Buying car in Canada Process

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Buying car in Canada Process

Hi All,

I've been looking for a 911 turbo for a few months now and I finally have my eye on one. It is through a private party and I'm just trying to figure out what the process is going to be to bring the car back into the States.

Any of you guys aware of the process and if there are any associated fees?

As I noted above, the car was originally in the US, 2nd owner was in Canada and 3rd owner is in Canada.

Hoping to get some insight so I can price out what my final cost would be.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:36 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

If you can prove that the car is from the US you can bring it in for free. I think there may be some admin costs of a couple of hundred dollars. Having the EPA sticker on the back is helpful. I have helped a few people recently bring Porsches from Canada to the US. It is a very easy process. Even if the car was not from the US the duty is only 2.5%. For us to bring a US car to Canada is about 8% plus our sales taxes, plus the currency is majorly in your favor. Lots of used cars are going to the US now. It is much easier if you go to the border yourself as opposed to using a customs broker btw.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:49 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
If you can prove that the car is from the US you can bring it in for free. I think there may be some admin costs of a couple of hundred dollars. Having the EPA sticker on the back is helpful. I have helped a few people recently bring Porsches from Canada to the US. It is a very easy process. Even if the car was not from the US the duty is only 2.5%. For us to bring a US car to Canada is about 8% plus our sales taxes, plus the currency is majorly in your favor. Lots of used cars are going to the US now. It is much easier if you go to the border yourself as opposed to using a customs broker btw.
Thanks for the quick reply. My thought was that I'd end up buying the car and shipping it back through an enclosed carrier. My assumption is the shipping carrier would take care of everything needed to get the car in?
Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
Thanks for the quick reply. My thought was that I'd end up buying the car and shipping it back through an enclosed carrier. My assumption is the shipping carrier would take care of everything needed to get the car in?
They might handle it all or they/you would have to hire a brokerage firm to handle the customs paperwork. Call the transport company and ask.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:40 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Any experience using TFX International shipping company?
Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

yes they are very good, and offer a good deal on brokerage.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:53 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Just requested a free quote from them. Vancouver BC to San Jose California.

Guessing $2K for shipping
Old 01-29-2017, 11:25 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
Just requested a free quote from them. Vancouver BC to San Jose California.

Guessing $2K for shipping
Does this price include brokerage?

If so, that is a pretty good price. I got quotes from other companies for transport of a Toyota Sienna minivan to San Francisco for much more, and does not include brokerage, using open transport, and pickup in Blaine, WA, not Vancouver. Average quote was $3500 USD. It as cheaper to drive the car myself.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:55 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Lots of Articles recently on this subject.

As Dan said it is not that difficult.

Need to obtain original documentation that the car has a USA History.
Previous Title in a US State and Seller should have RIV Sticker and hopefully those documents in his or her posession.
Always cheaper if you drive it across the border or bring her across yourself.
Depending on the car, and in this instance a Turbo I would trailer orflat bed her to the border.

May save a few dollars, if u have the time to atleast meet shipper on US side and have them transport from there.

Rcent Posts for example by ilko. Suggest u pm him but many other posts if u do an Advanced Search
Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Just received the quote back.

$2,250 door to door, fully enclosed and insured service (up to $250,000.00 CDN with a zero deductible.)

It was what I was expecting in regards to cost and I wouldn't have the hassle with Customs, etc.

As some of you have suggested, there are a few options, but don't know how much cheaper it would be from that quote.

1. Wife and I are planning to fly up to Vancouver to see the car and take a little vacation while at it. If I end up buying the car, then I would need to decide where I go from there. Here are the fixed costs associated with just the car:

Flight: $720 (~$360 round trip * 2)
Hotel: $300 (~$250-$300 night hotel?)
PPI Cost: $300? (How much are PPI usually up there at a good shop?)
Total Price: $1,320

How much would it really save in bringing it to the border and have them bring it to my house from there? $500? I wouldn't expect it to be much, but perhaps I'll ask them.

It would be great to make a road trip out of it (18 hours to drive from Vancouver to San Jose) but few items:

1. The Markski tune is for 94 oct. California (91) / States I'd drive through likely doesn't have 94 so once I run out of the 94, I won't be able to "enjoy" the car in the open roads until she makes it home and I can get a 91 tune from Markski

2. Current owner said that him and his wife actually road tripped from Vancouver down the West coast and said how much of a joy it was, but at this time he wouldn't suggest it obviously due to the weather (this is my biggest concern)

So with the two points above, that is why I'm leaning towards the door-to-door shipping although I'd entertain driving it to the border (about a 60 minute drive) so long that the weather/roads were good. At least I could enjoy it there before it made it home.

Also, if I drove, I don't know how much money I'd actually save between the hotel/food/gas costs during the trip.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:30 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

If you want to drive it to the border you will need insurance and temporary plates too.

Just ship it door to door and be done with it.

The current owner drove the car along the west coast without issues with the existing tune?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:59 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Does this price include brokerage?

If so, that is a pretty good price. I got quotes from other companies for transport of a Toyota Sienna minivan to San Francisco for much more, and does not include brokerage, using open transport, and pickup in Blaine, WA, not Vancouver. Average quote was $3500 USD. It as cheaper to drive the car myself.
Originally Posted by Imo000
If you want to drive it to the border you will need insurance and temporary plates too.

Just ship it door to door and be done with it.

The current owner drove the car along the west coast without issues with the existing tune?
I'd have to ask him how he handled it. I now he has 3 tunes so perhaps he flashed the tune for the correct octane gas as he went on his trip.

Quick Reply: Buying car in Canada Process