US Citizen buying an Ebay car from Montreal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:42 PM
SonnyT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question US Citizen buying an Ebay car from Montreal

Hey guys,
I just bought a car on Ebay (from an individual, not a dealer) and I'm trying to figure out logistics for getting the car from Montreal, Canada to Dallas, Texas, US. Perhaps you guys can offer some insights or answers to these questions:

1. Seller says I have to pay Quebec Sales tax (9.975%) http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicl...tax/index..php
I'll have to pay tax again when I register in Texas DMV. Any way to avoid this double tax?

2. Transport - I'm planning on using these guys
http://uscanadaautotransport.com/
I got a quote of $1,400 + $100 brokerage + 4% duty (all USD).

I've also listed it on UShip, no bidders yet.
Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

3. Title procedures - I'm going to do Paypal over ebay. The US Customs & Border website says that the title needs to be with the car. Seller wants to send me the title (by fedex), have me register with TX DMV, and send him proof so that he can "unregister" the car? Sounds wacky to me, US DMV has a form that frees the seller from all obligations, is there not something similar in Canada? Any alternate suggestions? I read online that it's a little easier to drive it across in person, but that's not gonna work out for me.

BTW, it's not a Porsche, it's a XJ12 with legendary unreliability to offset the clockwork running of my 993

Sonny

BTW, if there's someone in Montreal that can look at the Jag for me before I send the cash, I'd much appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
oups59
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Sonny,

Concerning the sale tax, here's the info from the Quebec DMV (SAAQ)

Q1: I have sold my vehicle in Québec to a non-resident of Québec. What do I have to do?
A: You have to go to an SAAQ service outlet with the person acquiring your vehicle to transfer the vehicle in the acquirer’s name. This person will not have to pay the registration fees, but will be required to pay administration fees as well as the Québec Sales Tax (QST). He or she may obtain a temporary 4-day registration certificate to get home. The acquirer will receive an Application for a Rebate (or Non-Payment) of the Québec Sales Tax (QST) on a Road VehicleThis link will open a new window. form issued by Revenu Québec. You will be reimbursed for the balance of your registration fees, if applicable.

Just give them a call (http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.php)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:42 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the jag? I would look at it for you if it's not far. Work is slow this week. PM me if you want.

Mark
Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Vitulla
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick search, might be mistaken but it seems to be near Sherbrooke and the 25 (Montreal-est)
Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hassan, at EUROPEAN MOTORWERK is an excellent mechanic, with a fully equipped shop. He restores Jags to perfection, most recently, my pal's 69' E type.

514-737-3110
3900C JEAN TALON O.
MONTREAL, QC
H3R 2G8

Quick Reply: US Citizen buying an Ebay car from Montreal