Notices

Importing US-spec Car into France

Old 08-06-2014, 10:35 PM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Importing US-spec Car into France

I'm thinking of shipping my 2001 996 Cabriolet to France, where I live part time. Anybody have any experience doing the same? I'm trying to find out what modifications are likely to be required to get the car registered there. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:46 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am about to start the paperwork for my 993.
3 agencies to deal with: Local DREAL, regular Controle Technique, and finally Prefecture just like any other car.

Start by requesting a "Certificat de Conformité Partiel" from these guys:

PORSCHE FRANCE
Service Homologation
122, Avenue Général Leclerc
92514 Boulogne/Billancourt Cédex

Phone : 01.55.19.91.10

The "certificat" will show you exactly what you will need to change/modify on your car.
For mine, it is just: F+R blinkers, adding rear fog lights, and a stupid constructor plate in the front trunk. No emissions to deal with. Yours might be even easier since it is newer.

Don't buy any parts before you talk to the local DREAL office. I heard you can get exemptions for certain things sometimes...

Last edited by CaptainGSR; 04-28-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 PM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
I am about to start the paperwork for my 993.
3 agencies to deal with: Local DREAL, Prefecture, and regular Controle Technique just like any other car.

Start by requesting a "Certificat de Conformite Partiel" from these guys:

PORSCHE FRANCE
Service Homologation
122, Avenue Général Leclerc
92514 Boulogne/Billancourt Cédex

Phone : 01.55.19.91.10

The "certificat" will show you exactly what you will need to change on your car.
For mine, it is just: headlights/rear blinkers/adding rear fog lights and a stupid constructor plate in the front trunk. No emissions to deal with. Yours might be even easier since it is newer.

Don't buy any parts before you talk to the local DREAL office. I heard you can get exemptions for certain things sometimes...

Johan, thanks for the EXTREMELY helpful post. You outlined the steps I had understood were necessary, but was unaware you could get the Certificat de Conformité Partielle from Porsche France. I'll check with them ASAP. Was there a fee?

I'd be delighted to hear about your progress as you go through the process. If I decide to ship my car, it will be for arrival next April.

Just curious, where in France are you?

David

'01 996 Cabriolet
'73 BMW 3.0CS
'13 Audi A3 Sportback
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I sent you a PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 PM
dpdapper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
The "certificat" will show you exactly what you will need to change on your car.

For mine, it is just: headlights/rear blinkers/adding rear fog lights and a stupid constructor plate in the front trunk. No emissions to deal with. Yours might be even easier since it is newer.

Meant to ask: not sure what you mean by a "constructor plate."

BTW, when are you exporting your 993? I'll be anxious to hear how your visit to DREAL goes!

David

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Importing US-spec Car into France