am not dealing with first timers who brake erratically, take poor lines and who generally make me nervous to be around. (That would have been me two months ago) On day 1 I staged near a beautiful yellow GT4 (In the pic above) driven by a beautiful young driver. She was at our mentors meeting in the morning but I did not get her name. I think it was her first event. I noticed a red and a green sticker on her car so I assume her significant other is an instructor. On day 1 I was able to catch up to and pass her.

On day two I staged at the very front and she was at the front with me. It was apparent that she would get on the track first so when Ken asked me what my goal was for the session I said "to catch her". I managed to stay with her to Carousel, sort of. By the time I got to 10 she was at Namerow and by the time I got to the tower I never saw her again until the paddock. I am not the only one getting better but sheesh. Ken tried to make nice by pointing out she was on slicks.

There is a gorgeous x50 turbo soon to be for sale that was parked beside me. The super nice owner, Dan, offered me to take the car for a spin. I avoided the easy solution of a faster car (and r compound tires from Touchette) and made a decision.

It's time for me to learn how to drive.

I am no longer in a stressed out survival mode. A lot of the stuff that freaks out the new driver later gets dealt with on a subconscious level. Three sessions(six days) of repetitive stream of consciousness input from my supremely persnickety instructor have yielded results. "if you lift off in 15 again I am going to hit you" (I smile every time).

There have been a few whispers about moving me on to white soon. I am truly in no hurry. We greenies are so blessed to have, at our disposal, for free, extremely talented instructors that help us manage the stress and to, hopefully, learn enough driving skills to be safe to ourselves and others on the track. I will miss it when it passes.

I have been looking around for other learning tools to help me progress when I move on to solo. I think learning will always be a part of this for me. I don't want to stagnate or pick up bad habits that will be hard to unlearn with no instructor to 'correct ' me. To that end I bought a book called 'Going Faster" . There is another called 'Speed Secrets".

I also have expanded my Rennlist universe to include the DE sub forum. To any Green run group guys who feel they will stick with it and move on I can recommend a great thread that I found this morning.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-mentally.html

As always enormous thanks to Mike Delaney, Bob and Chris Rouleau, Ken Wagner and all the others who make Rennsport events possible. It is truly a special privilege to be a part of such a first class organization. Thank you.

PS. Looking for a ski boat driver for the next two weeks at the lake. I'll supply boat, beer and BBQ. Ken? I know you say you can drive. Maybe I can give you some pointers.........
Old 07-24-2016, 09:45 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Interesting Tom! It takes a while to process all the inputs and new data. Some of it will become "muscle memory" imbedded in there and no longer part of the conscious brain. It will be used as needed on immediate recall. More data will be forthcoming....it is a process and a progression that gets. Enter and smoother with more seat time.
BTW: Ken is a fantastic driver/instructor....
My take away, don't be in any kind of rush to go solo. Some of my best driving is done with a extra ballast in the shot gun seat. That "ballast" has the experience and ability to make minor adjustments to your driving that will help you to improve. It is their wealth of experience that it's simply invaluable. RSR is a phenomenal group of well trained drivers and instructors BECAUSE their driving training program is very disciplined. You won't really realize the truth of this statement until you run out of your region.....
GL and keep up the good work!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:38 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U r in great hands with KW!
Enjoy, look and listen.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
U r in great hands with KW!
Enjoy, look and listen.
And don't buy that turbo!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:42 AM
911newb
Instructor

thanks guys,

I was thinking about you, Rick, when I restrained myself from getting too excited about the Turbo. You and Erik both stressed the importance of learning to drive first before moving on to another vehicle. I've only put 7000 kilometers on this one after all ;-)

It's tough when the green group is full of fast cars. Spending more money does seem to offer an easy fix but it feels a bit like cheating. Kind of like all the auto rev matching going on when you are surrounded on all sides by GT4's. It sounds like being in the middle of an F1 race. No need to learn how to heel/toe for those guys/girls.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:47 AM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Go to sleep, you need some beauty rest.
First, wash your face, use soap, warm water and a clean towel.
Next, brush your teeth, then floss all of the teeth you want to keep,
Gargle with mouthwash.
Clean the sink, say your prayers, don't fart.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:01 AM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Tom, Don't sweat the car thing. I've probably got the slowest car on the track but I'm having fun and I'm holding my own as I learn to handle the car and learn the course. You are very enthusiastic and I'm sure you'll be in the whites shortly, but as the saying goes, be carefull what you wish for.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:13 AM
911newb
Instructor

Ken, I am feeling the pressure. Should I carry my speed from brushing through to the flossing? If I lift off in the transition will I end up in the toilet? So much information to process.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:16 AM
911newb
Instructor

James, I may not have been clear but I am in no rush to move to white. My rate of learning is so fast with Ken that it is like a drug. That will end without his inputs.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911newb

