Notices

Carproof shows damage incident with "no details"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
My 2003 C4s had sustained front end damage around 12k back in 2009. It is 100% fixed correctly and straight as an arrow. I have had it on my own hoist many times and it was perfectly repaired. No airbag deployment was noted.

The car was priced accordingly and I was able to snag a car with all maintenance records since new for around 10k less than the next closest one. I would do it all over again in a heart beat as I got a perfect car for an even better price.
Sounds great. The tricky thing in this case is that there are no details, so it's not possible to inspect the repair, unless something is caught in the general inspection. It's likely nothing, but could be anything.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned you got it for 10k less than the next best. How far below asking was that? Was this from a Porsche dealer?
Old 07-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Sounds great. The tricky thing in this case is that there are no details, so it's not possible to inspect the repair, unless something is caught in the general inspection. It's likely nothing, but could be anything.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned you got it for 10k less than the next best. How far below asking was that? Was this from a Porsche dealer?
Private owner on mine. He was asking 37, 500 I ended up buying it for 27,500. On the PPI it had a leaking coolant tank which I pointed out during my visual inspection at his home. I used that and the accident to leverage the price. He was actually such a nice guy he paid to have the tank replaced while it was under PPI. I was planning to change it myself.

So in the end his final bill on the car was like $1200. So he really ended up with something like 26,300 in his hand. I figure I got a really good steal on this car. That's also canadian funds, it does get better as well. I had a cherry C6 vette that only had 25k on it since new. My GM dealer wanted it BAD. So I made a deal I would trade the car contingent on when I found a replacement they would buy the car for me to save me on the taxes. Which they did. So in the end I paid exactly 27,500 for the car.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Turns out that although the dealer I dealt with didn't know the story, his manager did. The previous owner had spoken to insurance about fixing a bumper scuff, but decided not to, because the damage wasn't too noticeable. The dealer replaced the bumper cover and one fog light when they got it in; total bill < $2k. So unless he's outright lying, which seems unlikely, the car should be fine. Could still be a minor issue on resale, but should be ok with the explanation and documentation, yes?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:46 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Turns out that although the dealer I dealt with didn't know the story, his manager did. The previous owner had spoken to insurance about fixing a bumper scuff, but decided not to, because the damage wasn't too noticeable. The dealer replaced the bumper cover and one fog light when they got it in; total bill < $2k. So unless he's outright lying, which seems unlikely, the car should be fine. Could still be a minor issue on resale, but should be ok with the explanation and documentation, yes?
Buy it!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:26 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Welp, it's all moot. Before I could arrange to get it inspected, car sold for asking price, unconditional. The crazy thing is, in BC the PST jumps from 7% to 10% between 55k and 57k in asking price. So whoever the buyer was, if he'd negotiated them down just 2k, he could have saved $4000. Presumably this is one of the same individuals participating in the Vancouver real estate market.

Ah well, I'm in no rush.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Welp, it's all moot. Before I could arrange to get it inspected, car sold for asking price, unconditional. The crazy thing is, in BC the PST jumps from 7% to 10% between 55k and 57k in asking price. So whoever the buyer was, if he'd negotiated them down just 2k, he could have saved $4000. Presumably this is one of the same individuals participating in the Vancouver real estate market.

Ah well, I'm in no rush.
This what happens when you snooze!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
Private owner on mine. He was asking 37, 500 I ended up buying it for 27,500. On the PPI it had a leaking coolant tank which I pointed out during my visual inspection at his home. I used that and the accident to leverage the price. He was actually such a nice guy he paid to have the tank replaced while it was under PPI. I was planning to change it myself.

So in the end his final bill on the car was like $1200. So he really ended up with something like 26,300 in his hand. I figure I got a really good steal on this car. That's also canadian funds, it does get better as well. I had a cherry C6 vette that only had 25k on it since new. My GM dealer wanted it BAD. So I made a deal I would trade the car contingent on when I found a replacement they would buy the car for me to save me on the taxes. Which they did. So in the end I paid exactly 27,500 for the car.
How does this work exactly, is this legal?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Quick Reply: Carproof shows damage incident with "no details"