Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 02:08 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up member number & rant

Great new format John -- not sure which icon to use as several thoughts.

I have a question about my Rennlist member numbers of which I have two. One I got when I was on extended travel (during the early days) and the other I got when temporarily lost the first one.

Which is the earliest one, at one time I knew how they were generated?

By the way I really like the forum and some of the questions are entertaining. For my bulletin board (password protected), I do not allow anonymous log-on. I don't believe there is a legitimate reason to post anything on a public site that you would not say in public. One of the reasons that I don't allow anonymous posts is because of the character assasinations I have seen on some of the other bulletin boards... We had a real problem with it on the Potomac Region Bulletin Board. People get incredibly brave when their real name is not associated with their idea.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:27 PM
Jenn
Admin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Alan,

I just emailed you your member number....

-Jen
Old 07-03-2001, 05:08 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Respectfully, I've also seen a lot of 'bravery' (e.g., character assasinations), when real names are associated with user comments. Potomac is a case in point. Named login didn't stop character assasinations or even slow them down - though it did slow down a few lurkers who had to change their handles to 'resemble' real names.

Personally, I like Rennlist and the current format. Rennlist seems far more 'international' in scope and diversity than other sites. And I haven't seen a heavy hand come down and censor anyone to date, though I confess I haven't read all the posts. The Rennlist site seems, so far, a better place to discuss freely Porsche matters than the local club-related sites.

PS: I'm a PCA member and enjoy my local club, but the local club websites that I've dropped in on around the continent really seem to be just for local club members. The writing from outsiders to a local club site seems to be kind of discouraged, tacitly or explicitly. Rennlist doesn't have that local club bias or rigid adherence to the social norms of a local territory.

YMMV

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: BigPorscheGuy39 ]

Quick Reply: member number & rant