Notices

Black Tape on front headlights; what for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black Tape on front headlights; what for?

I watch a lot of BBC and Velocity with English Car Shows. The one thing I don't get but I can give it a guess is the Black Tape on the front of the Headlights... What is that there for? Is it to pass MOT the front headlights are too bright?

They don't have such a rule in the USA, and truthfully I wish we did when we have these Red Necks lifting their trucks - at night if flashes straight into the rear of cabin of the car in front of the lifted truck. Dumb Assessed Red Necks, we truly need something that is similar but there is no true equivalent in the States to the MOT test and validation for a period of time. Plenty of hugely dangerous cars driving.on the streets. I just figure that the states D.O.T.'s want the yearly tax instead than human safety.

Cheers mate. Are ya drinking?
Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 AM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's old skool! Used to have to put it over your lights when racing to stop glass getting on the track due to contact. 50s to late 70s I think.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:53 AM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you may mean a small triangle (rather than a tape cross) - that's to stop blinding people on the continent who drive on the wrong side of the road lol

Quick Reply: Black Tape on front headlights; what for?