Notices

new toys for the garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I was in the same situation way back when I purchased a set like yours. I then bought an expensive impact gun separately, and it did the trick.

I think I may still have it in the garage. If you want to try it out, let me know and Ill see if I can dig it up.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 AM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely going to need a better gun.

I have two CT ones and they suck.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
There are high flow connectors available. The impact gun might be marginal, and also not getting enough air at the gun end.

I read this on garage journal. My next trip to Harbor freight I will pick some up to try.

A new gun shouldn't have problems with lug nuts. Axle nuts maybe.

I've had the Stanley impact from CT for a few years now and happy with it.

Unrelated, I think that hose reel is supposed to be vertical.
The wrench does say to set the pump on max 90 psi. I could actually increase it to 125 but didn't try it.

As for the reel, I don't think it damages it this way. My support framing is a 2x4 horizontal in that spot. There is no vertical framing there other then the edge of the wall and the edge of the garage door. Either one not being a good spot to mount it, though could be done if I were to put in plywood in between them to support it. Not sure that would look that great or that it really is a requirement to be vertical. I'll have to look at the install guide I guess.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:05 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Re:reel

I'm on my phone, so I didn't quote.

I was wondering if you take out a lot of hose and wind it back in that the hose will want to fall off the bottom half of the spool due to gravity. Especially since it's an open reel.

Put a piece of vertical blocking between the horizontal framing to get good meet to mount it to.

All the winches, reels I've seen have the wheel vertical. I've got the PA one, hose works well in cold, and it's enclosed and spring powered.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

yes I did wind it all out, and it spooled back fine no issues with it falling to the bottom half.

There is a least 3 foot spacing, picture below shows it, closest on the front right.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Jumper,

Sounds like you're set.

My hose reel is mounted higher up, about 7' off the ground. I pull down to remove the hose. Being higher up, it seems to help with the retracting.

I have run my Stanley branded gun at higher psi for axle nuts. For lugs, I usually can zip them off with 90psi.

The last set of wheel bearings I did, the gun didn't take them off. I still have a 5' long pipe and 190+ lbs of middle aged man to get it unstuck. Was really surprised that you the bolt or socket didn't snap.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

AWESOME garage space!! I was following along the build thread! Amazing!

A bigger compressor that pushes more air will be your ultimate solution. You need at least a 5cfm compressor to properly run a 1/4 impact wrench at 90psi. For automotive work, this is key. Also, if you want to use tools that use continual air pressure, like grinders or cut-off wheels, you'll need even more cfms. The one you got is probably a 2cfm...

Also, you should get a compressor with a bigger tank so that it's not always on ~ damn things are loud and will constantly want to fill...You'll go nuts in no time!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993

A bigger compressor that pushes more air will be your ultimate solution. You need at least a 5cfm compressor to properly run a 1/4 impact wrench at 90psi. For automotive work, this is key. Also, if you want to use tools that use continual air pressure, like grinders or cut-off wheels, you'll need even more cfms. The one you got is probably a 2cfm...

Also, you should get a compressor with a bigger tank so that it's not always on ~ damn things are loud and will constantly want to fill...You'll go nuts in no time!
Definitely. Grinders use lots of air and even the compressor running won't keep up. Big tanks baby.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 PM
molson cdn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Went by Cdn tire in Stouville yesterday to pick up some crazy glue and noticed they were selling all these air tools for a great deal. Picked it all up for about 450 taxes in.
You have to be very carefull when you go into a cdn tire store.

take a look at this - you might find it interesting since your spending money on your garage. Really handy.

http://www.lowes.ca/extension-cords-..._g1572142.html
Old 02-25-2015, 12:01 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Jumper,

The impact wrench in the kit is probably only 350 lb-ft, it's OK for smaller stuff, I have a 500 lb-ft Ingersoll Rand for the last 11 years and it's much better, especially given I only power it with a 6 gallon pan-cake compressor I can easily fit in the trunk of my Accord to take it somewhere easily, I have cranked up the pressure to 125 psi at times to get more out of it, but usually it will be fine at 90 psi.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:33 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boman993

Thanks. Yes bigger tank would help if I used it a lot. Right now I change wheels maybe twice a week in in summer and the odd time for the other vehicles. It's mainly used to fill up tires. Also I noticed this tank losses pressure after 2 days it has very little left in it and requires to be pumped up again. I don't like leaving it on to have it fill up all the time so the fact I have to turn it on and wait every time I use it is annoying.

It doesn't take that much effort to take my lug wrench and break the nuts off . After all I have to torque them after putting them back on anyways.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by molson cdn
You have to be very carefull when you go into a cdn tire store.

take a look at this - you might find it interesting since your spending money on your garage. Really handy.

http://www.lowes.ca/extension-cords-..._g1572142.html
Looks handy.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:49 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aviography
Jumper,

The impact wrench in the kit is probably only 350 lb-ft, it's OK for smaller stuff, I have a 500 lb-ft Ingersoll Rand for the last 11 years and it's much better, especially given I only power it with a 6 gallon pan-cake compressor I can easily fit in the trunk of my Accord to take it somewhere easily, I have cranked up the pressure to 125 psi at times to get more out of it, but usually it will be fine at 90 psi.
Looking at the spec this is 420 lb-ft but it requires SCFM of 5 @ 90 PSI. The pump I got is 4 @ 90 PSI. I should have went with the same looking pump but the blue one. It does 5.2 @ 90 psi and has a 3 hp compressor vs 2 hp on the black one. The blue one wasn't there in the sale area when I was looking at them.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:05 PM
petee_c
Drifting

You could piggyback a 2nd tank to get a little more reserve capacity, but not a biggy.

You are looking air from your hose connections likely, again not a big deal. I try to remember to leave mine shut off when not in use. It's an old champion belt drive twin cylinder oiled pump with a 25 gallon tank. I may plumb a shut off ball valve close to the compressor to try to keep the air.

If you're not happy with the torque on that wrench, I've got a electric corded one that I picked up for cheap. I remember it took lugs off without issue.

Quick Reply: new toys for the garage