Looking for advice on having my 964 painted

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:06 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for advice on having my 964 painted

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on getting my 1989 964 repainted. I have never had a car re-sprayed before so I am not sure what he best route is. I will not be doing a colour change and I am not looking for a concours paint job either. The car has a few rust bubbles along the front and rear windshield which hopefully aren’t too bad to repair once the windows are out. The rest of it ‘seems’ to be in good condition. It has had a partial repaint at sometime due to a fender bender in the front.

So what is the best way to go about this without breaking the bank? Do people just have the rust spots fixed and then paint over the old paint? Or is it best to go back to bare metal and start from there? Anyone with experience know what the approximate cost of these routes will be? Any suggestions for shops to use in the GTA?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you enjoy the car by driving to 3-4 (or maybe 6?) body shops and talk to them about your options, and at the same time get some quotes. As you visit more of them, you will educate yourself on the best choice.... An experienced body shop will give you solid advice and they will also give you an estimate so you know what you are dealing with.

Driving the car around to the body shops is part of the fun...
Old 03-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

if you have the typical rust around the windows expect it to be a pretty big job as they have to cut out the rust and reweld and they have to pay a window guy to re and re the windows. It is hard to find a good body shop now a days. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:38 PM
terene
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If you can see rust, rest assured it will be 4 times worse once they get into grinding it! Once you start there is no return. Be prepared !

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on having my 964 painted