Notices

Shopping for Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Its not a 911 but our '08 Cayenne GTS is $1087 a year with the same coverage mentioned above via Canadian Bar Insurance Association (The Personal). If wifey chose to drive the '05 Boxster S year round it would be $1034 (I have one speeding ticket and her record is spotless)

Guess they figure lawyers are a safe bunch lol
Old 12-12-2016, 06:50 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

They figured that the same applies to engineers... although some time ago I proved them wrong (well, technically I didn't... I still maintain that there was absolutely nothing unsafe although the local constabulary and prosecution took a somewhat different view).

Now clean record, 47 y/o male... through the university group rate at TD MM the insurance on the C63 would be $2300. It's $1700 through the PEO group rate, also with TD MM (both exclusive of any additional multi-product discounts). If the savings are that high, law school would have paid for itself through the insurance premium savings alone!

And, TD MM won't go anywhere near a car that has been modified in any way. Intact appears to be more reasonable, both in terms of their premiums for the same coverage and their willingness to insure a modified vehicle.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:32 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

TD doesn't have an issue with modified cars...
But they don't like to hear 'added a supercharger' or similar..
Old 12-13-2016, 05:25 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

They apparently also don't like to hear "Formula 1 Medical Car Track Cooling Package" and/or "custom made forged wheels" (although I suspect it's the former, not the latter).
Old 12-14-2016, 04:10 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

hahaha ya that might do it...if it's in simpler terms on an appraisal it seem to be understood and OK'd
Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Got 4 quotes, combined auto and house Allstate was the lowest compared to TD, CAA, and Intact.

Some were high on auto but low on house, some the other way around, Allstate price dropped 15% with PMI group discount compared to regular full price, group discount also means monthly payment without interest.

CAA auto insurance was by far the lowest at $275/year less than Allstate, however its house insurance was the highest by far by a significant amount without any group discount.

Intact was the highest overall, 25% higher than Allstate.

I will be going with Allstate which I have been the last two years for lowest overall, no interest monthly payment and keeping the disappearing deductible streak going. Even though they pulled a fast one on me when I compared to coverage summary to find Allstate quoted $500 comprehensive deductible when it had been $200 last year and $300 the year before, will be having a chat with them as I still have over a month before renew.

Like iceman said, they are all going to screw you, just find the least painful one.......

Last edited by aviography; 01-24-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm dealing with CAA Insurance right now since my truck was stolen then found. Their customer service so far has been excellent. Not 15 minutes after starting the claim they had Enterprise contact me to arrange a rental car.
They're doing everything I ask regarding the repairs on the vehicle.
What I'm getting at it's not always price. The service you receive when needed is important as well.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:20 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good point Brian.

(Un?)fortunately I rarely had to deal with insurance claims, last time was 6 years ago for road debris damage to front bumper, Aviva was quick and easy to deal with, right away told me my good history means the deductible was waived, the only minor issue was Aviva insisted on aftermarket part which I was not happy with the fit & finish when the body shop manager brought it in for me to assess, end up paying $120 out of pocket to get OEM part, every other aspects of the claim was smooth.

Allstate was very helpful when I was shopping 2 years ago, did all the change paperwork for me quickly without any hiccup.

Another interesting part is my overall premium has gone done by $250 with Allstate compared to two years ago.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Good point Brian.

(Un?)fortunately I rarely had to deal with insurance claims, last time was 6 years ago for road debris damage to front bumper, Aviva was quick and easy to deal with, right away told me my good history means the deductible was waived, the only minor issue was Aviva insisted on aftermarket part which I was not happy with the fit & finish when the body shop manager brought it in for me to assess, end up paying $120 out of pocket to get OEM part, every other aspects of the claim was smooth.

Allstate was very helpful when I was shopping 2 years ago, did all the change paperwork for me quickly without any hiccup.

Another interesting part is my overall premium has gone done by $250 with Allstate compared to two years ago.
I forgot to add. When I told CAA I wanted the vehicle towed from 11 Division to my body shop in Markham they didn't flinch. No problem.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:30 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

SF about $100/month for an '01 Boxster S from mid/late March to end of October... no at fault claims in the past 5 yrs... one minor ticket ( 65 in 50) probably 2 yrs ago?

maybe $10-15/month in the winter when it's off the road, but I live in the sticks.

We have 3 cars, motorcycle and primary residence with the same agent.

Quick Reply: Shopping for Insurance