Notices

The days of Grime and Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:55 AM
pkjense
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The days of Grime and Hoses

I spend a lot of time working on old Porsches; it is a labour of love, but it is not always easy. They are complex machines and deserve respect. I have learned a lot over the years, and lately I have come to realize it is not just "car stuff" I have learned.

This post was inspired by a conversation I had with a mechanic for whom I have infinite respect. While he imparted his wisdom to me, I shared the tale of an error I had made, and how I resolved it. He did not berate me for the error, but rather applauded my solution. It made me realize that I have picked up a thing or two along the way. The lessons from the garage apply equally to many other aspects of life, so I thought I'd take a moment to share what I have learned from my "days of grime and hoses".

1. Organise yourself. Yes, it is important to organise your tools, parts and procedures, but if your thoughts aren't in order mistakes will be made.
2. Establish a clear goal. Look to what you want to achieve. Installing new shock absorbers is not a goal; making the car handle better is.
3. Enjoy the ride. There is a fine line between frustration and a challenge. Recognise the difference; rising to a challenge moves frustration out of your way.
4. Sleep on it. Today's mountain is tomorrow's valley. A new day brings new solutions to yesterday's problems.
5. You are not alone. Seek the wisdom of those who have gone before you. Someone, somewhere, may have already solved this problem.
6. Share what you have learned. Your blood, sweat and tears will spare that of those who follow.
7. Mistakes happen. Profit from them. Screwing something up is bad. Learning how to rectify it is a life skill.
8. Use an affirmative approach. Often focusing on what does work is more productive than focusing on what doesn't.
9. Know your limits. When it is time to hand off a task to an expert, do it. The days of the renaissance man are dead. No one can be an expert in all the modern disciplines.
10. Celebrate your successes. You have solved a problem, learned new skills and expanded your repertoire. Revel in it!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pkjense
I spend a lot of time working on old Porsches; it is a labour of love, but it is not always easy. They are complex machines and deserve respect. I have learned a lot over the years, and lately I have come to realize it is not just "car stuff" I have learned.

This post was inspired by a conversation I had with a mechanic for whom I have infinite respect. While he imparted his wisdom to me, I shared the tale of an error I had made, and how I resolved it. He did not berate me for the error, but rather applauded my solution. It made me realize that I have picked up a thing or two along the way. The lessons from the garage apply equally to many other aspects of life, so I thought I'd take a moment to share what I have learned from my "days of grime and hoses".

1. Organise yourself. Yes, it is important to organise your tools, parts and procedures, but if your thoughts aren't in order mistakes will be made.
2. Establish a clear goal. Look to what you want to achieve. Installing new shock absorbers is not a goal; making the car handle better is.
3. Enjoy the ride. There is a fine line between frustration and a challenge. Recognise the difference; rising to a challenge moves frustration out of your way.
4. Sleep on it. Today's mountain is tomorrow's valley. A new day brings new solutions to yesterday's problems.
5. You are not alone. Seek the wisdom of those who have gone before you. Someone, somewhere, may have already solved this problem.
6. Share what you have learned. Your blood, sweat and tears will spare that of those who follow.
7. Mistakes happen. Profit from them. Screwing something up is bad. Learning how to rectify it is a life skill.
8. Use an affirmative approach. Often focusing on what does work is more productive than focusing on what doesn't.
9. Know your limits. When it is time to hand off a task to an expert, do it. The days of the renaissance man are dead. No one can be an expert in all the modern disciplines.
10. Celebrate your successes. You have solved a problem, learned new skills and expanded your repertoire. Revel in it!

paroles de sage, how you say that in english?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:37 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Words of wisdom

Cheers
Phil
Old 12-12-2014, 07:13 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077