Notices

Shipping parts from the US

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 04:03 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Shipping parts from the US

I am having some AWE cats shipped from CA (they wont ship to my bro in CA as the cats are illegal there!)

I seem to recall USPS was the preferred shipper but I cant find the link. Can someone confirm they are the best way to go. I think it was UPS or FedEx that charges outrageous brokerage fees.

Would it make any difference if I shipped to my mechanics shop vs to me personally from a tax or duty perspective (ie personal vs commercial shipping?)?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2016, 04:19 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a set of coilovers shipped from CA earlier this year. USPS is the way to go for cost savings. My understanding though is that they are the slowest of the 3 for shipping times and their online tracker isn't the most accurate.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
I had a set of coilovers shipped from CA earlier this year. USPS is the way to go for cost savings. My understanding though is that they are the slowest of the 3 for shipping times and their online tracker isn't the most accurate.
+1 USPS Rick. Slow but no brokerage fee, cheap, delivered to your door - even in The Beach!...and if under $250 maybe no HST. If you're not around and UPS misses you, you'll have to go to Vaughn for the closest pick-up. Downside is Canada Post is an equal op employer and the delivery lady had to call for assistance to get PSS10 box up to my porch.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
+2, I always ask sellers to ship via USPS to save on brokerage fees. Fedex is actually reasonable as well but USPS is by far the least expensive... but also slowest usually.

In my experience UPS has by far the highest brokerage fees, avoid at all costs.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 PM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks. Unfortunately not even close to being under $250

The guy asked me to send him a shipping label so they can "drop ship" it. I had a quick look at USPS and expect this will be the next challenge. I enter my address and it asks for a domestic address? Then I enter a shipping date cause they ask for it and it wont accept any of the dates they themselves offer

Surely it cant be this complicated!!
Old 08-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

That is odd they are asking for a shipping label, assume that means you are covering the shipping cost? If so you'll likely need to use Fedex... that said nothing wrong with asking the seller to mark down the value on the item to something more reasonable for tax/duty purposes.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:07 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

I think the shipper has to do the USPS paperwork and they're all lazy.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

I was under the impression that USPS Ground was the only one that didn't do brokerage/duties. If you used expedited USPS options, you'd get dinged.

Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:21 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vise
That is odd they are asking for a shipping label, assume that means you are covering the shipping cost? If so you'll likely need to use Fedex... that said nothing wrong with asking the seller to mark down the value on the item to something more reasonable for tax/duty purposes.
Yes I am paying for shipping. Haven't asked about marking it down yet

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I think the shipper has to do the USPS paperwork and they're all lazy.
It seems that way. But going to ask if he can arrange it. Thanks Ronnie
Old 08-25-2016, 06:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Vern did you get your car back? if so how is it?
you may also consider shipping to CBI in Niagara falls and save shipping and maybe duty.
I hope it all works out fine.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Vern did you get your car back? if so how is it?
you may also consider shipping to CBI in Niagara falls and save shipping and maybe duty.
I hope it all works out fine.
Thanks Danny but no car yet. LN tells me the block should be at the mechanics within a week. So will still need reassembly etc

Am just gathering some after market parts that are being added. Have got the gt3 Tb, plenum, x51 headers and cats.

And Keltech had no issues with me ordering some other parts like the water pump, AOS, etc. In fact he gave me a list since I have a good connection in the US that can get me parts at cost

I am hoping to have it back around the ends of Sept - god and mechanic willing!!

Rick

Quick Reply: Shipping parts from the US