Notices

Getting a VIN checked???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:13 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Getting a VIN checked???

Anyone here know how one might find the service history of a p-car using the VIN?

Not talking about accidents and other events - I am wanting to see if the car was serviced at a Porsche dealership and what was done such as warranty, regular service and other repairs...

??

Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 09:04 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm pretty sure the dealers have access to this info. Saw the data years ago at Pfaff when shopping there. Phil can provide the details if he chimes in or call John Hulley at Pfaff,
Old 01-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Only the dealers will have that, and I doubt they'll disclose it to anyone asking unless it's part of a PPI, due to confidentiality concerns.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have bought used cars and called dealerships that have done service (from service stamps, or other evidence) and 99% of the time they will let me know what was done. I don't ask for anything about the previous owners, I just use the angle that I want to keep it in good shape so I am trying to figure our when fluids etc were done last. I'm not sure if Porsche is so friendly though.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:46 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Once you own it they should provide the info without names on the invoice. Or just ask the seller where it was serviced, and to get you records.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 AM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know Jack doesn't need an answer to this anymore, but others might...

I agree with Turbodan, once you own it they will share a summary with you... but they will rarely even give you a sanitized invoice.

The other problem I encountered is that Porsche (in Canada at least) doesn't have a centralized service record system, so you may need to call a number of dealers to patch together a service history. I know my 3-owner car had been in Toronto, then Vancouver (1st owner moved), briefly in Halifax, and then Eastern Ontario... I've picked up some service history from all of those, which involved calling 6 or seven dealers.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

Folks I was able to get Downtown Porsche to provide me service records on a former 991 so long as I provided proof of current ownership. They don't print out the actual invoice for privacy reasons but can give you the internal Porsche service records that are line itemized with pricing and hours and also includes the comments given by the owner (complaints).
Old 03-26-2017, 01:04 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
Anyone here know how one might find the service history of a p-car using the VIN?

Not talking about accidents and other events - I am wanting to see if the car was serviced at a Porsche dealership and what was done such as warranty, regular service and other repairs...

??

Thanks
Do you have a service history on the car? If not I would strongly suggest you piece one together. Why? Resale. I bought a car not too long ago from a dealer and they had no service history with the car. I told them i wouldn't make an offer without one. The salesman got all the documentation together. Fortunately the car was serviced within the dealer network and those records were attainable. Yea I am ****. I figured if I ever wanted to sell in the future I would be covered in case I ran into another me. LOL. Another thing I would suggets is to change all the fluids in the car just to get a baseline going. That way going forward you know what was done and when. Document all of that.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by red996
Do you have a service history on the car? If not I would strongly suggest you piece one together. Why? Resale. I bought a car not too long ago from a dealer and they had no service history with the car. I told them i wouldn't make an offer without one. The salesman got all the documentation together. Fortunately the car was serviced within the dealer network and those records were attainable. Yea I am ****. I figured if I ever wanted to sell in the future I would be covered in case I ran into another me. LOL. Another thing I would suggets is to change all the fluids in the car just to get a baseline going. That way going forward you know what was done and when. Document all of that.
When selling a Porsche every buyer asks for service history and if it is missing will either walk or adjust price accordingly.

Quick Reply: Getting a VIN checked???