Review/Warning - Big Wax Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Review/Warning - Big Wax Car Wash

Hi everyone,

I've recently gone through a very annoying incident with Big Wax car wash (across the street from Downtown Porsche).

Usually, I only wash the car myself or take it through touchless, track-free car washes. However, I was told this was the "Denny's of downtown", and they have a contract with Downtown Porsche where they do hundreds of cars per month. So, I thought, if it's good enough for downtown Porsche, it should be good enough for me.

Not the case...

The first two times I used the car wash, everything went smoothly. Service was reasonable. Quality was reasonable. On the third time, the car (996) came out with the rear windshield wiper bent so badly that it was on the paint between the side window and rear window. The wash had torqued it so badly, that it came down with enough force to scratch the paint and put a small dent there too...

After much back and forth with them (which was generally civil), they agreed to pay half of the bill to repair the paint/dent, and none of the wiper. Obviously, I had hoped they would do everything to bring the car back to original condition, but half of the money is better than going through small claims...

Anyways, do what you will with that information. If I had my car serviced at Downtown Porsche, I would ask them not to wash it...
Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

What was their excuse?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:40 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Downtown Porsche has their own washing bay at the back where they do the cars themselves. You can always see them there when you park at the back. Not sure what they use Big Wax for
Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

There was no justification. Just a bunch of comments meant to question my points. Mainly, "we do 300 Porsche's a month. And this has never happened."

I really don't know the inner workings of Downtown Porsche, but the guy showed me receipts for all this work from the dealership. So, yes, they do a significant amount of work with these guys.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

What were your points?

Last edited by Imo000; 01-10-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:13 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

when there guys are too busy they take it across the street. they did one of my pcars a year ago and it came out below standard clean and they screwed up my rear wiper as well. I never take my cars through those things with dirty recycled water and strong chemicals that remove wax.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 AM
altesporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm I live a block form there and use it all the time to get a salt off my car and never had an issue.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

By far the best carwash in the downtown is the hand wash in the basement of Manulife on Bloor Street. You see a lot of expensive cars done there. I get all of my cars done there regularly and never have a problem. They will give you a chit for the parking so you don't have to pay for that if you validate it upstairs.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:42 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronan
By far the best carwash in the downtown is the hand wash in the basement of Manulife on Bloor Street. You see a lot of expensive cars done there. I get all of my cars done there regularly and never have a problem. They will give you a chit for the parking so you don't have to pay for that if you validate it upstairs.
They have the same service in Brookfield parking and even have a mechanic on duty now. They will do everything from a wash to a full 3 stage correction. Have no idea if they are any good at paint work but they do use fresh water and hand wash
Old 01-10-2017, 01:13 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Imo000
What were your points?
I walked around the car before I took it through the wash, and the rear wiper was fine. I walk around the car everytime before I drive it, and when I return home. There is no other explanation than the car wash(or someone at the carwash) did the damage

Originally Posted by altesporsche
hmm I live a block form there and use it all the time to get a salt off my car and never had an issue.
From your pic, it looks like you don't have a rear wiper... That seems to be the problem at this wash.

Originally Posted by vern1
They have the same service in Brookfield parking and even have a mechanic on duty now. They will do everything from a wash to a full 3 stage correction. Have no idea if they are any good at paint work but they do use fresh water and hand wash
Interesting. I work there, so I'll check it out. I'm hoping it's high quality, but guessing it's pretty ****ty value. Do you have any pricing info?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:38 PM
vern1
Drifting

I think its around $20 for the hand wash. Lots of nice cars there as you can imagine, not that that speaks to quality of course

I park there everyday as well but haven't used it for a couple of years. They do an ok job as I recall. They rinse it, wash the whole car at once, then rinse.

I generally don't wash the car in the winter

Quick Reply: Review/Warning - Big Wax Car Wash