Notices

Gundo Hack Cost? GTA

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Gundo Hack Cost? GTA

For those of you that had your OEM mufflers altered with a method similar to the Gundo Hack... where did you get it done and how much did it cost?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I see this on kijiji all the time. No affiliation, never had it done.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-pa...ationFlag=true
Old 11-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

A buddy of mine had it done earlier this year in Kitchener at a stainless steel muffler shop. Cost his $250. Littleon the steep side I think. But they did an excellent job. He used pictures off RL.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
I see this on kijiji all the time. No affiliation, never had it done.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-pa...ationFlag=true
$400 each?!! That's BS.

I had mine done at Tech Tune in Etobicoke (220-Norseman). Can't recall how much but it was around $200-250 (might have been even lower - I pay cash for this type of stuff). He does both types - the Gundo and the extra pipe mod. The cross pipe that I had, he calls aggressive. Yup. I call it LOUD. They have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/techtune.exhaust
Old 11-14-2015, 12:50 AM
Crester
Pro

These prices people are posting are in line with what I was expecting. EU Autowerks is asking $1,250 + tax! I'm trying to figure out how they are asking this price. I know they do good work in general... but how are they charging so much more than the other guys? Just trying to figure this out.

I have no problem spending money... just need to understand why...
Old 11-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Dinicod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tech Tune did mine. I brought the cans in, so no re and re. I THINK they charged me $120? Not much more than that if I'm wrong. I think it was just over $300 if they did the re and re on the car itself.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Last one I did I charged 150$ a side including removing the mufflers off the car.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
These prices people are posting are in line with what I was expecting. EU Autowerks is asking $1,250 + tax! I'm trying to figure out how they are asking this price. I know they do good work in general... but how are they charging so much more than the other guys? Just trying to figure this out.

It's not rocket science - they take both cans down, work on them on a bench and then remount. The price I quoted was for *both* cans. Anyone charging these insane prices (like EU) was because they saw you coming and they outsource to a local muffler shop anyway and charge a mark up for taking them out and putting them back on. Its your money but Tech Tune has done a lot of 996/997's - he had just finished with one 997 when I got there and a guy with his 996 was coming done from Barrie after me. Its a rough looking place but they came highly recommended and I've had no issues. Your most important decision is which type of mod you want as one is a moderate upgrade (Gundo) in sound (sort of like the factory PSE option with the button you push that opens up the flap) and the other is pretty much CUP car sound (Fister) if you go WFO. Your gas petal really does become a 'loud' pedal but is easily moderated by RPM.

They can actually do both mod's (Gundo and Fister D) but he recommended against that as he said he had a client say it killed his mid range so he dissuades that mod as redundant. The larger the pipe - say the 2" or larger - the louder the sound.

If you search on Rennlist for these hacks, you'll find US owners don't pay more then $300 tops - most a lot lower.

Gundo below:

Fister below (what I got done):

Both mod's:

Here's mine after mods. FYI: I never rev'd it over 3 grand here - so picture it at 6... My dog wasn't a fan.

Last edited by Torontoworker; 11-14-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:19 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester

Thats a rip, look else where.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:31 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Thats a rip, look else where.
Typical. EU prices have skyrocketed over the last couple of years to the point they're just not competitive any more.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:04 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tech tune did mine, I think around 300 all in.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Dinicod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mufflers have been "fistered". One of them now makes a fluttering noise so I'm guessing an internal baffle is done. Any guesses as to what sound and performance issues I might have if I gutted my "fistered" mufflers?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
It's not rocket science - they take both cans down, work on them on a bench and then remount. The price I quoted was for *both* cans. Anyone charging these insane prices (like EU) was because they saw you coming and they outsource to a local muffler shop anyway and charge a mark up for taking them out and putting them back on. Its your money but Tech Tune has done a lot of 996/997's - he had just finished with one 997 when I got there and a guy with his 996 was coming done from Barrie after me. Its a rough looking place but they came highly recommended and I've had no issues. Your most important decision is which type of mod you want as one is a moderate upgrade (Gundo) in sound (sort of like the factory PSE option with the button you push that opens up the flap) and the other is pretty much CUP car sound (Fister) if you go WFO. Your gas petal really does become a 'loud' pedal but is easily moderated by RPM.

They can actually do both mod's (Gundo and Fister D) but he recommended against that as he said he had a client say it killed his mid range so he dissuades that mod as redundant. The larger the pipe - say the 2" or larger - the louder the sound.

If you search on Rennlist for these hacks, you'll find US owners don't pay more then $300 tops - most a lot lower.

Gundo below:

Fister below (what I got done):

Both mod's:

Which method did you do on your exhaust? Did you get pipe welded directly between the incoming and outgoing pipes? Or did you get the third port opened up and add a new pipe there?

Which one are you saying kills mid range power?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Crester
Pro

So Tech Tune says $320 to do the job including removal and reinstall. Seeing how a lot of people seem to have gone there... I guess they are a good choice. Price is the same regardless of which modification method you choose to do.

Just wondering now if I should go directly between the in and out pipes or open the third unused port on the muffler...???
Old 11-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

do both, Tech tune did mine as well. Sounds awesome especially with an xpipe.

Quick Reply: Gundo Hack Cost? GTA