Notices

Just found you all - perhaps you can help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:03 AM
joc4s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Just found you all - perhaps you can help!

Hi everyone

I've only just found you all as I've always visited the US site over the past 18 months and wondered where all the Brits were, especially Caveman, who assisted in my request to hear some RSR's prior to purchase.

I recently posted on the US site, with little response, regarding peoples experience with the 10 yr Porsche corrosion warranty, as I have a little problem with corrosion at the moment.

I've found a problem with the actual body corroding and creeping out from underneath the black metal trim on the rear side windows ( only just detectable at the moment but will only get worse if left unattended).

I have just put in a claim for this to be rectified under Porsche's 10 yr corrosion warranty, as my 1997 993 has always been purchased and serviced within the same OPC (Lancaster) dealership - including the annual bodywork inspection and had never had accident/paint work in the past.

Lancaster Cambridge have experienced problems with corrosion coming from the bottom of the front and rear screens but say they have never seen it coming from the bottom of the side windows before. Although Lancaster say there shouldn't be a problem with my claim, they have taken photos of the small area concerned and sent them off to Porsche UK for their agreement. Why do I get an uneasy feeling someone is going to back track and refer to 'the small print' somewhere?

Has anyone else had experience of the corrosion warranty and in particular with corrosion coming from the same area?

Anyway its great to have found you all.

Jo
Old 08-11-2004, 05:52 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

As long as you have a full bodywork inspection, I would have thought you should be fine.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you haven't then you are screwed as they don't want to know. I've seen it back and front on cars but never on the sides. Has the car ever had a break-in where they jemmied the window? Just a thought as then it might have had a minor, but badly-done, repair?

Good luck with the repair/claim. Given your location you might want to get Steve Clarke of Clarke and Carter to do the repair and paint. He is excellent and loves his Porsches. They are near Braintree.

Cheers,

David
Old 08-24-2004, 03:02 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jo,

Is the bubbling on the black trim or on the body paintwork underneath? I have heard tales of the black trim on the rear windows bubbling.

Opinions are mixed over success or failure over this type of issue - did you make the claim through a Porsche Centre or a Porsche body repair shop? The body shops are notorioously hard nosed over claims and will tell people that the 10 yr warrantee is split into two; three years for everything and the remaining seven for 'through from the inside only' so paint bubbles don't count.

Hope you get a result - please post and let readers know.

PJC
Old 08-25-2004, 05:43 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had corrosion on the "bottom" window trims which was easily rectified by Clarke and Carter.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:49 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jo, so did you get anywhere?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:43 PM
joc4s
Advanced

Well nothing much to add really. I keep chasing OPC Cambridge (Lancaster) and they keep saying there shouldn't be a problem, but they are still waiting for the go-ahead from Porsche UK. Am I being impatient - after all its only been nearly three months since I first highlighted the problem to Lancaster. The latest explanation is "the person dealing with it,, is away on holiday".. Perhaps 'the person' is too busy dealing with 996 warranty problems. Still no news is good news.

Just to make it clear, the corrosion is coming from underneath the black trim It is only just detectable in the form of the paint flaking right against the trim (thought it was polish residue for a start) - the zinc coating is certainly doing its job in protecting the base metal. The car still won first prize in the Cambrideshire/Bedfordshire regional concours a month ago but this spoils an otherwise as near perfect car that I am ever likely to find, so I want it put right.

I would think the paint work was nicked when the factory originally fitted the window and trim back in 1997. No one seems to have experienced a similar problem.

I will post the eventual outcome of whether the 10 yr guarantee is worth the German paper its written on.

Jo
Old 09-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Forgive my ignorance but I thought galvanised bodies could never rust ??? (unless the galvanising were damaged). Obviously an incorrect assumption on my part.

Please keep us updated with progress,

best of luck.

Adrian
Old 09-22-2004, 05:35 AM
joc4s
Advanced

(Adrian: Galvanising helps to stop rust from spreading. If the galvanised surface is broken due to a deep scratch rust can start but will be held back from spreading further. Howver the paint will start lifting at the edge of the damage so exposing the galvanised surface. On my car, with the side window in place, there is the slightest evidence of the galvanised surface right at the edge of the window trim. The question is what, under the window trim, has caused this to happen.)

After nearly four months since reporting the problem I just heard that the man from Porsche UK rejected my claim on the basis that "Porsche never experienced a problem in that part of the body before".

Now remember, this is a very low mileage car purchased and serviced by the same OPC and with an annual corrosion inspection stamp in its service book. After creating and threatening to publish the outcome here and elsewhere - and I might add with continued support for my claim from the OPC bodyshop, Porsche UK have now agreed to have the window removed to investigate the cause of the problem. If the problem is caused by an external fault (how can this possibly be as the defect has spread from under the trim and the window glass has never been replaced) then the damage will not be covered under the terms of their warranty. If caused by corrosion from a weld or under surface defect then they will authorise the repair. My personal opinion is that the problem will be found to either come from a weld during manufacture (the cause of the front and rear screen surround corrosion problem) or due to scratch damage during assembly of the side window at the factory.

All will be revealed when the side window is removed. It's nothing major to worry about but needs correcting and, to me and my OPC, it looks as though it is Porsche's manufacturing error and therefore I consider it should be attended to under warranty.

I will post the outcome after the car goes in for examination mid October.

Jo
Old 09-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

They are talking complete bu$%$%^.
It is a known and common problem and there is even a technical bulletin on the repair of this.

Other OPCs have fixed this issue under bodywork warranty, as long as there the warranty book is complete.

Dont take no for an answer.

Why the heck does Porsche GB Customer Service even exist. They are of no use to the customer!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:43 AM
joc4s
Advanced

Bins: Great to hear from you. Are you referring specifically to corrosion of the body coming from UNDER the side window trim i.e. paint lifting revealing the galvanising, the same as I am experiencing. If so I would be grateful fif you could supply any more specific details such as the bulletin number/date or postings made by others.

Jo
Old 09-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup
You can use the search button for the words rust and bulletin and you should get a number of threads
e.g.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=rust+bulletin
Old 09-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Thanks for the info - good luck with your claim
Old 09-22-2004, 06:57 PM
joc4s
Advanced

I need to get hold of a copy of the Technical Bulletin Bins is referring to - can anyone email me a copy please?

Jo
Old 09-23-2004, 04:10 AM
joc4s
Advanced

Sorry everyone. My email on Rennlist was not enabled. Just in case it still isn't the address is jobrown@lyndalepark.freeserve.co.uk

CAN SOMEONE SEND ME A COPY PLEASE?

Jo

Quick Reply: Just found you all - perhaps you can help!