Notices

Sold a house in T.O. for 25% over asking

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:38 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Regardless, over $1000-2000/hr, or even more, of your hard earned money for the relatively little work they usually do is not justifiable in my oppinion. Why is it OK to take a percentage and not an hourly rate? How did this become OK and accaptabke by the public?

My comments are towards the realeste industry as a whole and not the individuals that work in it.
Commission based work, regardless of industry cannot be compared to people that get salaries or an hourly wage. People that earn commission work countless hours without compensation. They don't get a paycheck every Friday, have retirement pension, benefits etc. Average yearly income for a Realtor in Canada is $50k. The industry is very top heavy in regulation, with RECO, OREA, local real estate boards and brokerage owners all getting a piece of the pie.

However, a good agent will pay for his or her commission and more for a buyer or seller. Some home owners just look for the absolute cheapest agent they can find, but an agent that is willing to cut their own paycheck just to get your business probably won't be the best choice to fight for you in your deal.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:50 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

"The industry is very top heavy in regulation, with RECO, OREA, local real estate boards and brokerage owners all getting a piece of the pie. "
This is not true, they take less than 5%. And the real estate regulators are the biggest joke of any industry. Almost never do realtors get in trouble even when they have acted very badly.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
"The industry is very top heavy in regulation, with RECO, OREA, local real estate boards and brokerage owners all getting a piece of the pie. "
This is not true, they take less than 5%. And the real estate regulators are the biggest joke of any industry. Almost never do realtors get in trouble even when they have acted very badly.
Where are you getting 5% from? Brokerages alone get way more then that, usually around 25%. 5% for regulators I can see, and I agree their enforcement sucks. Many broker of records let their agents do what they want with no training or guidance. I'm all for hefty penalties for agents AND brokerages that violate. It would be a non issue where I work.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:52 AM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Where are you getting 5% from? Brokerages alone get way more then that, usually around 25%. 5% for regulators I can see, and I agree their enforcement sucks. Many broker of records let their agents do what they want with no training or guidance. I'm all for hefty penalties for agents AND brokerages that violate. It would be a non issue where I work.
The flat commission on a real estate deal is generally 5%. From that, Buying agent, selling agent and brokers get their cut. Others on this forum with more knowledge can elaborate.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Bleifuss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any real estate agent working at a brokerage (Remax, Royal LePage, etc) has a commission split agreement with said brokerage. This split varies based on whether the agent pays desk fees or what volume of sales they expect to do. Generally the split ends up being something like 85-15 or 90-10.

I think agents do make far too much for what they do. While I can agree that some go far and beyond, the majority are overpaid chaperones and paper pushers.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleifuss
While I can agree that some go far and beyond, the majority are overpaid chaperones and paper pushers.
that can be said re employees in almost any industry. there are always good and bad apples.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Bleifuss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
that can be said re employees in almost any industry. there are always good and bad apples.
Yes, but in other industries the bad ones don't make 6-figure salaries and eventually get fired.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Yes, but in other industries the bad ones don't make 6-figure salaries and eventually get fired.
why the hate?

I know of a couple real estate brokers and last I checked they bring home 95% of their commissions.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

i could argue that with what i have seen in both the public+private sector, but that a debate for another time

personally i have no issue re how much a successful realtor earns, i figure good for them!

Last edited by myw; 01-24-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:03 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I became a licensed RE agent in Ontario in 1977 and worked my butt off in the first few years to carve out a living. Along the way somebody offered me a steady job and that was the end of my career in RE. Luck plays a big role in the success of a RE agent but along with that goes a 24/7 call out. As far as price goes it really is a simple proposition, willing buyer/willing seller without duress. It is the ultimate in free market enterprise. As far as commissions, those are negotiable and recently when our house was sold the split between selling and listing agent commission was purposely calculated to entice salespeople to promote and show our property. As noted earlier I had experience in the business and understand the role of greed in that marketplace.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

I really struggle to see the value a real-estate agent provides, if data was public. If we had a better idea of what other houses sold for, houses could be bought and sold via websites (like cars) in an efficient manner. People could hire lawyers for the paperwork (if needed), or could consult with experts if they wanted.

In that hypothetical world, I can't imagine anyone volunteering to spend 5% to have someone help sell their house. For that reason, I think it's a dying industry, which is why Zoocasa and the like will be so important in the future.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:53 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the CBC marketplace "sting operation" indicated that 60% of the realtors were crooked as a snake's back.
more like 80% in BC, i would suggest.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The industry is ripe for disruption.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:19 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
I really struggle to see the value a real-estate agent provides, if data was public. If we had a better idea of what other houses sold for, houses could be bought and sold via websites (like cars) in an efficient manner. People could hire lawyers for the paperwork (if needed), or could consult with experts if they wanted.

In that hypothetical world, I can't imagine anyone volunteering to spend 5% to have someone help sell their house. For that reason, I think it's a dying industry, which is why Zoocasa and the like will be so important in the future.
Excellent point and that is the main problem. TREB has been doing battle - not sure if it has been resolved? - with the Competition Bureau for years accused of monopoly practices.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
. For that reason, I think it's a dying industry, which is why Zoocasa and the like will be so important in the future.
You do know that Zoocasa failed and was purchased by a traditional real estate broker, right?

Quick Reply: Sold a house in T.O. for 25% over asking