Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:28 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Member Rating System (for John)

John,

Thank you for providing such a great forum for us gearheads and p-car enthusiasts. I have benefitted greatly from your efforts.

Like a few others, I question the utility of the member rating system. I've not seen it on other boards with a similar structure, such as bmwm5.com.

Today, I noticed that the encyclopedic (or is it omniscient) Viken has seen his rating "slip" from a 5 to 4. Hard for me to figure out that one.

Do you think it is a vital feature? It strikes me as a remnant of the popularity contests from the high school yearbook days!

Again, thank you for all your hard work. Forgive my armchair quarterbacking!
Old 06-04-2001, 11:26 AM
Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see (instead of individual ratings) a way to assign a value to a specific post (Rate this post!).

Then, perhaps, a user could be "rated" based on the values of his posts. Say, "Number of posts" AND "Recommended posts". Yes, the "Recommended posts" total could be higher than the "Number of posts" total if one is judicious in ones posting.

However, ratings of individuals are OK if they are private (e.g., My favorites!). Then a feature could be added that would allow me to read all the posts by my favorites - or at least highlight them somehow so I can spot them while I browse). The reverse could be true - create a "bad guy" list that would allow me to hide posts by those I care not to read. (No I don't have any of those on this board!)

Yup - easy for me to suggest - I'm not writing the code.

Regards.

Quick Reply: Member Rating System (for John)