Notices

OT: Collection Agency recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 470 Posts

Facebook Post

Sounds to me like your not going to get your money unless you pay him a visit and or go to court. You can start by reporting the copyright infringement to Facebook and visit the publisher of the magazine, perhaps he owes them money as well?

What was the magazine?
Old 02-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
.............What was the magazine?
Limos & Hoes!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:17 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Limos & Hoes!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:18 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Have you tried picking up the phone? Over and over again.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Ontario does. In one case that went to a trial I filed a garnishee. It resulted in monthly payments, with much higher interest than I could get anywhere else, paid into court and subsequently forwarded to me. In another the pre-trial hearing judge advised the defendant to go to the court clerk and pay up. Got a check in a couple of weeks. Easy peasy. I got costs in both cases and all the money.
That's not the court collecting for you. In the case of the garnishment, it's the employer doing the collecting for you, and yes, garnishment is great if you can get it. Unfortunately many deadbeats don't have jobs, or jobs with an employer who is setup to garnish wages. And getting there isn't easy, you have to first obtain judgment, give them a chance to pay, file a motion for garnishment, then get it setup with the employer. Last time I successfully garnished wages, it was probably the better part of a year before payments started coming in, and several hundred dollars in paralegal fees.

The judge advising a defendant to "pay up" and the defendant actually doing so on the spot is just bum luck. If the guy decided to leave without paying, you'd be starting the legwork of collecting the money.

Believe me, getting judgment is the easy part. Collecting can be a nightmare. I've been down that road probably 15 or 20 times over the years (work, not personal) and it's always misery.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:31 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
You own the photos until they're paid for don't you?

i know you get paid for the time but is he using the photos?
Intellectual property is yours unless you signed over permission and or paid I would think.
I say start trashing on their FB and webpage.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Intellectual property is yours unless you signed over permission and or paid I would think.
I say start trashing on their FB and webpage.
Or post their name and I'll do it for you after a few
Old 08-28-2017, 10:49 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

To close the loop, after contacting the person many times who commissioned the work but has sold the company, then sending a registered letter to the office address that was returned since no one was there to sign for it, then finally contacting the current "Operations Manager", I finally got paid today, the money is in my account.

I never did go for the collection agency or small claim court route, patience, persistence and remaining professional helped getting paid at the end, although it could have gone the other way also with both parties refuses to pay up.

Payment up front next time!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Congrats
Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
To close the loop, after contacting the person many times who commissioned the work but has sold the company, then sending a registered letter to the office address that was returned since no one was there to sign for it, then finally contacting the current "Operations Manager", I finally got paid today, the money is in my account.

I never did go for the collection agency or small claim court route, patience, persistence and remaining professional helped getting paid at the end, although it could have gone the other way also with both parties refuses to pay up.

Payment up front next time!
Congrats....so where are you buying us beer?jk

Quick Reply: OT: Collection Agency recommendation