Notices

Looking to Buy an Iconic Car - Help Me Out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 05:03 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Looking to Buy an Iconic Car - Help Me Out?

Hello All and Merry Christmas

Already own one iconic car in the form of my 2006 Corvette, and am wanting to add the 911 to the stable.

Seeking a summer cruiser (for a variety of reasons) which for me means two things - a Cabrio AND auto transmission.

I have a budget of approx. $50K CDN.

I live in the west end of Toronto - used to visit the Saturday morning coffee meet up when it was being held (many) years ago behind the old Chapters store on the Queensway. Looking to get educated on the 911 and what my budget might be good for?

Can I buy you a coffee and get some enlightenment?

Thanks

Jack
Old 12-23-2016, 07:36 PM
tim252
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Winnipeg so can't meet for coffee. Buy a Porsche 993 coupe with a manual. Might have to stretch a little.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

We have a Rennlist GTG every Saturday at Artisano's Bakery on Islington for the winter months, though I would wait till after the holidays. I generally turn up along with may of the posters here...usualy around 10:30 or 11am. There are a lot of helpful people there who would be happy to talk to you abolut options.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:26 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ronan
We have a Rennlist GTG every Saturday at Artisano's Bakery on Islington for the winter months, though I would wait till after the holidays. I generally turn up along with may of the posters here...usualy around 10:30 or 11am. There are a lot of helpful people there who would be happy to talk to you abolut options.
Hi Ronan - Tx for the reply. I live 5 minutes away at Dundas and Islington.

Looking forward to meeting you the next "normal" Saturday.

Have a happy and safe holiday.

Jack
Old 12-24-2016, 12:46 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
Hi Ronan - Tx for the reply. I live 5 minutes away at Dundas and Islington.

Looking forward to meeting you the next "normal" Saturday.

Have a happy and safe holiday.

Jack
Hi Jack,

Sounds like you are getting tired of cars that are unreliable and or overheat, or have you finally seen the light? .Don't worry I can't post your request on the CF I think I'm banned again...

Joking aside please come out and bring Mark with you, haven't seen him in ages.

Seasons Greetings

Eshel

Old 12-24-2016, 10:14 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Hey Eshel

Seeing some light, Yes LOL. Although a Cabrio Auto is not exactly hard-core P-Car - but that's what I like...
Old 12-24-2016, 10:51 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

You have to be carefull when using the word " iconic" personally I don't think I 2006 vette is "iconic" but if that is your impression of the word then you should be able to find something.
Of the modern era I would think the only " iconic' cars in these two marques may be the GT3RS or a Vr1. as these represent the best of the best and are a true icon of the brand in modern times.

for me the iconic car is without a doubt the VW bug. Without a doubt the worlds most recognizable car and arguably the worlds most successful.

Following that looking at the Porsche as a brand, the most iconic of the brand would actually be a great debate/ discussion on here. For me it would be an aircooled 911, it would be a tossup of the 911 Carrera ( 84-89) , the 73 RS or the famed 911 Turbo ( 930) .

I think if you can pick up a nice 911 Carrera in your budget you are getting pretty close to an iconic car.

So as I don my flame suit,i want to make it clear I am not saying the air cooled are the " best" cars as they have ben surpassed in just about every way . but I think they are tue motoring icons that will stand the test of time, and obviously have.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the first would be to decide, do you want a modern or classic 911? A $50k budget will get you into either but I think you need to narrow down what you're looking for. The 911 has been in production for half a century - there are a lot of different models out there, all with their own pros and cons.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:41 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Sure - It will mean different things to different people. For me, a car that millions feel a life-long passion for, have been in production for decades, and are attainable without having significant wealth.

Those are my measures. You could measure many more cars by this; the Corvette and 911 are the ones which interest me. (I think you meant ZR1?)

Cheers

Originally Posted by theiceman
You have to be carefull when using the word " iconic" personally I don't think I 2006 vette is "iconic" but if that is your impression of the word then you should be able to find something.
Of the modern era I would think the only " iconic' cars in these two marques may be the GT3RS or a Vr1. as these represent the best of the best and are a true icon of the brand in modern times.

for me the iconic car is without a doubt the VW bug. Without a doubt the worlds most recognizable car and arguably the worlds most successful.

Following that looking at the Porsche as a brand, the most iconic of the brand would actually be a great debate/ discussion on here. For me it would be an aircooled 911, it would be a tossup of the 911 Carrera ( 84-89) , the 73 RS or the famed 911 Turbo ( 930) .

I think if you can pick up a nice 911 Carrera in your budget you are getting pretty close to an iconic car.

So as I don my flame suit,i want to make it clear I am not saying the air cooled are the " best" cars as they have ben surpassed in just about every way . but I think they are tue motoring icons that will stand the test of time, and obviously have.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:45 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
I think the first would be to decide, do you want a modern or classic 911? A $50k budget will get you into either but I think you need to narrow down what you're looking for. The 911 has been in production for half a century - there are a lot of different models out there, all with their own pros and cons.
Very good point; I would lean towards modern. I have owned classic sports cars and am seeking something with modern features. I am targeting the "newest" and best condition car, which might put me in the 2006 and newer category??

That's why I am looking for advice here.

Tx
Old 12-24-2016, 12:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vetfever
Sure - It will mean different things to different people. For me, a car that millions feel a life-long passion for, have been in production for decades, and are attainable without having significant wealth.

Those are my measures. You could measure many more cars by this; the Corvette and 911 are the ones which interest me. (I think you meant ZR1?)

Cheers
right ZR1 ... the VR1 is a product my company makes
Old 12-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Christien
Race Car

I'm not too up to date on prices of the water cooled cars so others here will help more. I would say look for condition of car vs buying the newest that fits into your budget. I think 2006-2007 or 08 would be your sweet spot, a nice cherry 997. Though I think you're going to find much more limited selection trying to find an auto cabrio. Again, I could be wrong (my heart is in air-cooled) but I think the majority of the cars built around that era were manual coupes. You might try looking in the US. Yes, the exchange hurts, but there are SO many more cars there. I bought my 87 there last year, and am still importing from the US for clients looking for very specific cars.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:42 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
I'm not too up to date on prices of the water cooled cars so others here will help more. I would say look for condition of car vs buying the newest that fits into your budget. I think 2006-2007 or 08 would be your sweet spot, a nice cherry 997. Though I think you're going to find much more limited selection trying to find an auto cabrio. Again, I could be wrong (my heart is in air-cooled) but I think the majority of the cars built around that era were manual coupes. You might try looking in the US. Yes, the exchange hurts, but there are SO many more cars there. I bought my 87 there last year, and am still importing from the US for clients looking for very specific cars.
Tx Christien. There is a 2008 at World Fine Cares (west side of Kipling south of Evans). White with approx 77,xxx km, CDN car (speedo is in km), white with tan interior, auto, sports seats. Looks very clean, but not sure if the "price is right".
Old 12-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Christien
Race Car

Whatever you do, absolutely 100% insist on a full mechanical inspection at a shop of your choice (though make it a reputable shop that knows Porsches - there are lots in the GTA). It should run you between $250 and $400. Make sure they check for any evidence of previous accidents, along with everything else. If the seller won't allow it, don't buy the car, full stop.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I was looking at a Porsche there once. He wanted a deposit before he would let me do a test drive.
Never ever went back.

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy an Iconic Car - Help Me Out?