Notices

3rd party claims in Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:39 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 3rd party claims in Ontario

Anyone have a 3rd party claim against them in Toronto? What exactly happens?

Summer 2012

"someone" I know was in a MVC on the 401E near Milton... 5 Car chain reaction. The other guy was charged. Basically, traffic was going at a good clip on a clear, dry sunny afternoon (sun was behind us) and then the 401 comes to a standstill. My friend was in the Left lane and slows down in time... Driver behind my friend didn't slow down or stop in time, veers into the L hand median to try to avoid the 1st hit, bounces off the median, and clips my friend in the front L fender and then goes into an airborn roll hitting at least 3 other vehicles ahead of him before coming to a rest in the R hand shoulder...

The passenger in the airborne vehicle is suing the driver and both look to be naming my friend in a 3rd party claim... The driver of the airborne vehicle was charged by police in the accident. Papers were served December 2015

Thinking about getting a cheap dashcam for my vehicles as I drive a lot. 40,000+ km /yr.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

In a proper world the guy who failed to notice stopped traffic ahead such that he became airborne should never be allowed to drive again and should have to pay for all repairs, including any to the road surface or median.

Reality, however, is a world run by lawyers, and in a case like this, everyone sues everyone else in the hopes of either deflecting blame or cashing in. No advice for your friend, but a dashcam might not be a bad idea if you can see yourself in this situation in the future.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

I drive ~5000km/yr and have a dashcam.

When you consider how much you shell out for insurance (and presumably your vehicles), what's $200 on a decent cam to protect yourself in situations such as this (oh, and insurance fraud)?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

For some reason my previous post is not showing in its entirety, even after an edit.

Edit: working now!

Last edited by Biscuits704; 12-09-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

What does the MVC report say about the description of the collision (the diagram)? This is a civil suit right? As said above, they are trying to cash in because anyone can sue anyone but that doesn't mean they will win. If the MVCR is detailed enough to describe what happened then, all you need to do is testify in court what happened. Might want to get a lawyer so you don't miss or do something that helps the other driver/passanger. Did they hire a "traffic expert" that produced a report that claims you might be at fault?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Yeah, there is a discoveries meeting sometime in the future, my insurance will provide a lawyer. Claims guy is not worried. I had a written statement to the cop. Will see if they can dig it up.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:18 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Imo000 summed it up nicely. The passenger in the airborne vehicle who was presumably injured in the accident is suing anyone and anything that contributed to their injury, without taking fault into account. In other words, their claim against your friend - if things occured exactly as you stated - has an equal chance of success as a claim against the other three cars they hit in the process or the construction company that made the hard concrete median. If it ever gets past the discovery stage for your friend - which is unlikely - he should get his own lawyer just in case (the one his insurance company will provide is also going to take his side, but I wouldn't count on them having your frend's best interest in mind - only their own), and file a counter claim against the parties that are suing him for his own legal fees and time.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:48 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Just an update.... The matter was dropped in August 2016, never made it to discovery process.

My friend's story collaborated almost word for word with the airborne passenger's story, except his was more disorientating as he went rightside up, upside down, rightside up, upsidedown, back to finally rightside up.

My friend thanks you....
Old 10-04-2016, 01:06 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Dashcam

Originally Posted by petee_c
Just an update.... The matter was dropped in August 2016, never made it to discovery process.

My friend's story collaborated almost word for word with the airborne passenger's story, except his was more disorientating as he went rightside up, upside down, rightside up, upsidedown, back to finally rightside up.

My friend thanks you....
I work in this area, and I have a dashcam installed in all my cars.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

I would think I would definitely want one in the rear even moreso than the front .. although the backing into someone and then claiming they were run into is becoming an all too popular scam.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:38 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Glad to hear that reason prevailed and things worked out the way they should have.

Quick Reply: 3rd party claims in Ontario