Notices

Keys in the post

Old 03-11-2017, 08:31 PM
dkasserra
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keys in the post

Has anyone ever used these guys? I am looking to get a spare key, my car only came with one, and heaven forbid it is lost or stops working. I was going to purchase the key with the transponder but it will need to be programmed . Does the dealer need to do this or can locksmiths do this? Will I need any special information with the key? I have read that dealers need a code that comes with the key to program the key. Or this only for the keys with remotes?
The prices of these keys is crazy
I am in Kingston, ON. If you know of anyone in this area that can program the key, it could save a drive to Toronto or Ottawa.

Keysinthepost.com
Cheers
Old 03-11-2017, 09:00 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

I am also looking....

I have a 2009 and so it uses a metal key, but the key case also acts as a fob. In my case everything still works - I just need 2 new plastic "bodies" (because the buttons have come loose).

Last edited by vetfever; 03-11-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I do not believe that you can program keys outside a dealer. They are usually pretty careful about this and you have to bring in your remaining key for verification .
Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vetfever
I am also looking....

I have a 2009 and so it uses a metal key, but the key case also acts as a fob. In my case everything still works - I just need 2 new plastic "bodies" (because the buttons have come loose).
Clarifying...
Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I got a key from keysinthepost a couple of years ago. Great service and key was perfect. Remember though, that they only do the metal grond part. The fob has two additional bits, the remote and a tiny chip. That chip is what must be programmed by a dealer. Beware of used fobs as I was told that that chip could not be reprogrammed once it has been locked to one car.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:36 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also looking....

Hi Jack, unfortunately, Porsche will not sell you the plastic bodies but only the complete fob ($$$) plus programming charge Fortunately, you can buy the plastic bodies from multiple sources in China: for example, go to ebay.com, type "porsche 997 key fob 2 button" in the search field and pick a plastic fob body for $20 to $30. Very easy (that's what I did and I cannot tell the difference between the "real" Porsche fob and the Chinese knock-off )
Old 03-12-2017, 09:00 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AM993
Hi Jack, unfortunately, Porsche will not sell you the plastic bodies but only the complete fob ($$$) plus programming charge Fortunately, you can buy the plastic bodies from multiple sources in China: for example, go to ebay.com, type "porsche 997 key fob 2 button" in the search field and pick a plastic fob body for $20 to $30. Very easy (that's what I did and I cannot tell the difference between the "real" Porsche fob and the Chinese knock-off )
Very helpful - Merci

I have been busy every Saturday for the last few weeks. Need to get to Artisano's soon...
Old 03-12-2017, 11:29 PM
Little Fryer
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just recently looking into this also. I received quotes from three Toronto area Porsche dealers and they were all around $495. (2004 Porsche 911 - $495.28 plus taxes. The price is broken down as followed;Remote: $235.28, Key blade $95.00, Programming $165.00) I also contacted a "Auto Locksmith" in the Hamilton area and he gave me a price of $180. plus taxes to get a "clone" key, he said it will not have the remote door/frunk open function but would start the car. I haven't decide what to do as yet....
Old 03-13-2017, 09:54 AM
cpt_slow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (Locksmiths) Can't get Porsche keys because they are encrypted. We could cut you a blank to get in just like the company in Hamilton said but it wouldn't start the car. $180 for the "clone" is highway robbery btw.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 AM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am also looking....

The buttons have little tabs on the underside to keep them from falling out, but they break off over time. Super easy to fix - as someone else mentioned, you can get cheap ones from eBay or Amazon for $5-10 each. And then you just replace the buttons! That way you keep your original plastic case with the Porsche crest and don't need to deal with swapping the electronics or the metal key.

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Button-Remo...Make%3APorsche

Last edited by orange260z; 03-26-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-26-2017, 01:44 PM
soontobe
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried the cheap ebay route and it was a mistake.
After awhile the key would no longer start the car. the quality is not there. at the end i dropped 500 at the dealer and have a great key I can count on to work all the functions and no issues now. Your choice.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by soontobe
I tried the cheap ebay route and it was a mistake.
After awhile the key would no longer start the car. the quality is not there. at the end i dropped 500 at the dealer and have a great key I can count on to work all the functions and no issues now. Your choice.
I had a similar issue on my BMW. I had a new key cut from an Ebay fob blank and reprogrammed it myself. A few months later the blade was getting loose and the buttons were iffy.. I didn't want the blade breaking off in the cylinder so I purchased a new fob from the dealer for 300$ which orders them directly from Germany, takes 4-6 days. My classic E34 I thought I had lost the key and did the same,directly through the dealer. Ordered 2 keys and found the "lost" key after the order was placed. I'll prob have a 3rd key cut for the 987 as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orange260z
The buttons have little tabs on the underside to keep them from falling out, but they break off over time. Super easy to fix - as someone else mentioned, you can get cheap ones from eBay or Amazon for $5-10 each. And then you just replace the buttons! That way you keep your original plastic case with the Porsche crest and don't need to deal with swapping the electronics or the metal key.

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Button-Remo...Make%3APorsche
Exactly what I was planning. I should have them in a few days...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keys in the post