Notices

Question about Relocating to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Relocating to Europe

I was wondering if it is possible to take your car with you to Europe. What are the requirements, costs associated if you move to Germany for example?

Reason why I am asking that I am likely moving back to Europe (country tbd but probably, Germany, France or Italy) I want to take my 2014 C4S with me when I do.

So.. Is it possible to import your car? Have you done it?
Please share any tips and information you might have.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:05 AM
chrismmm
Instructor

Military service members/americans that are stationed overseas do this all the time. and yes, I have done this but this was while I was in the service in 1990s.

There may be a couple of points that need to be clarified before you get an accurate response from someone who has done this recently (not me), Such as: are you going to register the car under EU laws or are you being sponsored by a US company or agency? does the car have US Specs or EU specs?

The answers to these questions also will impact you in regards to taxes, insurance, license, inspections. Im sure there are a few other things that you may need to consider as well. Hope this helps a little.

Cheers
Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by chrismmm
military service members/americans that are stationed overseas do this all the time. I have done this but while I was in the service in 1990 there may be a couple of points that need to be clarified before you get an accurate response from someone who has done this recently (not me), Such as: are you going to register the car under EU laws or are you being sponsored by a US company or agency? does the car have US Specs or EU specs?
the answers to these questions also will impact you in regards to taxes, insurance, license, inspections. Im sure there are a few other things that you may need to consider as well.
Hope this helps a little.
Cheers
Ok.. so if I re-locate, it would be thru a us based company. I am not sure they would cover the car though as most people just sell theirs.
To take into consideration, I am actually a German National and I would proably register the car under EU Laws etc..
The car itself is arriving this December and of course, build in Germany but sold to US and with US specs.

Oh, an non military.. relocation.. just a regular high tech industry job

My re-location is not for a good long while.. but it is definitely going to happen.
After custom ordering my car and spending so much money, I want to take it with me. Taking Depreciation etc into account, It would not be worth it to sell the car for at least another 7 years.
Plus, if I take this to Germany, the value goes up a great deal. I build the same car in the German Porsche configurator and the price is much, much higher.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:24 AM
chrismmm
Instructor

hmmm. im thinking you may want to look two places to find a shipper and more information. I would ask the same porsche dealership that is importing it now about shipping it later. A cheaper alternative may be one of the companys that does this for the military. I would also ask someone about ramifications of operating a us spec vehicle in eu, permananetly. I mean, there may be no issue at all but I would not leave it as an unknown. As an IT guy myself Im sure you can understand the risk that would need to be mitigated later as well as any costs associated with converting from one set of specs to another. Again it may be null but better to know now versus at Bremenhaven port picking up your car!

Quick Reply: Question about Relocating to Europe