Notices

Great day @ Mosport

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:01 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Great day @ Mosport

As the title says.....superb weather, lots of beautiful, fast, well-driven cars and, apart from an early incident, a very clean day. Missed a PB by .16sec in the Mini but I think I can live with it!

Hats off to Gerry, Rick and their gang, as well as Bill at pit-out and all the marshals for keeping it light and safe.

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 10-06-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:35 AM
chicos
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry I am not sure if I met you during the day, but man you drove that Mini awesome! I was extremely impressed the way you set up for corners (just a lift for some and pretty much flat on so many) and the speed you were carrying through them. I was in a red Cayman GTS with street tires and I was in the red group, but I was watching everything you did. You outdrove everyone else I saw. Except on the back straight you need to go faster . Anyways I meant to find you and say wow great driving. I watched you and the fact you didn't even tap, or brush the brakes in many corners where everyone else was using them. I've driven low hp cars with massive grip levels, and have driven similarly, but not as well. Super smooth momentum driving, not HP driving, really great!!!

My guess on your throttle application was you were pretty much flat in 1 (meh slight lift to weigh front, but I saw no brake lights), light lift flat pretty much for 2 (adjusting for the hump), you had to use brakes in 3, 4 you were flat (tiny lift just before dh?), 5 abc well you need brakes for those, brush brakes or slight lift for 8 then back to flat, 9-10 yeah you needed brakes I wouldn't try those without them .

I'm driving the Drive Teq VW at Chump on Saturday. FWD car any extra pointers from you would be great!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 AM
ansonintoronto
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bunch of you must have stop in my neck of the woods (Brooklin Pub) last night as there was 1 Black GT3, 1 Lava Orange GT3 RS and a grey GT4.....nice!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:30 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by chicos
Sorry I am not sure if I met you during the day, but man you drove that Mini awesome! I was extremely impressed the way you set up for corners (just a lift for some and pretty much flat on so many) and the speed you were carrying through them. I was in a red Cayman GTS with street tires and I was in the red group, but I was watching everything you did. You outdrove everyone else I saw. Except on the back straight you need to go faster . Anyways I meant to find you and say wow great driving. I watched you and the fact you didn't even tap, or brush the brakes in many corners where everyone else was using them. I've driven low hp cars with massive grip levels, and have driven similarly, but not as well. Super smooth momentum driving, not HP driving, really great!!!

My guess on your throttle application was you were pretty much flat in 1 (meh slight lift to weigh front, but I saw no brake lights), light lift flat pretty much for 2 (adjusting for the hump), you had to use brakes in 3, 4 you were flat (tiny lift just before dh?), 5 abc well you need brakes for those, brush brakes or slight lift for 8 then back to flat, 9-10 yeah you needed brakes I wouldn't try those without them .

I'm driving the Drive Teq VW at Chump on Saturday. FWD car any extra pointers from you would be great!
Thanks for the kind words; very much appreciated.....I'm on streets as well (B'stone RE71Rs) and just returned from dropping 3 of the 4 off to flip/replace! For a street tire they're amazing but they won't last long with stock suspension settings (i.e little/no camber like me); you have to move them around the car to save them.

Pretty much spot-on with your assessment--throttle to rev limiter before T1, then lift to upshift; brush of brake before 2 then flat, flat from 3's exit until 5's entry. Yeah, the back straight; my right leg is sore from trying to get more power than my 121 horses will give! Small lift for 8 then flat (my favorite turn on any track!), trail through 9 and no brake for 10. It's neat to say "no brakes" but you don't want to be coasting in lieu of braking; it unsettles the car...as for FWD, I'd say just trail-brake into the turn wherever possible, then get off them and back to throttle. When the car begins to understeer in the turn, use part-throttle or on/off throttle to rotate--stay off the brakes as much as possible. Your Chumper (if it's the Cereal Killa #666), like my car, is hp-challenged so, as the saying goes, "more gas, less brake".

Have fun! I'm sure Gerry and Rick will keep you entertained ....

Gary

Quick Reply: Great day @ Mosport