Notices

OT 7:05 at the Ring//is this the future??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Default OT 7:05 at the Ring//is this the future??

Even Porsche is going to make an electric car as we know…and it sure ail take the drama out of driving…………

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuW9...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-23-2017, 04:23 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what people said when ABS, traction control, power steering & liquid cooled cars were introduced :P Driving & racing will always be fun one way or the other.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

We live in the dawn of the electric car and the dusk of the internal combustion engine. Interesting times, never the less.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Marc Masterson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Therès some dude in the states driving around to drag strips in his Tesla...he cranks the juice so much it drains the full battery after a couple runs but he is unbeatable. Ol guy wrenching his car for years to get it ..fast.. gets blown away. He is pretty impressed, his son wants to ride the next run in the Tesla. Video of the kids smile ear to ear is pretty cool.

You know what car poster the kids looking to put up in room next.

I would look for the video and post but Im lazy.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:48 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 343 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Masterson
Therès some dude in the states driving around to drag strips in his Tesla...he cranks the juice so much it drains the full battery after a couple runs but he is unbeatable. Ol guy wrenching his car for years to get it ..fast.. gets blown away. He is pretty impressed, his son wants to ride the next run in the Tesla. Video of the kids smile ear to ear is pretty cool.

You know what car poster the kids looking to put up in room next.

I would look for the video and post but Im lazy.

Ask him his time for a lap on the Nurburgring (he won't because the car can't finish one at speed).
Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 298 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
We live in the dawn of the electric car and the dusk of the internal combustion engine. Interesting times, never the less.
Other than Toyota, the big car companies are loosing $10K to $15K US per electric and close to that on hybrids. Further to this they have miniscule market share 'cause no one wants 'em. Tesla looses upwards of $15K US per car. Without a battery Black Swan, which they've been looking for since 1903, it won't happen.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Marc Masterson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you 100% today...but think about 5 yrs. 20yrs.. a kid born today will look at aspirated , 1000s of parts, combustion as cave dwellers lol.....iPad and a battery Giver! Lol
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The future will be fuel cell vehicles using hydrogen gas to charge the on board battery to power the electric motor.
The challenge facing us is economically producing the H2, compressing the H2 to ~10,000 psig and storing H2 in carbon fibre cylinders within the vehicle.
Exhaust product = H2O
Old 03-24-2017, 12:29 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll pass on electric cars, absolutely no desire.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:03 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 351 Posts

probably one of the youngest guys here, have 0 desire to own/drive electric cars, I understand them and they serve a purpose, and have been in the Tesla's under launch, etc.....blahhh, boring AF.
Reason we love cars (most of us) is the driving experience...easy example would be the valuation of the current air-cooled 911 or water-cooled GT market...
Old 03-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

I like to be shot out of a cannon, regardless if it's electric or internal combustion. At the same time I also like the feel and sound of a internal combustion engine with a manual gearbox but the future is electric.
What we feel and think here on RL is not what the average person wants. They could care less what it can do at the Ring or the feedback a car gives to the driver. Just look at what happened to the manual transmission and you'll understand what will happen to the piston engine. The average person wants reliability and cheap maintenance. Electric motors have hardly any moving parts and need almost no maintenance. No transmission worry about, timing belts, oil changes,etc. Think of it as having a car without an engine and a transmission and imagine how simpler life would be.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,163 Likes on 834 Posts

I think Ronnie is dead wrong .. It will happen and is inevitable. We are just at the beginning of the timeline is all and they are not enough in the mainstream to make it profitable. This is a fate often met by pioneers, but they do pave the way forward for others.

We came out with the flat screen TV at one time . People thought they were ridiculously expensive, manufacturers lost money on every one, and people thought the tube TV would NEVER go away as it had been around forever.......
Old 03-24-2017, 12:03 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Change is difficult, either you embrace change or it will run you over and leave you behind in its dust. Change doesn't have emotions and doesn't care about how you feel.

Now, it is your decision when and to what extent you embrace the change. Nothing wrong with you NEVER owning an EV but in another 15 - 20 years there will be a significant number of EVs on the road and I expect to see 3 fuel pumps & 6 charging stations at every gas station.

Originally Posted by theiceman
I think Ronnie is dead wrong .. It will happen and is inevitable. We are just at the beginning of the timeline is all and they are not enough in the mainstream to make it profitable. This is a fate often met by pioneers, but they do pave the way forward for others.

We came out with the flat screen TV at one time . People thought they were ridiculously expensive, manufacturers lost money on every one, and people thought the tube TV would NEVER go away as it had been around forever.......
Old 03-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Seen in the small town of Rolla Missouri in November...Tesla is doing an amazing job of covering every major highway in the US...

Name:  IMG_2426_zpsdhfqiywf.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  1.51 MB

I agree that change is inevitable. Of course, I like mechanical devices, but I am not the future. It will happen. I think the way people buy cars will change drastically with some sort of car sharing. Cadillac is already experimenting with a plan where you have a monthly charge but you can change your car very frequently.For most people a car is an appliance, (and you quietly talk to sales people at dealers, (yes Porsche included),you will find that the impassioned debates here are not typical of buyers at all.

The new Panamera is massively backordered, the shooting brake is going to be a big deal, and the Macan is a smash. The 911 will mainly be a sporty car with lots of electronics, 90% PDK across the range, or no transmissions when the first electric ones eventually arrive.

As always, the previous Porsches are considered the very best by the cognoscenti. Logically nothing has ever bettered the first 356 on that basis.

I like cars from the past like my old RS, but I am certainly nor going to shy away from the future.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

I think this technology is absolutely amazing. In the grand scheme of things it is happening very fast.

Could you image the feedback you must get from this car at the track without the noise and vibration from the engine and transmission?

Quick Reply: OT 7:05 at the Ring//is this the future??