Advice needed: Out of Province Private Sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Advice needed: Out of Province Private Sale

Hi guys,

I am new to posting in these forums, but have been doing some research here for a while. Also, I realize there are a few threads that are close to this topic, but so far, nothing addresses my specific issues.

I am contemplating buying a private sale vehicle from BC (996 Turbo ), and I live in Ontario. To me, it would unfold as follows:

1) typical sale of a car - sign a buyer's agreement, transfer cash, get a PPI, etc.
2) get some sort of transport/30 day registration from ICBC (?)
3) put the car on transport
4) pick up car when it gets to Ontario
5) Emissions test + Safety (can't remember what the second test is called)
6) Go to MTO, pay HST, receive plates

However, I have a few concerns:
1) when I go get the temporary registration in BC, will they try to charge me sales tax? The internet seems quite divided on this. A dealer seems to charge GST, but not PST if you prove you are out of province. However, on a Private sale where I don't plan on plating in BC, I'm not sure if I pay anything.
2) Do they even have a temporary registration?
3) If there are no temporary registrations in BC, what legitimate ways can I get the relevant tests done, in order to plate the car? Can I get the emissions and safety checks done in BC before even buying the car?

Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:56 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Suggestion: call ICBC and get the facts straight from the source -- http://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/conta...s/default.aspx
Old 03-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeshp
Suggestion: call ICBC and get the facts straight from the source -- http://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/conta...s/default.aspx
Thank you.

For any future people looking for these answers, you pay sales tax in BC when registering the vehicle. Therefore, as long as there is no plan to register the vehicle in BC, no sales tax will be paid.

You can get an "in-transit" permit, which allows you to drive the vehicle from point A to point B, in order to get it home. In order to get one of these from the ICBC, you need to provide the vehicle's old registration, personal identification (out of province driver's license is sufficient) and the Bill of Sale.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:21 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Thank you.

For any future people looking for these answers, you pay sales tax in BC when registering the vehicle. Therefore, as long as there is no plan to register the vehicle in BC, no sales tax will be paid.

You can get an "in-transit" permit, which allows you to drive the vehicle from point A to point B, in order to get it home. In order to get one of these from the ICBC, you need to provide the vehicle's old registration, personal identification (out of province driver's license is sufficient) and the Bill of Sale.
Easy-peasy!! Thanks for posting your findings!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

if you are buying the car private sale in B.C then you do not need temp B.C registration.
Seller removes his plates and put the car on the transporter...

You call your insurance company with the VIN and let them kow you need coverage for the transport from B.C to ontario.

Quick Reply: Advice needed: Out of Province Private Sale