Notices

Drive Clean without a cat...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 PM
9orsche
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Clean without a cat...

First let me explain -- I am not suggesting that anyone should remove their catalytic converter but I am considering purchasing a 944 Turbo without a cat and I am wondering if anyone in Ontario (Ottawa area) has any experience passing a Drive Clean Emission test without a catalytic converter? Is this possible? What options do I have? Thanks.

Last edited by 9orsche; 09-15-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an expert at all since we do not have these emission test in Quebec, but I highly doubt it would be possible to pass without a cat, I can even spot a car when it doesn't have a cat just by the smell. I ran many years without one and my car stunk bad. I'm sure the the CO2 would be much too high.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

You can recognize a catless 944 by the surrounding birds falling from the sky... not very stealthy!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 PM
pkjense
Racer

depending on your tune your car can pass without a cat. It won't pass a visual inspection though. That being said, in Ottawa the St Laurent & ogilvie Rd oil change shop does emissions tests but they don't have a pit, so can't do the visual if your car is low. These type of guys are usually pretty excited about a Porsche, but apparently "all" the Ferrari guys, tuners etc go here. My car had failed twice at another place with horrible numbers, even though I had set-up a very lean secondary tune I could switch to, which made no sense. At this place it passed clean, as it should when you are burning at about 14.7-15.0 AFR. The only thing i did differently was run $10 worth of ethanol through it.
I also did end up buying a cat as well, so I installed it and noticed no street performance difference. I picked up a 3" hi-flow cat (moroso?) at of all places Canadian Tire, for under $100. I simply had to pull the tailpipe, measure and cut it and clamp on the cat. the cut piece can be used to make a CAT bypass if you want.
Hope that helps,
Paul
Old 09-16-2014, 01:16 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried for the $30 worth. Had a Fabspeed cat bypass on a 964 but tested at 1000 at idle. Passed at 3000 rpm. Removed and put the cat on and passed at 100 idle. Retest is only $20. Pass document is good for a year.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:35 PM
9orsche
Track Day

Perhaps trying first before putting the cat on and then if it fails then put on a high flow cat. Or just doing the right thing and go straight for the cat is the best idea....

Quick Reply: Drive Clean without a cat...