Notices

Extended warranty

Old 11-15-2007, 02:21 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended warranty

My official warranty is going to lapse in a few months. Yesterday, out of the blue, I got a call from an insurance company associated with the AA. (They'd got hold of me through my membership). They offered what sounds like a complete, extended parts/labour warranty. Basically, if anything breaks or malfunctions, I take my car to the official dealer for repair and they pay (less a small excess). Sounded good so I explored a bit more.

What was originally offered (for like, £12/month) restricted any repair to £3K maximum. When I told them that was useless, they offered me the up-rated policy which cost £33/month and the only limit on repair was the value of the car. I said if the engine blows and it's £15K.....? They said that's OK.

This works out at £400/year or less than half the Porsche extended deal (£895). They are sending me the papers to look through but basically sounded pretty kosher.

Have any of you UK owners come across this deal? Does it work? Any comments or advice will be hugely appreciated.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure there aren't any limits on the hourly rate that's covered.

Many of these warranties also only apply if something "breaks". So if a gearbox bearing gets noisy they won't cover it as nothings broken yet even though you know full well it's going to let go at some point.

Everything I've read suggests the Porsche warranty is actually a good value so somthing half the price makes me suspect. But maybe I've just become cynical.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Phelix; I believe I still have a couple of months before my warranty expires so I'll spend the time investigating the minutiae of the AA deal and perhaps up-date this thread when I know more.

Generally, I'd ignore offers like this - but as it has come directly from the AA (albeit, it's underwritten by a different company - Heath Lambert) I reckoned it would be worth listening to.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
... but as it has come directly from the AA (albeit, it's underwritten by a different company - Heath Lambert) I reckoned it would be worth listening to.
The AA is very commercially driven these days and the interests of the motorist comes a clear second to those of the shareholders.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended warranty