Notices

Porsche Cayenne /Audi Q7/VW Toureg Winter Tire review.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
I thought black, round and holds air were the 3 most important parts of tire technology.....

For winter tires - tread design and siping.

I thought blizzaks were still sacrificing wear for grip, but I haven't done any reading on them....
Peter
Agree on all points but they have come a long way.
However I have Chinese Winter Claw on my Passat and Jetta for many years now and I swear by them
Old 11-19-2015, 02:46 AM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one season on 255/50R19 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires,

9/10 comfort and noise
8/10 grip on ice /snow
8/10 wear (so far not many miles)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:00 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Conti Barum Polaris 3 in 255/55r18.

I purchased these tires from Zookie at Simply in November 2013. At the time they were $680 plus tax installed. Looks like they've gone up $20 when accounting for the tire fee. We had them on our 2011 Q7 TDI which is a crazy heavy vehicle that seems to eat tires, and snack on front suspension parts.

We ran these tires for 2 seasons and 28,000 km so far. I just put them on this past weekend for the 3rd season.

I am pretty sure they won't last all winter given the amount of tread remaining.

During the 1st 2 winters, these tires were comfortable, low noise, and decent grip. We didn't get in any fender benders or get stuck anywhere.

Didn't slide off the road, or into any curbs, or blow any stop signs or red lights, however I do remember a couple times driving in town where I had the pucker moment skidding to a stop and hitting some black ice and the abs kicked on.

I'd grade them:

9/10 comfort and noise,
7/10 grip on ice /snow.
7/10 wear.

I figure I'll be replacing them within the next 8000 km depending on how bad our weather gets this year. I'm open to suggestions for budget winter tires for heavy vehicles... I suppose it might be difficult to get a cheap tire that gets 8+ grade on winter grip and noise.....

Peter

November 2016.

The Barum Polaris 3 tires from Simply Tire lasted 3 seasons and approximately 40,000km of winter driving on the q7.

40,000km wear from tires that only cost $768 is pretty good for a vehicle weighing 5500-6000lbs.

All 4 tires showed even wear, and have between 5+ to 6+/32" of wear, with one tire having a spot with 4/32" wear in the center. I may list them on Kijiji for $60 and see if anyone needs them as fair weather tires....

I am going to order some Minerva or Imperial tires in the 255/55r18 size to replace them, and get them shipped to my door and mounted locally before our trip to Jay Peak Vermont for New Years.

Peter
Old 12-08-2016, 12:15 AM
Radio996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some data and comparison between the Michelin Xice2 and the Pirelli Winter Ice FR winter tire

Mercedes ML Diesel. Winter tires Michelin Xice 2: down sized them to 235/65R17 versus the 19" summers for better snow traction. Same outside diameter.
-Installed Winter 2012-13.
-Used 4 winters.
-Total KM: 42K over 4 winters in Montreal. (removed in the summer)
-Tread when new: 11/32 Tread today: 7.5/32 even.

Review: Over past 4 Montreal winters.
Summary of the Michelin Xice2: Impressed with the low noise, ice and snow traction. Even the deeper snow. Even going over that accumulated snow/slush in between lanes. (But this SUV is heavy, which helps).
Just started 5th winter: Although the tread is still "OK" at 7.5/32, the tire feels much more slippery on snow now. The compound likely lost it's features over the years.

Purchased yesterday the Pirelli Winter Ice FR. Just because it was mentioned here, and I was curious.
Initial review, relative to the Michelin when they were new:
-Noise: As good. Impressive for winter tires.
-Traction on snow: No noticeable difference (Good. New versus new tires)
-Traction on ice. Not tested. No decent ice yet to test.
-The tie breaker: Responsiveness to quick steering input at highway speed, on dry: Pirellis are better than the Michelin. Likely due to the slightly stiffer sidewalls. Although I expected the Pirelli's to feel less responsive given the taller tread, relative to the current 7/32 Michelin - the Pirelli's are actually more responsive. A better highway tire on dry roads.
-Weight: Not that it matter much on these heavy SUVs, and heavy wheels, but might as well: The Pirelli is lighter. (Back to back hand lifting comparison. No scale was available).
-Life span: Time will tell.

Summary: I would buy the Michelin again. But happy with the initial impressions on the Pirelli. And as a bonus, they were $40 less expensive, each.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:10 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Minerva Eco Stud SUV 255/55r18 XL - initial impressions on a 2011 q7 TDI dirty diesel

We've had these tires on for about a month now, with about 2500-3000km of mixed driving. Good grip on snow and hard pack.. We've had a couple 100km trip on rural roads when the country school buses were cancelled (6-10" of fresh snow). My daughter had a tournament in St Mary's during the 1st big snow storm of the year... My wife used them to get home on closed roads when the police closed the roads coming out of Elmira a few weeks back.

No issues to report.... . quiet at highway speeds, decent ride quality, no blown stop signs, haven't gotten stuck or ditched vehicle. I did hit a patch of black ice and skidded about 10' further than I thought I should, but still was able to make the turn....

Our 1600km round trip to Jay Peak was uneventful, 401/407 was dry on the way down, and coming back there were a couple of greasy spots but didn't see anyone in the ditch.

I got them delivered, installed and balanced for under $600cdn...

I put my old Barum Polaris Tires on Kijiji for $50 and sold them for asking price with 5-6/32" tread left.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne /Audi Q7/VW Toureg Winter Tire review.