Notices

Can someone teach me how to do an oil change on my 2015 GTS

Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Can someone teach me how to do an oil change on my 2015 GTS

I would like to know if any fellow south florida member could teach me to do the oil change. As some of you know I had a bad experience with one of the local dealers which I have to use for regular maintenance. On the other hand I am planning on doing oil changes every 5000 miles and take the car to the dealer for the schedule maintenance. This is not about saving money but doing the best job possible since I am keeping the car forever.
I do have a garage and ramps to bring the rear of the car up. I just don't feel comfortable taking the fan cover apart.

I have done oil changes on my previous BMW cars but that was straight forward.

If someone would like to share their knowledge and know how I will provide great German beer. Not the one you buy at Publix.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:45 AM
trucheli
Pro

I think I am about to break the record of most views and no replies.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Of all Porsche mines the easiest to change....yet I still go to K and M in Boca. Why? Cause its a pain in the *** and hes got a place to dump the oil.

Broke the reply cherry for you.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:13 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd be more than happy to teach how to do an oil change. I own a shop in Davie (MCK Engineering) and only use Porsche OEM oil filter and Mobil1 full synthetic oil. We have them done in less than an hour (closer to 1/2 hour).

As Pat mention, if you're not set up for oil disposal it's a PITA.

Give me a call whenever you'd like, you are going to need a Porsche tool in order to loosen the oil filter cap.
I look forward to hearing from you.

CheeRS,

MJ
MJ@mckengineering.us
Old 02-27-2016, 04:40 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I'd be more than happy to teach how to do an oil change. I own a shop in Davie (MCK Engineering) and only use Porsche OEM oil filter and Mobil1 full synthetic oil. We have them done in less than an hour (closer to 1/2 hour).

As Pat mention, if you're not set up for oil disposal it's a PITA.

Give me a call whenever you'd like, you are going to need a Porsche tool in order to loosen the oil filter cap.
I look forward to hearing from you.

CheeRS,

MJ
MJ@mckengineering.us
Thank you for the offer but I am looking to do my own oil change at my house, I have all the necessary tools to do it. I don't have an issue with oil disposal. To me it only takes some 1 Gallon Jars and a trip to my closest auto part store.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:33 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

^ This is why I suggested you call me and I can explain it to you over the phone, otherwise next time, search is your friend.

Nevertheless here you go, but remember search is your friend.

Ok get underneath the car, at the bottom of the case is the drain plug (8mm Allen). Place your oil dispenser/pan in order to catch the old oil. While that drains, lift the "deck-lid" First you pull out the plastic stiffener from the air intake (this makes it easier to remove the plastic cover as the intake bellows is more flexible). Then you pop off the plastic engine cover. There are four fitting holding the top and four holding the bottom. These are plastic male fitting that pop into rubber grommets. I just pulled up on the cover at the top and started from right to left pulling them free one at a time. Then pull off the bottom four and the cover is free. Then move it out of the way. Then pull the two fans off. There is one pop off fitting at the bottom (do that one first) and then it has two fittings at the top that pull out laterally. Finally, you pull off the air intake that has just two pop off fittings. Everything just pops off no tools needed.

Now the filter is visible and there is enough room to unscrew it (tool needed in order not to strip the cover) pull off the top and remove the filter. Screw on the drain plug and fill it with 0W-40 Mobil1 Full Synthetic. When replacing the oil filter make sure you change the o-rings as well.

Cost of materials: about $100
Cost of your time: $???
Hassle of having to go and dispose of oil: $???

What we charge for an oil change including materials: $125

CheeRS,

MJ
Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
^ This is why I suggested you call me and I can explain it to you over the phone, otherwise next time, search is your friend.

Nevertheless here you go, but remember search is your friend.

Ok get underneath the car, at the bottom of the case is the drain plug (8mm Allen). Place your oil dispenser/pan in order to catch the old oil. While that drains, lift the "deck-lid" First you pull out the plastic stiffener from the air intake (this makes it easier to remove the plastic cover as the intake bellows is more flexible). Then you pop off the plastic engine cover. There are four fitting holding the top and four holding the bottom. These are plastic male fitting that pop into rubber grommets. I just pulled up on the cover at the top and started from right to left pulling them free one at a time. Then pull off the bottom four and the cover is free. Then move it out of the way. Then pull the two fans off. There is one pop off fitting at the bottom (do that one first) and then it has two fittings at the top that pull out laterally. Finally, you pull off the air intake that has just two pop off fittings. Everything just pops off no tools needed.

Now the filter is visible and there is enough room to unscrew it (tool needed in order not to strip the cover) pull off the top and remove the filter. Screw on the drain plug and fill it with 0W-40 Mobil1 Full Synthetic. When replacing the oil filter make sure you change the o-rings as well.

Cost of materials: about $100
Cost of your time: $???
Hassle of having to go and dispose of oil: $???

What we charge for an oil change including materials: $125

CheeRS,

MJ
Thank you for your detailed explanation of removing the fan cover. I have searched but the ones I found are not detailed explanations. That's why I rather have someone to show me in person how is properly done without messing anything up like grommets and fittings. My first oil change at the dealer they left the fan cover loose and the drain plug was not torque to spec to later find a pool of oil on my garage floor.

I can get an oil change done at the dealer for $200 minus a $50 Spring Gift Certificate, but I rather do it myself. I have the time and I enjoy working on my cars. I wonder how can you be in business doing an oil change for a $25 profit.
Too bad you are in Davie since I live in Miami. Again, thanks for your time to respond.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:42 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by trucheli
Thank you for your detailed explanation of removing the fan cover. I have searched but the ones I found are not detailed explanations. That's why I rather have someone to show me in person how is properly done without messing anything up like grommets and fittings. My first oil change at the dealer they left the fan cover loose and the drain plug was not torque to spec to later find a pool of oil on my garage floor.

I can get an oil change done at the dealer for $200 minus a $50 Spring Gift Certificate, but I rather do it myself. I have the time and I enjoy working on my cars. I wonder how can you be in business doing an oil change for a $25 profit.
Too bad you are in Davie since I live in Miami. Again, thanks for your time to respond.
Our core business is not oil changes and other minor services. We provide these type services as an added benefit to our clients. We are a race/track preparation and core performance company focused on improving every aspect of your car's performance. We work with some of the biggest names in the motorsports world, including but not exclusively Porsche Motorsports, Manthey, Öhlins, Brembo, M&M, AWE, IPD, TiAL, COBB, GT Gears, and others.

If there's anything we can help with, call or email me and we'll do what we can.

CheeRS,

MJ
MJ@mckengineering.us
Old 03-04-2016, 10:01 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

google is a good friend:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-disc...ange-pics.html
Old 05-13-2016, 12:27 AM
MB 911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

And here is the Actual information direct from the horses mouth. This is for educational purposes only.. so read and learn how....
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WM 170117 Chg oil.pdf (211.2 KB, 696 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:18 AM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB 911
And here is the Actual information direct from the horses mouth. This is for educational purposes only.. so read and learn how....
do you have access to more info? ;-)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:59 AM
MB 911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes I have the complete WSM to cover all services, R&R, plus electrical wiring diagrams, PET, TSBs....

I also have for your 981 Spyder

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can someone teach me how to do an oil change on my 2015 GTS