Notices

Fister mod done locally

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
Yes - with the 996, get the deep sump oil kit. As you progress and become a bit quicker, you'll want this to help with oil scavenge issues. Think of it as preventative maintenance rather than a performance modification. Honestly Tom, I would suggest that you DONT do performance mods at this point. You need to get more comfortable and come to grips with the performance threshold of your car as is. Once you are good there, then you can mod - or just find your "Anastasia" ! Great also to hear that you are NOT focused on your wristnband color and advancing. You will when you are ready and running down isn't an issue as makes you learn a bit of track management. Keep the right attitude toward this and you will progress faster than you think. Will hopefully see you at the rest of the events for the remainder of the year (I'm also doing the Northeast and BMW Boston events in July !).
This is really good advice.... the biggest performance gain is between the seat and the steering wheel. Drop by next month for a chat, I can share half a dozen of examples. In the end it's about having fun and improving your driving skills, enjoy the journey.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:23 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I installed the EBS baffle for the last track days and ran with the oil level down 2 bars. For once, I had no smoke bombs! 😊
Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Default 996 C4S Mods

Tom, I had your identical car.
Though it had an '08 engine with the 'big bearing', I was always afraid of disaster.
The first mod I installed, was the deep sump kit, baffle and pan.

B&K - Short shift kit

Thereafter, well into White, it was suspension mods.

Mid Blue for R compound tires.

Seat time is the primary investment in performance.

Power is irrelevant...grip is essential.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Default Fister Mods

Thanks for keeping us abreast of the Fister mods.
The welds and photos are udderly gorgeous.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:26 PM
911newb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that Joe.

I just installed the mufflers this afternoon and I had an odd reaction to the result. I was simultaneously ecstatic and embarrassed. The sound is from angels in heaven. I could not have hoped for better. The car is quiet below 3000 rpm, (except for a snarl at startup). While cruising responsibly they are almost stock sounding. Above 3000 they scream a sweet throaty guttural wail. It is hard to cruise responsibly with so much aural joy on tap under your right toe.

Therein lies the embarrassment part. I'm not the kind who likes bringing attention to himself but I got lots of looks from lots of people, many of them neighbors. I don't think they understand! I highly recommend this mod.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:32 PM
911newb
Instructor

Looks like your rear left tire is off the ground in that pic.

I know I should be able to identify the corner. I only have about two thirds of the track memorized. Sweeping , uphill left hander. The only one that comes to mind is the one right before bridge but it doesn't look like the pic. I'll think on that a bit before I guess. Hopefully my instructor (Ken) has better things to do than read this thread.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Lapin
Tom, I had your identical car.
Though it had an '08 engine with the 'big bearing', I was always afraid of disaster.
The first mod I installed, was the deep sump kit, baffle and pan.

B&K - Short shift kit

Thereafter, well into White, it was suspension mods.

Mid Blue for R compound tires.

Seat time is the primary investment in performance.

Power is irrelevant...grip is essential.
A inexpensive solution is to remove the transmission, clutch flywheel, pop the IMS cap off and remove the bearing seal to allow oil to flow in.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

I don't think it's the wheel you see. It's only a blue sticker on the wind shield.

Coming out of bridge , T12.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Radio996
Instructor

Tom, I used to own a 996 C2.
For the white smoke at start: I solved it by making sure that the oil level was right. The issue comes with a slight overfilling. When testing the oil level, do it manually with the dipstick and aim for almost full, when the engine is HOT.

If you measure the oil level when engine is cold AND keep it at the mid level, you will introduce the next issue which is possible oil starvation in turn 8 and 10. Or any long right hand turn really.

Avoid this by getting the oil level right, and by using the x51 baffle. Even on road tires. My oil pressure gained 0.5 consistently after I've installed the baffles. That's significant improvement. And it is an inexpensive mod. A DIY too if you are so inclined.

I had the Fabspeed full kit from headers to Cats to exhausts. And it is true. Widest grin on my face every day. Never needed a radio for entertainment. No impact on track though.

The lower suspension did not add much on track, but it removed the 4X4 look. (Personal taste).

Brake pads are important in White/Blue run groups and above. If Pagid: Yellow in front; Black in the rear. (This will get the brake bias right on the 996).

My 2 cents, if I may: run it stock, with a bit more aggressive alignment, the brake pads, the oil pan baffle and check the oil level. Then enjoy learning how to get more out of this car than your run group buddies in "superior" cars, at any run group level you are in. You don't "need" anything else. In fact, the lesser, the more you will work on YOUR skills. Who cares if they are faster on the back straight, focus on catching up in the technical part. And take instructors - even after you've become one too.

Enjoy, in good health, with friends.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:34 AM
911newb
Instructor

Thanks all,

Alain, it seems like there is a strong consensus on the x51 baffle. I think that will be my first thing to take care of. I'll have to get some pricing info but it doesn't look like a spendy proposition, especially after doing the IMS SOLUTION with the direct oil feed.

Just got a text from my brother to say that he will be joining us for his first event at LCMT in his new(to him) 996 Turbo S in July, probably August too. Having him there will add another fun angle to what is already proving to be a most rewarding experience. Great people, great fun.

Tom
Old 07-06-2016, 12:32 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derek is selling a x51 baffle on the rennsport site for $100...might be a good winter DIY!
Old 07-08-2016, 08:29 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
Derek is selling a x51 baffle on the rennsport site for $100...might be a good winter DIY!
I'm attempting to scrounge funds for a set of Ohlins

Damn you!!
Old 07-08-2016, 09:15 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are in luck! I have some for sale
Old 07-09-2016, 10:51 AM
911newb
Instructor

Thanks for the tip about Derek's baffle. I looked at the pics and noticed what looks to be degrading rubber gaskets. I worry about floating bits suspended in the oil. I'll talk to him about it next week at the track.

I see he is on the roster but I don't see his student Phillipe. Odd because he was on the green wait list a couple of days ago and Bob had indicated that he was at the top of the list. Registering early is clearly a real thing at LCMT. Looks like there will be a lot of guys who don't get to go this time.

Tom
Old 07-09-2016, 12:03 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911newb
Thanks for the tip about Derek's baffle. I looked at the pics and noticed what looks to be degrading rubber gaskets. I worry about floating bits suspended in the oil. I'll talk to him about it next week at the track.

I see he is on the roster but I don't see his student Phillipe. Odd because he was on the green wait list a couple of days ago and Bob had indicated that he was at the top of the list. Registering early is clearly a real thing at LCMT. Looks like there will be a lot of guys who don't get to go this time.

Tom
I believe Philippe is registered, and confirmed. He's just hidden from the roster (an option on clubregistration).

I'll bring up the baffle for you to inspect. It appears as though it's installation damage, as the baffle was relatively new.

Quick Reply: Fister mod done locally