Notices

Options for internet TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Options for internet TV

I am wondering if you guys know what good options are out there to cancel current cable (Bell Fibe TV) and be able to watch TV shows?
I have an android box but it takes 5 mins or so to boot up a show sometimes.
I am tired of the $200 /month cable internet bill.
We have netflix.
Sling box tv looks like a good alternative but not avail in Canada.
I also have hd antennae inside but we often use pvr to watch at leisure and pause etc.
what are you guys using?
Old 12-28-2016, 04:32 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 470 Posts

I went with an OTA antenna on the roof, with a TIVO box as the PVR. Small one for TO and a larger unit pointed across the lake.

I'm in Burlington and get 30 stations, from Toronto and Buffalo. Picture quality is better than any cable or satellite. Tivo subscription is $15 per month. And we supplement with Netflix.

My wife wants and android box and we will probably get one so we can see more sports and Colombian networks, but picture quality is crap IMO.

I don't know of any other way to get major networks.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Dip987
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet might be to wait for the telcos in Canada to offer their skinny TV packages and then supplement them with specific channels you want (ie. Sports, HBO and etc). The CRTC has mandated that TV service providers offer a basic package for $25/month and allow for more a la carte TV channels to be selected without taking on larger bundle of channels. It's suppose to kick in March 1 2017, not sure if that has changed recently

The 2 other solutions would be to get an OTA antenna + add a subscription for things you really watch (ie. NBA league pass, HBO OTT service, Netflix, NFL Sunday pass and etc) and stream it on a cheap android box.

Or get a subscription to Sling TV or AT&T's DirecTV Now Service and subscribe for a VPN service to re-route your IP address. Although you would need a US address to get a subscription as the service is only allowed within the US
Old 12-28-2016, 05:36 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

wonder how skinny tv will add up with the good channels like FX, AMC, showtime and HBO. I pretty much can live with just those channels and stingray.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I have OTA antenna, Netflix and Amazon. TBH I rarely use my antenna anymore unless it's for the odd hockey game.

For F1, Premier League or such I use Acestream...I get the links off Reddit, usually always the same host/link. SkySports/BBC/Channel 4 Stream in stunning quality on my 65" tv, better than what Bell could offer at 200$ a month. Cost? I'll donate £20 to host for F1 a season
Old 12-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150$ a month only to find there was 'nothing on'
Apple TV and a digital antennae.
works for us for well over 12 years.
you'll be able to stream anything on the internet through airplay.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The Kodi boxes on Amazon are supposed to be good, and only $60 or so.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by skru_fase
The Kodi boxes on Amazon are supposed to be good, and only $60 or so.
We have run a Kodi for about a year. A buddy set it up for us and it is quite complex but well worth it. You might have trouble getting older, more obscure movies but for the most part it works fine. Helps to have a good router\modem.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

skinny tv is already on offer and has been a disaster. No real value.. both bell and rogers got "stern letters" from CRTC but they really cant tell them what to do ( or wont under current provincial liberals ) . Lots of reports of skinny TV but "just a few channels" puts you back at your previous bill.

I have Kodi on my desktop and its a pain but I think for me the answer might be OTA and buy a powerful laptop with HDMI out so I can play movies via kodi. But this of course requires internet broadband which is next on the ripoff list.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:53 PM
Dip987
Track Day

^ didn't realize the skinny tv stuff is already available. I am not surprised that the implementation of skinny tv isn't going well.

Kodi works well for any TV shows, movies or anything else on demand, but if the OP is looking for something to replace live channels I am not sure there's a great alternative out there. I don't think any of the add-ons on Kodi work well for live TV.

I have tried some of the P2P live channels as someone mentioned (acestreams and etc.) but haven't had great success with them (atleast not with using them through Kodi).
Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

My android box with kodi works well but takes a few minutes to find a good stream. I used and add on called phoenix and saw some live hockey in hd the other day. I am not sure if there are better add ons for finding better quality streams.
regarding broadband, tech savvy announced they are lowering prices in the new year
Old 12-29-2016, 07:50 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n
150$ a month only to find there was 'nothing on'
Apple TV and a digital antennae.
works for us for well over 12 years.
you'll be able to stream anything on the internet through airplay.
I tried to stream Amazon Prime video recently and it refused. Osmething about non-compliant connection. In fact it wouldnt even let me hook my Macbook Pro up directly via hdmi (and obviously the apple adaptor). Same message shut down video. I can only seem to watch on actual computer.

Also can you get Amazon on Apple TV?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:41 AM
initial
Instructor

For OTA HD PVR, I highly recommend the DVR+ ChannelMaster
http://www.channelmaster.com/DVR_Plu...cm-7500tb1.htm

It has a free onscreen guide (no subscription) for US and Canadian channels. You can get the 16G version if you already have a spare 2.5 inch external drive. They keep adding internet channels to it, but nothing fabulous, unless you like RT news.

For netflix and watching downloaded movies, I tried various things through the years and the best functioning device, hands down, no crashes, always works is the Roku Stick 2016 edition. It's inexpensive, around $50 at staples.ca . The remote is small, simple and just works.

For movies, I have a linux server next to my firewall and NAS box in the basement. The linux box runs PLEX media server. PMS (Plex media server) just picks everything up in the directories and adds the images and video/tv/music descriptions. It's flawless with no messing around. I use the Plex app on the Roku Stick to watch the downloaded content, or stream to a chromecast on another TV.

But why stop at your cable subscription. I transferred my home phone number to fongo.com . I pay $5 bucks a month, including caller id, voice mail, forwarding, twinning, free unlimited calls, etc... and still use the regular phones in the house. I have been using fongo for a couple of years now, with no service degradation.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:02 AM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For Kodi addons, Exodus is the latest one that seems to be pretty good.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Been using an Android box loaded with Kodi for a year. Yes you need to sometimes hunt for a working stream cut I don't care. Have unlimited internet with TekSavvy for $55 and is enough for what we need. 2 boxes and the odd laptop. Don't miss the BS advertising that cable TV littered with. Saves me 20 minutes from an hour and that a lot to me.

Quick Reply: Options for internet TV