Notices

Can you guys help me out here.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 07:19 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I called Reading and pleaded and pleaded and pleaded with them.

They rang me. Said a new gearbox is about £7000 + VAT + fitting + VAT!!!
But they have agreed to fit it under their good-will scheme at £3300 all includive and fitted including warranty.

So. Not all good news but you have to admire them. If it was a Ferrari it would be twice as much and they wouldn't come to the party at all.

Xmas will be a little tuff this year but my porker will be back to normal again. Best Xmas pressie of all
Old 11-20-2003, 11:22 AM
K8 MAL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scouser

I thought that your car was an import and so Porsche UK were not willing to help out..is this not the case?

My earlier suggestion was for you to speak to the importer of the car in the country it was originally supplied to before it was imported to UK. So, for example, if someone bought the car in Holland and then personally imported it to UK then the importers in Holland would have profited from your car and hence could feel some moral obligation to sort out the issue.

I would not accept having to pay for a new gearcbox for your car. Its ridiculous that it has become faulty so soon. If the car is on finance then your other option is to get the finance company to sort out the issue uunder the sale of goods and consumer credit legislation.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:27 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

K8 Mal, you are right. It is a C16. It was ordered and collected directly from stuttgart. Must have been driven here.

What a fantastic idea. Not being well up on legal issues I never thought of that. I will be on to the finance company tommorow. Thanks heaps for this pointer.

Today was a nightmare. I took my car to Tech9 to have some tailpipes fitted (bought them on ebay). They hoisted the car up and the first thing
the tech said was "hey I see your RMS is leaking". I near hit the roof.
My RMS was replaced about 4 weeks ago at Mann Island. That and the looming gearbox issue. I am so tired of this palava.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Forgot: yes PUK said they could not help. But I kept ringing them and pleading if they could see it in their kindness to help. Finally I hit some luck.
It turns out that the Gorgeous looking girl that I dealt with in Mann Island
has moved to Reading and now works for the customer relations group. I
am certain she has helped change their mind. As I said, £3,300 is better than approx £10,000. I am unhappy but there is some respite. After all they don't have to help me at all.
But your right this car is a baby. It shouldn't have gearbox problems
let alone engine (RMS) problems. Oh I could cry.....
Old 11-25-2003, 07:37 PM
Mark sP
Instructor

Call up PUK press office and explain that you are the husband or wife of a major TV Celebrity.

Tell them of your problems and disgust and threaten them that if they don't cooperate, your agent will arrange for a press meeting at your house to witness you set fire to the car and watch it burn!

This may sound crazy, but it worked for my wife when her 280sl went pear-shapped. Merc fixed it and even lent her a car!

Strange but true. Mind you, she is one in a million! (edited to say "not a woman to be crossed) LOL
Old 11-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Angry

Hi Scouser,

K8 is right. You should sue the bast*$% under the sale of goods act as you have been given something that is not fit for the purpose that it was intended for. They should either replace it or fix it.

Why don't you get Jeremy Clarkson on the case. He's not a big fan of Porsches so would love to hassle them over this.

I can't believe that Porsche do not recognise the reputation impact this sort of issue has. Mind you though, they always drag their feet over rust/water corrosion on trim issues where you would get an automatic fix in any other civilised country.

Good luck.

Cheers,

David
Old 11-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

All, contacted my lawyer. He said no legs to stand on here. The cars out of warranty and anything they offer in help now is gratis.

However Jeremy Clarkson is an idea. Not sure I want to go seting fire to it though unless I can get the insurance f course

Dave, you better believe it. Porsche UK simply do not recognise the reputation or impact they are having with customers. I just read on the 996 board that a guy has his 03 996 in for its RMS at 3000 miles. So I guess anyone who buys a new 996 is just a sucker or a zillionair. I am (or was) a sucker, but once bitten, twice shy. I will get this car fixed up with yet another RMS and a gearbox and it should all be shipshape for the next owner......cos I am getting shut asap and moving out of the Pcar suckership game.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:09 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hi Scouser,

Don't do that! Sell your car and buy a 993!

Cheers,

David
Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

You know, you just may have a point there Dave. I really do luv the 993.
If I went for one though I would want a late model, low mileage, pristine condition jobbie. They don't come that easy.

So what's the hickups I shuld know about in the 993 marque?
Do they suffer RMS, Gearbox, valve seal leaks, etc?
Old 12-01-2003, 04:12 PM
ian c - u.k

the only thing they suffer is being not quite as cool as a 964 !!!

Old 12-01-2003, 04:14 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...btw, what's an RMS?
Old 12-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Ready Made Scrap

No really.........Rear Main Seal (Cranckshaft seal).
It's the seal at the end of the cranckshaft behind the flywheel/clutch in
the bell housing. If it blows out under presure.....goodbye engine!
If it leaks.....goodbye clutch.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:17 PM
UKKid35
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm sure I remember Chris Turner (an independent in N London) saying that oil seal leaks causing rebuilds every 40k miles were quite common, I don't remember precisely which model he was refering to though.

Good luck with yours
Old 12-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Hey Scouser,
Sad to hear that the problems you had have worn you down so much that you are opting out. From what I gather, all models in the range suffer from something or other. I guess thats why we all come to Rennlist. I think the 993/964 route would be a better idea. At least the repair shops have a pretty good handle on how to fix the recurring problems now.
I dont think you should leave the mark because of a 996 though. Us true purists believe that the range stops at the 993 anyway, with a few notable exceptions of course.
I'm in Liverpool often, let me know if you want me to take you for a spin in my 964, you'll see what I mean.
Cheers
Old 12-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hi Scouser,

Just get an earlier car that has been loved and fully sorted. You could get all sorts of interesting things if swapped your car for a 993, 964, 3.2. What about a late model 964 Turbo. They are very mean!

Cheers,

David

Quick Reply: Can you guys help me out here.....