Notices

out of province sales taxation practices?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Skid
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Would like commentary from direct knowledge... if I am buying a car from Ontario to bring to Alberta, and I don't ship (i.e. drive it back myself) , so pay full HST, how certain am I of being able to obtain rebate from gov of Ontario for the non-GST portion of the HST?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I just sold an Audi S6 in Toronto to a guy who flew in from Alberta to drive it back.

I went with him to the MTO (Ministry of Transportation) after I sold him the car. He did not have to pay any taxes at all. He had to show ID (two pieces IIRC) and he could not use his license (IIRC) which was weird. Passport was acceptable.

He provided insurance and was allowed to purchase a temporary trip plate, or something to that effect.

He drove the car back home and then had to get it inspected in Alberta before he could get it licensed.

BTW, when we got the first person at the MTO, she had to ask for help from someone else. It seems that even at the MTO office, not everyone was aware of what had to be done.

Call an MTO to confirm, but I am pretty sure that is the procedure.

Funny story, the guy buying the car left in the middle of a snow storm, and drove back all through Canada, instead of going through the US, so he could listen to internet radio from his phone without getting a huge bill.

The trip took him on some roads with almost no consistent traffic. Total trip was about 3400km. All this on a car with 350k km!

20km from home, and he loses a serp belt. If that had happened in the middle of nowhere, he would have been in deep trouble.

Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2015, 04:39 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by shotor
Recently purchased a car from a dealership in Ontario and had it shipped to Vancouver.

I got them to charge me GST at 5% and provide a GST/HST number on then bill of sale. Then I paid my PST at the AutoPlan agent when I registered the car. This was possible because I was not taking possession of the vehicle in Ontario.

ICBC told me that, had I paid full Ontario taxes, I could apply to get the none-applicable portion back from the federal government. But still would have had to pay PST in BC.
Thank you.
This is my situation however the Ontario dealer has also charged PST which i am asking for a PST refund from them before i register the car in B.C.
I really do not want to pay PST twice and apply to try and get it back....
Old 03-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Skid
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

He did not have to pay any taxes at all.
Thanks halo777, that MTO experience is similar to when I have bought cars from BC into AB (ex-BC HST period) and I think works well with private sales where buyer remits tax. For dealer sales, where the seller remits tax, they may be less accomodating. I'll check with some ON dealers. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:56 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, dealer might be different.

Interestingly, I was working on a deal with a dealership to sell my trade in to a buyer from the US. I know it sounds complicated, but the result was that the dealer would sell the car to a US buyer after I traded it in.

The US buyer obviously did not want to pay taxes. So, the dealer did some checking, and told me that the US buyer could buy the car and pay no taxes. The car would simply be signed over to the buyer with the ownership, and sold AS IS.

I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to do the same thing for a buyer from another province. They probably say 'no' as default, but maybe ask them to dig a little deeper. If you could get them to sign it over to you without paying any taxes, then you could go to the local MTO, and get the temp plate just like my S6 buyer did with the private sale.

Maybe it would help if you were actually from the USA

BTW, that deal did not go through because the US buyer backed out. But everything was setup and ready to go.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Recently purchased a car from a dealership in Ontario and had it shipped to Vancouver.

I got them to charge me GST at 5% and provide a GST/HST number on then bill of sale. Then I paid my PST at the AutoPlan agent when I registered the car. This was possible because I was not taking possession of the vehicle in Ontario.

ICBC told me that, had I paid full Ontario taxes, I could apply to get the none-applicable portion back from the federal government. But still would have had to pay PST in BC.
Is there a luxury tax in B.C?
I was told by that any vehicle over $45k has a 10% tax instead of the 7% PST?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:53 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes there is.

As per ICBC:
Luxury surtax applies to passenger vehicles when the
value for tax exceeds:
$55,000 to $55,999.99 7% plus 1%
$56,000 to $56,999.99 7% plus 2%
$57,000 and over 7% plus 3%

http://www.icbc.com/Documents/pst-vehicles.pdf
Old 03-02-2015, 05:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Yes there is.

As per ICBC:
Luxury surtax applies to passenger vehicles when the
value for tax exceeds:
$55,000 to $55,999.99 7% plus 1%
$56,000 to $56,999.99 7% plus 2%
$57,000 and over 7% plus 3%

http://www.icbc.com/Documents/pst-vehicles.pdf
Thanks!

Yup, the Ontario dealer charged me GST and the B.C PST plus the 3% B.C luxury tax...
15% tax.... talk about a money grab...
Old 03-02-2015, 08:03 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

No problem.

Its best to get them to reverse the charges. I assume getting money from the government is both arduous and time consuming.

I don't believe they can charge you BC PST without a BC PST number. A point which you might be able to use to get your money back. However, if they do have a BC PST number then you can show that ICBC and they should accept it.

Good luck.

Now the important question is: Did you buy something exciting/fun? If you care to share.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:12 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

No problem.

Its best to get them to reverse the charges. I assume getting money from the government is both arduous and time consuming.

I don't believe they can charge you BC PST without a BC PST number. A point which you might be able to use to get your money back. However, if they do have a BC PST number then you can show that ICBC and they should accept it.

Good luck.

Now the important question is: Did you buy something exciting/fun? If you care to share.
Yeah, they have a B.C tax # so they took the liberty of charging me.

Picked up a 2008 Turbo.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2015, 08:37 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Nice!

In my opinion the 997TT is the best value proposition in used cars right now. Excellent purchase.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:35 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Wow, nice Turbo

Quick Reply: out of province sales taxation practices?