Notices

The evolving Cayenne dashboard...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Default The evolving Cayenne dashboard...

For the last couple of days I have been driving a 2017 Cayenne while my much beaten up and well-used 2008 Cayenne S was having its camshaft adjusters replaced. The current interior is a much nicer place to be, and will in turn be superseded by a variant of the new Panamera interior when the new generation Cayenne arrives in Q1 of 2018. I have been in the new Panamera and love the massive reduction in buttons and clean design of the dash..Pics below….(I have a Turbo S on the way in Spring of '18.)

My trusty old Cayenne today
Name:  IMG_3096_zpso8oxt3vk.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  1.77 MB

The current Cayenne
Name:  IMG_3080_zpsicvhteof.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  2.05 MB

New Panamera shows the dash design direction…thought Cayenne will be a bit more rugged looking

Name:  IMG_2275_zpshzjhzwno.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  1.89 MB
Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

i kinda like buttons
Old 01-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

The problem is that the increasing range of stuff that is in a car starts to require a set of buttons like a 747 cockpit, so I think the button era is coming to an end.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:42 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

too many buttons, prefer less buttons like the old cayenne and the latest panamera.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
The problem is that the increasing range of stuff that is in a car starts to require a set of buttons like a 747 cockpit, so I think the button era is coming to an end.
That's exactly right. I spend an inordinate amount of time in my training seminars explaining why touch screens, gesture and voice recognition and haptic surfaces are here to stay in cars. Consumers are asking for and expecting so many features in their vehicles that there is simply not enough real estate to put hard buttons for all the required functions.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:03 AM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although having the interior filled with buttons may be not a visual delight to some people, there are upsides. Once you learn where/what each button is, then it is very efficient to turn on/off the feature you want.

The problem with integrating all controls into a single computer controlled interface is that it can take much more time to access the feature(s) you want, especially when the car is moving (you are driving) and not stationary.

Simple things like climate control settings, radio on/off/volume/track selection, traction control/stability control settings, etc, are far easier to control with simple buttons and ***** than navigating through a computer interface which often makes you go through menus to get to the function you want, especially when you are actually driving.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer the buttons on my 08 Cayenne S over the newer design. Simple, to the point. I agree with Valkyrie that it can be frustrating drilling into the screens myriad of menus to execute a simple function. But first you need to figure it out. And that massive dedicated manual you need to read. Geez
Old 01-20-2017, 03:01 AM
ansonintoronto
Racer

How about we all stick to the task of "driving" and leave the buttons to our TV remote controls at home

This is the very reason why jumping into my '94 VW Corrado is such a treat. It's old and lacks any kind of creature comforts, but the tactile switch gear and the lack of electronic aids provides a very satisfying/engaging drive.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:24 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll I ask for is the volume **** to stay. Being in a car with a touch screen volume control is the worse.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:57 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

I had an '11 Cayenne and loved the buttons. I quickly learned where each button is without taking my eyes off the road. Air Suspension settings? Right here. Ventilated seat? Here it is. Need PASM in Sport Plus quickly? Click.
This isnt the case in my brother's new S class. I had it for a day and was constantly distracted by having to look at the screen while playing with the joystick, looking for a spotier setting for the drivetrain. I hated it.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:26 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ansonintoronto
How about we all stick to the task of "driving" and leave the buttons to our TV remote controls at home

This is the very reason why jumping into my '94 VW Corrado is such a treat. It's old and lacks any kind of creature comforts, but the tactile switch gear and the lack of electronic aids provides a very satisfying/engaging drive.
I agree. But in the age of smartphones and tablets, even the most "driver focused" cars are seeing screens take over.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:11 PM
HattyDamp
2nd Gear

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge The problem with integrating all controls into a single computer controlled interface is that it can take much more time to access the feature you want, especially when the car is moving and not stationary.Simple things like climate control settings, radio on/off/volume/track selection, traction control/stability control settings, etc, are far easier to control with simple buttons and ***** than navigating through a computer interface which often makes you go through menus to get to the function you want, especially when you are actually driving.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

I still can't figure out how to find a new radio station in my BMW.
There's a manual?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:44 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new designs are certainly more aesthetically elegant but using screens while driving is a pain! My Cayenne's ergo's and buttons are simple and logical.

Quick Reply: The evolving Cayenne dashboard...