PS. Looking for a ski boat driver for the next two weeks at the lake. I'll supply boat, beer and BBQ. Ken? I know you say you can drive. Maybe I can give you some pointers.........
I'm pretty sure Ken could give you some tips here as well.....

http://www.kwy.ca/

Just saying

I am still pissed I missed the last event and I will likely miss the August as well due to a family wedding....unless I can find someone with a helicopter.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:35 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 911newb
thanks guys,

I was thinking about you, Rick, when I restrained myself from getting too excited about the Turbo. You and Erik both stressed the importance of learning to drive first before moving on to another vehicle. I've only put 7000 kilometers on this one after all ;-)

It's tough when the green group is full of fast cars. Spending more money does seem to offer an easy fix but it feels a bit like cheating. Kind of like all the auto rev matching going on when you are surrounded on all sides by GT4's. It sounds like being in the middle of an F1 race. No need to learn how to heel/toe for those guys/girls.
Keep focusing on the nut behind the wheel and your driving. You will soon be catching many of those people in the higher horsepower cars. There is no larger area for improvement in speed and time than the driver. Keep with what you have and you will be forced to really learn how to drive with what you have. Take a look at some of the very best drivers and they stepped DOWN in car and are absolute monsters on track (Cyril and Seb). You will continually see steps and breakthroughs with what you have right now...just keep the mind and attitude right (as you have now). Looking forward to seeing you at the August and Sept Rennsport events Tom.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Dont focus on other cars,
Not because they have more powerful cars that their line is better.

I was a party crasher in a few cars last event by telling my students to slow down. Guess what, they all thanks me after cause we really work on their line, vision, braking points and not the speed and they learned from me by telling me so.

I might not have 10-15 years of experience like some of the other instructors, but i really care about my students progression.

Why? Im really a passionnate and also, i learned it the hard way and i dont want the same things to happen to my students.

I jumped into racing cause DE wasnt enough for me. Where did i improved the must? Racing.

20x more than DE but thats not a DE vs racing debate.

My advice, take it cool, talk to your instructor.

Pratice, pratice and pratice.

Fyi: my boxster does 1.49 at lcmt with good tires.
Cayman probably 1.44 or less, not had a chance to test it yet

So forget the big boys in rs and gt4

Except erik, he knows how to wheel up a gt3

Last edited by Paseb; 07-25-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
I might not have 10-15 years of experience like some of the other instructors, but i really care about my students progression.
This
Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
Dont focus on other cars,
Not because they have more powerful cars that their line is better.

I was a party crasher in a few cars last event by telling my students to slow down. Guess what, they all thanks me after cause we really work on their line, vision, braking points and not the speed and they learned from me by telling me so.

Why? Im really a passionnate and also, i learned it the hard way and i dont want the same things to happen to my students.

I jumped into racing cause DE wasnt enough for me. Where did i improved the must? Racing.

20x more than DE but thats not a DE vs racing debate.

My advice, take it cool, talk to your instructor.

Pratice, pratice and pratice.

Fyi: my boxster does 1.49 at lcmt with good tires.
Cayman probably 1.44 or less, not had a chance to test it yet

So forget the big boys in rs and gt4

Except erik, he knows how to wheel up a gt3
Ha ! Say the guy who is 3 sec faster than my best time in his boxer when I have an RS.... Seb, was watching the Smartycam video of our run ans you holding up.3 fingers and telling me to brake for turn 10 at the 3 marker board - only to brake again at 4 1/2 because my attachments are raisins, and hearing you say " Whattya braking THERE for ?!?" LOL. Trying to put my big boy shorts on and pretend I know what I'm doing and know how to drive.....

Thanks again for sitting right seat with me. Sent you an email thru Rennlist...woukd like to send a link of the video.of our run and and a walk thru of my takeaways of your input corner by corner. Will be at the August and September events also.

Yes, I slowed my last session to hit the lines we discussed and did my personal.bests for the event by 2 sec plus....and was smoother and more there to take. Thank you. As you say, it's all about being comfortable and in control and your line. Looking for chunks when back this coming weekend with the BMW Group out of Boston - need the practice in advance of the August event.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:28 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Hey Tom - what I want you to take away here from my last post is that Seb, driving a Boxster, is 3 sec a lap plus faster than I am in that high powered Russian mistress that I have. THAT is ALL driver. Also, I learned a ton having Seb the Cayman / Boxster driver sitting right seat with me. There is performance in your car that you don't realize. We should all be fortunate enough to get to the skill.level.of.the Seb, Cyril and Dwayne (even though he's fast because he wears a thong). So, as Seb said, don't focus on the other cars. Focus on being the best you and driver you can be and the times will come. Also, you'll realize that it's so.much fun to manhandle a lower performance car. I frequently say that I miss my old 2003.Carrera....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving past mere survival; time to learn how to drive