Notices

Advice on Boxster purchase decision ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:34 PM
serpags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Boxster purchase decision ...

I thought I would put it out here to and get a general opinion...

I am looking to intro my wife into the world of P . Since I sold my '16 981 for a '17 991.2, she now misses a convertible. She would like to get a "toy" of her own. ( That sounded wrong just as I typed it ). So here is where I am at .

2 Vehicules, both at 2006 Boxster Base . both with 40 000 KMS . and both same price exactly. Here is the dilemma.....

One is Canadian, very clean, Atlas Grey on Tan, AUTOMATIC No carproof.

The other is Manual, Black on Black, previous US, front end more chipped, not as clean as the other, AND 3000$ carproof.

Should I opt for one of these....which would you choose ??

My other option would be for a 2010, but at 15K$ more.... different topic

Thanks in advance for your input !

Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

The 987 is an excellent car. The 2006 still has the IMS concerns so you should possibly consider an LN upgrade if it has not already been addressed ( about $1500). Otherwise, if your wife is okay with the Tip, I'd go that way. These transmissions are often referred to as bulletproof, and you can be sure that there are no over-revs ( R2), as the tip won't allow the engine to pass redline. In any case, insist on an independant PPS (pre-purchase inspection) either at the dealer or a recommended indy. It will be the best $200 that you will spend!
I'm driving a 2001 Boxster S with a tiptronic and I really like it, even at the track!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:28 PM
serpags
Instructor

Thanks for your input Newart. Researching the IMS issue, it seems like MY06 and higher should be ok due to the larger shaft bolt ?! Would love to have have confirmation of such.

Also, any P I would get would definately get a PPS for sure.

Last edited by serpags; 05-08-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:28 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Anyway, I misspoke on the LN upgrade price, which applies to the 986. The 987 situation appears to be better and if you keep the oil clean and drive the car like it should be driven, you should be good. Any mechanical device can fail but most don't if properly maintained. Drive it and have fun!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by NewArt
Anyway, I misspoke on the LN upgrade price, which applies to the 986. The 987 situation appears to be better and if you keep the oil clean and drive the car like it should be driven, you should be good. Any mechanical device can fail but most don't if properly maintained. Drive it and have fun!
The newer cars have a much larger bearing and to replace that bearing requires the splitting of the engine case. You can try to shove an inspection camera down in the bell housing to see if it's a 13mm or 22mm bolt head on the IMS. 13mm is external bearing, 22mm is internal. Rev 1, 2 and 3 are really nothing to worry about as they are electronic.. The 4,5 6 on the other hand. I always see cars with 1,2 and 3s..

For extra insurance on the tiptronic have the fluid/filter changed. If you do track it an extra trans cooler wouldn't hurt...

3000$ Carproof? Yea that can be a bumper cover and one of the insta break because I hit a small curb radiator..
Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 AM
serpags
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paseb
I have a black/tan boxster with 119000km available if interrested
Thanks but looking for low millage car
Old 05-13-2016, 09:16 AM
serpags
Instructor

Purchase done, and neither of the two was the one

Went with a 2010 987.2, 36 000 Kms , Manual Transmission. The Mrs. will be happy. Next step....getting her into DE days .

Thanks for responses
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Advice on Boxster purchase decision ...