Notices

Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Bleifuss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a week in Tuscany yesterday. We rented a car with full insurance coverage and my wife as an additional driver for less than $400 with pick up and drop off at 2 different airports. Definitely rent a car and explore some of the towns.

I don't know what the drive is like south of Rome but in Tuscany, it was all amazing twisty roads with spectacular views.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:19 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Tuscany is gorgeous, cant wait to go back.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We drove from Frankfurt to Rome in a rental Ford C-Max. Got that baby up to 192km on the Autobahn.
Driving in Italy is fine - except for the big cities. Verona was my favourite, Florence was pretty scary for driving. Road rules are optional, and the GPS was moderately useful. You have to drive somewhat aggressively there. eg: once in Florence we stopped in a left turn bay at a red light. Up beside me squeezes another car in the single lane, thinking he could nudge in when the light turned. Had to play a bit of chicken to keep him back. They push, but only so far. They are good drivers.
Drove a bit in Rome, but dumped the car quick because we were walking distance to everything.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:57 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Everyone keeps telling you to drive even though you have said you don't want to drive

No offense to the international traveler here but if I was you I would look at dedicated travel sites and local forums that specifically target the areas you want to go to. Maybe start with Expedia and Trip Advisor. Look on the forums not the main recommendation pages. I have found sites like this hugely valuable to plan trips and get recommendations and feedback. There are usually a few people (same as on any forum) who seem to spend most of their waking hours dispensing advice and many times they are expats who live there and just like being helpful

Gawd help you though in July in Italy with a toddler - you must really love your wife to agree to that
Old 03-26-2017, 07:31 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

traveling with a toddler is an utter waste of $.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:10 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Chimcu,

Assuming you are still looking for advice, this is mine.

Fly into Rome, Air Canada flies non-stop daily from Toronto, I've looked at costs, if you can be flexible there are fares around 1,000 return which I find very competitive with 1.35 CAD/USD and 1.50 CAD/Euro. Spend some time in Rome, it's worth it for the history, if not there is a train from the airport into the main station and from there take the train to Naples or all the way to Sorrento. Google Tren Italia and you should be able to book the tickets on-line. I rented a car in Naples and drove South to Sorrento. There is Pompey and Herculaneum on the way plus the Vesuvius volcano if you are interested and have the time.

Car rental - Auto Europe has very good prices, check their web site or call them.

I recommend you read about the destination from someone who does this for a living, Lonely Planet. Go to their website and you should be able to download the chapter that includes the Amalfi Coast, should be no more than 4 or 5 dollars. This will help with planning the itinerary, things to see and do, and hotels. Another very good source is Rick Steves guidebook and from all I know he has a chapter dedicated to the Amalfi Coast (I know for sure he has one for Cinque Terre).

About Rick Steves, in 2003 I paid 100 dollars I think it was and one of their guides researched my intended itinerary and advised me how and what including hotel recommendations in different places. I am still using those hotels every time I go to Italy and Spain, for me it was money very well spent. Remember, Lonely Planet will give you the info but if you want professional help planning the itinerary and where to stay then Rick Steves is your friend (I hope they still offer this service, I haven't checked).

There is a ferry from Sorrento to Capri, see if you can find them on-line if not you buy the tickets at the counter in Sorrento (they assign a return trip at a specific hour, I can see the reason). Once in Capri there are outfits that go to the Blue Grotto, I preferred to take a 2 hour tour around the island that included the Blue Grotto (expect a 30 min wait to get into the Grotto, there are lots of boats waiting their turn). There are buses on Capri to take you from site to site and a chairlift to take you up the mountain (excellent view). Al this info together with names and who does what is available in the Lonely Planet guide.

July should not be too bad, August is (the later in July you go the more crowded it will be). It is worth every penny to drive yourself, the scenery is beautiful with the mountains dropping into the sea, there is also a grotto somewhere along the road similar to the one on Capri (and yes, you can visit it). A car will give you the flexibility and I can think of much more dangerous places to drive than Italy. Just make sure you do not park in a no parking zone, I did and the police promptly towed it. The fine was not budget breaking but still, was not fun.

If there is anything else you think I can help you pls ask in this forum or send me a private message, I'll be happy to assist. And by all means go for it, Amalfi Coast is magical

George

I
Old 03-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

^^ hi George44,

I'll be pming you soon.. Let me go and locate that book and it'll be a good read on the GO train.. I'll be definitely checking out the Lonely Planet as well..

I figure this forum has always given me good advice hence I started here.. Although, I would strongly disagree with the person that said travelling with a toddler is waste of money.. And if it is, then I rather waste my money on my kids than material things

PS.. my son will be going to Thailand and Hawaii with me this year as well.. guess that's a lot of wasted money
Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Its not a waste if you enjoy it, which you obviously do.

They grow up so fast
Old 03-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

^^ yeah... this definitely wont' be the same as when my wife and I travelling through Europe for 5 weeks with no plans LOL.. I am sure my back will hurt and we'll get into a few arguments ... but you are right, can't believe he's already 1 years old .... Time flies.. gotta enjoy him when he's young and can't tell you off just yet
Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Chimcu
^^ hi George44,

I'll be pming you soon.. Let me go and locate that book and it'll be a good read on the GO train.. I'll be definitely checking out the Lonely Planet as well..

I figure this forum has always given me good advice hence I started here.. Although, I would strongly disagree with the person that said travelling with a toddler is waste of money.. And if it is, then I rather waste my money on my kids than material things

PS.. my son will be going to Thailand and Hawaii with me this year as well.. guess that's a lot of wasted money
As a father of 8 and 10 year old boys, I do have some experience. Kids have different expectations for travel than adults do. I take my kids every summer to a different MLB city to watch a Jays game, the intention that we do it every summer until they are sick of me. I am going to Japan this summer. Would I bring them with me on that trip? Nope. They won't want to go to Michelin restaurants or some more of the esoteric stuff. That being said, have a blast with your son and I hope he enjoys your planned trips and remembers them when he is older.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i would fly to Rome. take the train. 2 trains, actually. then the 2 hr bus ride.
transportation cost, almost nil. a bit of an adventure.
what could go wrong?

Quick Reply: Amalfi Coast