Notices

BC raised speed limits to 120

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
When B.C. raised speed limits on some highways this week, following the lead of states and provinces across North America, it reflected a growing consensus: faster is often safer.
Provided you have cars in good condition and drivers that leave their attitudes at home, yes.

In Germany my regular cruising speed (on 4 wheels) is 190.

And if you take the time to search Google and look up traffic fatalities globally, you'll find Germany has a far lower rate than North America. And if anyone knows anything about plain old physics, the chances of surviving an accident decreases exponentially as the speed increases, so they are doing damn good at speed.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 PM
swervindreamz
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Donster
I think every province has some version of an impound law for excessive speed now. For a lot of major Bc highways that threshold isn't reached until >160 km/h.

On the other hand, radar detectors and laser jammers are legal in BC...
That they are but the police are so aware of it that it doesn't make them too useful, This said, you will certainly be warned soon enough at times to adjust sped.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Final thoughts on highway speed-limits:

- Every jurisdiction that has raised speeds to 120 (or higher) has found accidents rates go down - fact. Utah raised their limits to 85mph (on some highways) and found that the majority of people drive 75mph.

- The avg speeding ticket on the 400 series highways is 18kph over. The Lib's want you to believe that people will *then* be a avg of 18kph over that new limit of 120kph making the speeds now 138kph. This is pure fear mongering as people are 18 over now as that is the natural speed for our highways and they would still be under a new limit of 120kph if it were allowed. Very few people will be going more then 10 over if the limit were raised to 120.

- The *real* Liberal *fear* isn't safety - its that people won't speed much over a 120kph limit and that this would affect the Provincial Treasury. All those tickets for going 18 over in a 100 zone - poof - money gone. All those OPP resources could then be put into doing some real investigative work like, oh, I don't know, corruption?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
- The *real* Liberal *fear* isn't safety - its that people won't speed much over a 120kph limit and that this would affect the Provincial Treasury.
I always said that if it really is about safety, let me make out the fine to a charity. Oh, that would go over well.

How does Queen's Park explain the lower accident and fatalities on the autobahn where I and everybody else generally "cruise" at 190.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:29 AM
swervindreamz
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has made a great impact for trucks hauling a trailer with a load as you don't have to be on the brakes near as much down the big inclines since 120-130 is a speed they reach naturally, before wind etc... take over.

Quick Reply: BC raised speed limits to 120