Notices

Depreciation numbers for 996tt and 997 for Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:26 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by breakfast
I'm not sure I fully agree with that. Cost alone is no indicator of being well taken care of. There are quite a few low mileage garage queens which will ha e had the bare minimum done in maintenance. They will look great and command top dollar but the minute you start to use it frequently (with cars like that ) the minute issues start to reveal themselves.

Old rubber and plastic is old rubber and plastic regardless of use and mileage. It still breaks down just sitting there.

Imo I'd rather have a car with some miles on it/that got used. It will cost a bit less but the chances are higher it was actually taken care of and has had key areas addressed in maintenance.

Unless you are looking for a garage queen yourself. Then buy the most expensive ,low mileage one you can find.

996tt prices seem to have stabilized /gone up just a tiny bit. Of course exceptions exist on either end of the scale.
You are buying a used german sports car so one should expect maintenance will be needed regardless of price,mileage and history.
996tt are great cars. I'd buy it to drive and not worry about future appreciation. NOBODY can predict that kind of thing.

Regarding garage queens, maintenance is easy to check through records. My experience is that garage queens are generally better/well cared for. Plastic and rubber, not exposed to oil/engine temps does not depreciate if exposure to sun is kept to a minimum. Have a look at my Z sometime. 40 year old rubber and plastic bits are pretty much mint. UV is the enemy, not time. The market values low mileage for a reason.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:24 PM
dualexhaust
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
according to Jake Ruby there are more than 30 known causes of catastrophic failure on the m96/97 engines....
31 bada-bing!
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-failure.html

(edit) oh, that isn't in canada...not sure if that 30 count was canada specific but I'm guessing it was?
Old 05-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
according to Jake Ruby there are more than 30 known causes of catastrophic failure on the m96/97 engines....
Nope, there's only 28 modes of failure.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:15 PM
dualexhaust
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't laugh, but I ended up picking up a nice, clean, 1-owner g35 sport coupe 6sp yesterday.
After driving it, I realized it is more than enough car for me considering I am coming from a automatic Honda

So the ideal plan would be to drive this for a bit till the 2010's coming within striking distance...
Old 06-04-2015, 11:41 AM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good plan overall. It will be good for you to have an "in between " rwd car beforehand.
Take it to the track !
Old 06-04-2015, 11:44 AM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Regarding garage queens, maintenance is easy to check through records. My experience is that garage queens are generally better/well cared for. Plastic and rubber, not exposed to oil/engine temps does not depreciate if exposure to sun is kept to a minimum. Have a look at my Z sometime. 40 year old rubber and plastic bits are pretty much mint. UV is the enemy, not time. The market values low mileage for a reason.
40 yr old plastic and rubber are in most cases much more robust than the crap we have seen in most modern cars.
In no way shape or form would I expect low mileage 996 (important)plastics and rubber to hold up over time. And in my experience they generally don't. Even if stored properly and sparsely used.
This isn't just a porsche thing. It's definitely a german car thing ...followed by others.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:36 PM
pure456
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by breakfast
40 yr old plastic and rubber are in most cases much more robust than the crap we have seen in most modern cars.
In no way shape or form would I expect low mileage 996 (important)plastics and rubber to hold up over time. And in my experience they generally don't. Even if stored properly and sparsely used.
This isn't just a porsche thing. It's definitely a german car thing ...followed by others.
Totally agree with the bolded part. I think a part of it is due to modern precision, both in manufacturing and accounting. In the old days they knew it needed to be X mm thick but the tolerances were such that to make sure the hoses were x thick they had to aim for X+Y thickness. Now they can actually make it X thick and the accountants step in and say "Oh it needs to be X thick? We can save $0.50 a hose if it's X-Y thick and it will still make it through the warranty period!"

There was something about the plastics they used in the late 90's/early 2000's too. In an attempt to be more environmentally friendly they tried making more biodegradable plastic. I know Mercedes was particularly susceptible, the plastic would basically disintegrate over time.

Quick Reply: Depreciation numbers for 996tt and 997 for Canada