Fuchs Replicas

Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Fuchs Replicas

From "Jam Rimz". I am looking for a winter set of rims for my 996 C4S:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/ci...ationFlag=true

Has anyone purchased from them? They have a large number of google reviews, but I can't find much forum traffic about them. The price seems very low, and the voice in my head (well, one of the voices anyways) keeps chanting, "you get what you pay for..."
Old 03-24-2017, 11:29 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's the average cost that you've seen elsewhere that makes you feel these may be under-priced due to quality?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:43 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
What's the average cost that you've seen elsewhere that makes you feel these may be under-priced due to quality?
It is a good question, and one that I don't really have an answer to. Some searching on-line doesn't produce much usable data. Most of the Fuchs replicas I can find seem to be higher priced. These would be the low end.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:06 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll have warranty if you buy then new, get them checked out by your Indy to see if there are any balancing or structural issues before you install them. Also, check the weight, they may be cheaper because they might be using heavier (therefore cheaper) materials.

Originally Posted by strathconaman
It is a good question, and one that I don't really have an answer to. Some searching on-line doesn't produce much usable data. Most of the Fuchs replicas I can find seem to be higher priced. These would be the low end.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

it always concerns me with adds that say final sale, no exchanges no returns.

Last edited by theiceman; 03-25-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:25 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Would you trust these on the track? If no, you probably shouldn't on the street either.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$799 for the set is extremely cheap if they're made by a decent manufacturer!

The ad states they're new, but doesn't name the manufacturer. Most good quality Fuchs replicas (Fiske for example) cost more than $799 per wheel. Brand new Fuchs (the modern ones, which these resemble) are around 600 euros per wheel. Something seems fishy there to me.

Last edited by Donster; 03-24-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Mark Henry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're very likely (as in 99.9% sure) the made in china replicas.
Yes they are heavier because they're cast not forged and like most replicas they won't look correct side by side with the real thing.
Would I race with them? Absolutely not, but they should be fine for street use.

Almost all these rims have a no return policy, unless you can prove they're defective.
The VW crowd have been using these replica rims for decades. Some of their cars are mini 911 wannabees, my '67 beetle is a 2.6L, 180hp (dynoed), Type 4, LN nickies, EFI, etc., with a 911 transmission.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

No way would I trust these on my car without any good research into the manufacturing process. You will find many Chinese wheel manufacturers have major failures, and once that happens you are on your own. Your 996 C42 weighs around 3300 pounds, very different from a lightweight vw. you can easily pick up a set of OEM Porsche used rims for that price. Put quality stuff on your car.
Now there are some ok wheel manufacturers in China but you need confirmation.
If a wheel breaks you are looking at axle, brake parts, suspension and body work, how will they affect resale? and to save a couple hundred dollars?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:49 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm the last person to advise someone to make sure you buy top-of-the-line this, or OEM that, I've used tons of cheap Chinese parts in certain places, usually with good results. Wheels however are one of the places I wouldn't buy knock-off Chinese-made stuff. As Danny pointed out, fuchs were made for much lighter cars, so reproductions would likely be as well, not for a much heavier 996. I've read of several problems with the knock-off fuchs over on Pelican (though most of those were at the track). I'd avoid them and spend the money for proper wheels.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously guys, any wheel can fail especially older well used wheels. I've had a Porsche Phone Dial wheel fail on me a few years ago, it was what many would consider mint condition with no curb rash but fail it did, at first I though the two year old tire failed due to road hazard but the shop found evidence that the wheel failed not the tire. It took out the brake wear sensor wire, the wire retainer on the caliper and left scratches on the caliper; luckily there was no body damage.

Since then I've upgraded to newer Porsche wheels but alwas mindful that light alloy wheels can fail
Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 PM
Mark Henry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Your 996 C42 weighs around 3300 pounds, very different from a lightweight vw.
We have several members using them on the 914/6 at around 2500lbs about 7-800lbs lighter than a 996.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:17 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't. Only thing holding you to the road are four contact patches the size of your hand and the only thing holding them to your car are the rims and suspension. Especially on winter roads you need tough wheels given the monster pot holes.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:30 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
Don't. Only thing holding you to the road are four contact patches the size of your hand and the only thing holding them to your car are the rims and suspension. Especially on winter roads you need tough wheels given the monster pot holes.
I agree completely. I've never been able to understand why so many people lay out the cash required to buy and maintain a Porsche, then cheap out on essentials like wheels and tires. The last thing you should cheap out on for any vehicle are winter tires and rims.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:07 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Donster
I agree completely. I've never been able to understand why so many people lay out the cash required to buy and maintain a Porsche, then cheap out on essentials like wheels and tires. The last thing you should cheap out on for any vehicle are winter tires and rims.
Especially when there are good deals on used OEM rims because people buy flashy aftermarket ones and sell the OEM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuchs Replicas