Notices

Fair dealer add-on charges?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts
Default Fair dealer add-on charges?

Just got a quote from a dealer on a new TTS and was surprised by some add-ons. Last few cars I bought new in the USA, so not fully familiar with Canadian dealer practices. How typical are these and what would be an appropriate reaction (be insulted, negotiate a little, just pay)?

Freight is quoted at $3K instead of $1200 in the online configurator
Document fee: $500 (in the USA Porsche dealers charge $50, and I know there are not that many documents to fill in, having bought and imported many cars)
Antitheft registration: $400 (I'm sure I should just say "no thank you")
Tequipment package: $695 (I did not order any tequipment)

Anyway, let me know if that's typical or if I'm getting some special treatment and how much should I push back. I'm paying full MSRP on the car, and I did not bargain about that.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:33 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ I would call around, those prices seem high and some I never heard of. Mind you, I'm not sure if it's dealer specific or just with the Turbo's? I've never ordered a Turbo.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Anti theft registration is the biggest POS scam dealers pull on unsuspecting customers. I would nail them on each and every one of those fees. 3k for delivery? Did they ship it alone on its own ship? lol
The following users liked this post:
Nate Tempest (04-24-2020)
Old 03-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have purchased several new 911's in Toronto and never had those charges. Push back. Get an explanation. Maybe Ronan has some words of wisdom here. I have used Pfaff for the last 2 and have had no issues. Maybe the turbo's are sent differently and they can explain.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:42 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Tequipment and anti-theft are taken off. Delivery charge stays - they claim it's higher than 1250 quoted in the online configurator because of enclosed truck transport from Halifax, which may or may not be true. I'll leave it at that.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Tequipment and anti-theft are taken off. Delivery charge stays - they claim it's higher than 1250 quoted in the online configurator because of enclosed truck transport from Halifax, which may or may not be true. I'll leave it at that.
It's enclosed transport from the train yard to the dealer. I believe those are are shipped with spring rubbers to raise the height of suspension for transport. I remember them being a PDI item on S4s
Old 03-05-2017, 06:29 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

This doesn’t sound like the business practices of the Vancouver Porsche Center. (they’re unabashedly expensive and don’t feel the need to resort to stupid hidden cash grabs). Is this maybe the Langley Porsche Center?

My boyfriend decided we needed to get rid of our perfectly good Lexus SUV and replace it with a new Jaguar F-Pace SUV. He’s a baby who needs instant gratification. He doesn’t want to wait for a custom order to arrive, so we looked on the Jag dealer’s online inventories for the right colors and equipment. We took some preliminary paperwork on a couple cars home to look over. Like your experience, they were marking up Jag Canada’s official prices on the $1600 shipping to $2000, the PDI from $495 to $595, the document fee from $300 to $595 etc. etc. This is really insulting to their clientele to use such crappy devices to squeeze a few extra dollars’ profit. If you make a fuss they will drop the majority of the charges, but will then want to deduct $ value of them from the skinny little percent discount on the retail car price. All in all, even if you finally negotiate a fair and reasonable price, you leave feeling like you were hustled by a low end used car salesman.

By the way, both Porsche and Jaguar (and other makes), charge every dealer (notwithstanding the dealer’s distance from the port of entry) the same shipping rate per car. Your dealer was insulting you with his story of the extra charge for special trucking all the way from the east coast to Vancouver. As Gregster stated, Porsche uses enclosed rail cars for the trip. Every Porsche dealer pays the same rate to get the car from Germany to his city.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:21 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Yep, I guess that's what it is. But I was ok with the Delivery + PDE charge because they took off the rest and did not charge extra for European delivery (3500 cost to them AFAIK), which some dealers do on Turbos because those are going to sell regardless. But the tactic definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

I've paid $1995 for delivery and pdi. I believe $1200 is the mandatory delivery cost and the rest on top is the dealers charge for PDI'ng the car. Maybe a few hours shop work. I've also paid $595 for admin which is to fill out a nvis form and other internal admin costs (profit). $100 for an a/c tax and maybe a tire tax. Some dealers could charge more like $2500 for delivery and pdi.

I look at most of these costs above the 1200 and a/c tax as part of the dealer profit so it's up to you on if you want to negotiation these. No chance of negotiating these charges on a GT car but a Turbo S should have a lot of profit room for the dealer to work with you.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Yep, I guess that's what it is. But I was ok with the Delivery + PDE charge because they took off the rest and did not charge extra for European delivery (3500 cost to them AFAIK), which some dealers do on Turbos because those are going to sell regardless. But the tactic definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
A local BMW dealer was selling Euro delivery slots on ///M cars for an 8k premium and you still had to get over there yourself.. The ad made it's way to BMW Canada and was quickly removed.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:31 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

So.... go pick the car up in Halifax.
Drive it west. Trip of a lifetime.

I don't mind my dealer getting a little chubby off my business.
I just don't like them getting FAT.

How about Calgary pick up?
Here is a 2012? https://porschecentrecalgary.com/inv...a+White+780268
save yourself 60-70 large....
Old 04-24-2020, 01:23 AM
PCJR
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I purchased my 2020 Carrera S aventurine green with beige/black very nicely equipped about one month ago at a bit over 11% off msrp. No trade and no bs markups or dealer fees. Shipping via high end enclosed van was right at $1/mile. Be careful with brokers and stay flexible within reason for pick up date. I was anxious to have my car picked up the same day my paperwork was received by the dealer. Freight rate was about $1.60/ mile. I waited two days and the rate dropped to $1/mile.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by PCJR
I purchased my 2020 Carrera S aventurine green with beige/black very nicely equipped about one month ago at a bit over 11% off msrp. No trade and no bs markups or dealer fees. Shipping via high end enclosed van was right at $1/mile. Be careful with brokers and stay flexible within reason for pick up date. I was anxious to have my car picked up the same day my paperwork was received by the dealer. Freight rate was about $1.60/ mile. I waited two days and the rate dropped to $1/mile.
Why did you just drive the car home?
Old 04-24-2020, 12:06 PM
PCJR
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Why did you just drive the car home?
I'm sorry this actually posted in the wrong thread. I didn't want to fly during covid 19 and drive 800 miles of the 1000 mile trip back in the snow. Too much risk in road and rock damage.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:43 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Delivery sounds reasonable to Van. I paid $1000 for my RS to Pfaff. The Tequipment and anti-theft are bull****. I told my SA from the get go not to try and play those games - they try to stick it on all special cars.

Quick Reply: Fair dealer add-on charges?