Notices

Best paint/body shop in the area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:19 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best paint/body shop in the area?

I am currently in the process of pulling apart my whole 964, right down to the tub and then plan to get it repainted.

Anyone know any good shops in the area (US included)? Also what do you guys think is a fair price for the whole tub inside and out, including bumpers, mirrors, etc?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rennspa...
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennspor...o-rennspa.html
Old 01-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

I think it somewhat depends on what type of job you are looking for. If it's a track car, you may be very happy with a certain quality finish at a certain price point. On the other end of the spectrum, there is 'show quality' paint that will be even better in appearance than original (and will cost a fortune in man hours).

I had some parts done at Auto Bugatti - they did a good job of on the fiberglass work, which takes a fair bit of labor to get perfect. The color match was also excellent. I would check them out, speak to the owner Joe Visconti.

Also speak to the folks at Rennspa as suggested above, tell them what you are looking for.

Finally - I was always curious about some of the hot rod shops that do older American cars. Some of the custom paint schemes that they do are spectacular. There is no magic to paint - it's all in the preparation and that costs money.

Good luck - nice color choice BTW.

Cheers

Matt
Old 01-18-2015, 02:43 PM
BeReal
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Looking to do the same with my 964. Already had a chat with Zaven from Rennspa and were suppose to meet so he can look at the car and get me a quote...

You taking everything off the car? Bolts, wiring, etc...? Were you looking at getting the bare tub dipped as well? Would love to hear about the project as im local as well...been dreaming about peppermint green too....haha
Old 01-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

AutoLux, Auto Bugatti aren't cheap but the work is top notch.

Speak to the owner/manager and see how interested they are in taking on the job. Look at what other cars/projects they have going on in the shop... If you see a bunch of of rentals being slapped together quickly maybe it's not the place for you. Prep is key but so is reassembly, lining up doors, gaps and all that fun stuff based on my experience with one of my cars. Nothing sucks more than picking up the car from the body shop, opening the door and it touches the front fender.. Ask for referrals from the shop and what warranty they offer..

I was shopping around last year for a body shop to get a couple things fixed on my BMW and actually ended up giving the work to the dealership. They were priced about mid pack but I ended up going ahead as they know the car. I was very happy with the result even though it took a few extra days.

I'd go see Greg at Automotion on de Maisonneuve in NDG
Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the feedback.

Matt, it will be a daily driver and mild track car. I don't know that much about paint, but I like the Porsche standard. You know sometimes when you see a show car and it looks like the paint was baked on....I don't want that look.

BeReal, I sent you a pm.

Gregster, When I had a BMW, I use to work in Westmount Square where the parking spaces are small and everyone drives a huge Mercedes...and they are all too old to be driving. So, I had tons of body work done on my BMW at BMW and I was always amazed at the end product.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:08 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autolux only does M. Benz. Went there once to have an estimation done on my car and they sent me to Carrosserie Euro on Port-Royal Ouest. They do exotic cars and are doing jobs for Ferrari Quebec.
Didn't have my job done yet, so don't have much to say.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do engine bay + trunk, I would expect 8K$ +++. If the rest of the body is straight, that is.

I've used Rennspa with great satisfaction, the paint job was very good.

I've had a big crash last season and I went to a very specialized Frame Master to cut the tub and weld back a front end. They did the job as I wanted and they were great to deal with, but it's quite a different job.

c.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ibeaudoin
Autolux only does M. Benz.
Good point - I think they MAY do something else if you in$i$t, but yeah, they are MB authorized exclusively. Still worth an ask, since I heard they really are the best.

Originally Posted by Gregster
Speak to the owner/manager and see how interested they are in taking on the job. Look at what other cars/projects they have going on in the shop...
This is some of the best advice - if they are not really interested in your particular project, then you're not going to enjoy dealing with them if any issues need to get ironed out...

Good luck!

M
Old 01-21-2015, 04:40 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Good point - I think they MAY do something else if you in$i$t, but yeah, they are MB authorized exclusively. Still worth an ask, since I heard they really are the best.

M
The setup they have for welding is

and they will fix a 959
Old 01-22-2015, 01:01 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

BeReal and I are starting a race team called "Doublemint"! Sorry guys but by definition we are not looking for any more team members! lol

We will take 2 of everything...sands blasting...RS seam welds, custom roll bars. paint jobs, blond Norwegian chicks, free drinks....did I miss anything
Old 01-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Spoke with Dan not too long ago....should have some info mid week once they get back from NCRS in Florida.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:46 PM
BeReal
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Blond Norwegian chicks? Im there...haha

Dwayne, keep me posted about that. BTW just picked up the new ride this friday. Lets opticoat her soon! Text me...

Quick Reply: Best paint/body shop in the area?