Notices

Is your car spying on you in Namerow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is your car spying on you in Namerow?

Hi fellow Rennsporters

Rarely do I get to enjoy my 2 passions at once, privacy and automobiles. If you are into IT and automobiles or just care about your privacy this is for you. The following report on vehicle telematics and infotainment should start an interesting debate. What would you say to the suggestion that; “in the next few years the ROI on data generated by your vehicle may come close to the amount manufacturers make in vehicle sales.”

Just saying

https://fipa.bc.ca/connected-car/
Old 05-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd say time to ditch the new car at the track altogether and go vintage, pre expanded OBDII...

Old 05-27-2015, 11:51 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

For DEs,
Would still like to opt out of the selling and use of where, when, how and with whom I use my Daily driver.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Any case law, in canada as to who owns the information? Is it the car owner or the mfg?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Interesting question;

Not aware of any specific case law but the authors present some important points;
Personal Information is subject to Data Protection law in Canada establishes a number of obligations on organizations that wish to collect, use or disclose personal data of individual consumers.
Vehicle generated data, if it can be linked to your VIN is considered personal information. Generally speaking you are the owner of your personal information; however you may not have custody and control of it. Think of your personal financial information. You have a right of access and correction, but if you consented to it being collected, used and disclosed ownership may not be as important as we think. BTW, try refusing to sign one clause in the purchase agreement if you are not happy with the definition of how the OEM, its third parties and dealers will use the personal information degenerated by your soon to be new shiny vehicle;-))
Now the kicker, this is an excerpt on the authors’ conclusions as to how well OEMs respect Canadian data protection laws;

<Our review of several Connected Car privacy policies and terms of service indicates that the industry is violating Canadian data protection laws. In addition to lack of consent and forced agreement to unnecessary and arguably inappropriate uses such as marketing, Connected Car service providers are failing to meet the standards of Canadian law in respect of openness, accountability, individual access and limiting collection, retention, use and disclosure of customer data.>

Time for some pressure on legislators to follow up on the recommendations in this report.

Quick Reply: Is your car spying on you in Namerow?