Received 145 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
why all the hate for forced induction?

I'd take forced induction (ie variable gate turbo) over:

displacement - fuel prices; fuel prices
variable cam (vtec, vario cam) -rev the snot out of it
hybrid - not quite sold on it yet - complexities of a 'new' design

anyday.
A very high performance N/A engine really is the $hit. I do like forced induction and it is absolutely incredible what they are getting out of small displacement engines nowadays, but the engine sound and driving feel just isn't the same. I have the "end of the era" M3 with the 414 hp 4.0 N/A V8, and while the new one is a bit faster, the driving experience doesn't compare. Many of these turbo cars (my 2015 Ford Edge included) have to pump synthetic engine into the stereo speakers to make it sound half decent.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:02 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
No reason in particular other than ****ty throttle response, ****ty sound and all-round ****tier.

Could just be me though.
It is you.
****ty throttle response, don't think so
****ty sound, Not really
All round much faster....

Old 02-07-2017, 04:36 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Well, the problem is that they are likely to put their development dollars where they get performance. We can see today that something like the current GTS will outperform a 997 GT3 for instance.. With the continuing ability to push more performance through the turbo engines they will have a sales challenge in a lower performance engine with presumably inferior fuel economy. I would think the business case would be challenging.
Thus I would bet a few runout ( and expensive) limited runs will be about the end of it.
I wouldn't bet against this scenario but I think they are making a huge mistake. Historically Porsche has put development $$ into both and I think that business case continues because the consumer hasn't changed. Were I looking for new sports car, the C7 or GT350, both also available in manual, would look mighty attractive.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:15 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
It is you.
****ty throttle response, don't think so
****ty sound, Not really
All round much faster....

https://vimeo.com/56965052
I don't want to go faster...just want to have fun. GT2 is a different beast as it shares GT3 chassis. I'm talking about the 991.2 turbo engine...I thought it was too subdued and refined.

Quick Reply: 2019 no more Porsche NA engines….